Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which splitboard for "serious" conditions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:59 am 

Hello everyone,
This is my 1st post here but I've been reading the forum for the past 4-5 years now :)
I live in the french alps (just in front of Chamonix) and I've been splitboarding since 2007.
I currently have 2 splitboards : 1 Voilé Swallow Tail 178 and 1 Voilé Mojo RX 168 (last year model), as well as a resort board which is my favorite : F2 Eliminator WorldCup (last year model).
I love to ride the F2 board, which is a boarder-cross board, the toughest I've ever had (usually, the 1st time you try this board, you won't be able to turn if you weight less than 80kg...) - I actully also use this board away from the resort, on big drops or narrow couloirs...
The problem I have with both of my splits: They feel pretty "floppy"; the 178ST is great for deep powder on easy terrain and I bought the Mojo RX for "serious" terrain but I really don't like the Mojo RX behaviour, it's much better than the ST, it's lighter but riding is far from my resort board and I feel the construction is pretty week...
I have the voilé ligthrail bindings which improved the behaviour a lot but this year I'd like to buy a board which is not soft, that can be ridden on icy couloirs or even at the resort.
Which board should I look into? How does the Jones Solutions feels?
I've only looked at Voilé, Burton, Jones, K2 and custom build equipment until now - I don't know anything about other brands so if you have any other model than may suit my needs, let me know :)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Which splitboard for "serious" conditions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:54 am 

other factory splits to look into
Prior
Venture
Never Summer
Winterstick Tom Burt pro model

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:29 am 

Ditto

Tom Burt Pro

http://www.winterstick.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=14

Venture Odin

http://www.venturesnowboards.com/index.php?inc=odin_splitboard.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 am 

Thanks for the reply :)
The Winterstick Tom Burt Pro looks like the board I'm looking for! but there are 2 problems: 172cm is huge (I'm 170lbs/6 feets) and it's doesn't look like it's really available in Europe...

I might go with the odin, but I just wanna be sure it's stiff enough before ordering one, how do they compare to a Mojo RX or Burton S Series/Freebird for example? I didn't look into that board before because the shape made me think it's a specialized powder board (not for sharp couloirs or steep runs...),

This is what I mean with sharp couloirs :

I'm only using the mojo RX in there and I really don't feel as safe as with my resort board. The odin might not be that much better in those conditions (it'll certainly be stiffer).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:38 am 

I like the Jones. Although it's a 168, it turns on a dime, holds up to high speed chop pretty well. When I first got it I rallied all day in bounds on a dust-on-crust day and it rode really well on everything I ride on my solid board. I'd also recommend adding some k-clips to reduce chatter/floppiness. The rockered nose and tail will always get a little chatter on hardpack but it never really bothered me. The Jones holds an edge pretty well on ice as well in my experience.

Since we are posting photo examples:

Sick couloir in your photo! Is that Chamonix?

IMHO, stay away from the Voile and Burtons. Venture makes a great board, but don't know how easy it is to get those in France. Neversummer makes great boards too, that's what my solid boards are, but I think their splits are just not what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:38 am 

The Odin if definitely a stiff big mountain board, stiffer than the other Ventures and most splitboards I have seen.

You hay look into a Donek snowboards also.
http://www.donek.com/
They make custom race boards and will build any board you like and split it too. Very nice handmade boards, and may be similar to an F2 race-type boards.

If the Tom Burt 172 is to big, look at the ST 166. Winterstick will be happy to split that also.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 am 

shredgnar wrote:
Sick couloir in your photo! Is that Chamonix?

No, that's in the middle of nowhere ~ 100km from chamonix and ~ 40km from the huge resorts - there are many "hidden" places like that around, I guess if I knew them all, I could do 1 different couloir a day during the whole season - that's exactly in these kind of places I don't feel comfortable with the voile.

shredgnar wrote:
IMHO, stay away from the Voile and Burtons. Venture makes a great board, but don't know how easy it is to get those in France. Neversummer makes great boards too, that's what my solid boards are, but I think their splits are just not what I'm looking for.

I can't find any venture odin in France but it's available in switzerland (30min from here), I'd really like to try the odin but I think I might end up with a solution anyway, you're the 3rd person telling me the board is great in couloirs, this year it's even bundled with karakoram clips and widely available in France...

PedroDelfuego wrote:
The Odin if definitely a stiff big mountain board, stiffer than the other Ventures and most splitboards I have seen.

You hay look into a Donek snowboards also.
http://www.donek.com/
They make custom race boards and will build any board you like and split it too. Very nice handmade boards, and may be similar to an F2 race-type boards.

If the Tom Burt 172 is to big, look at the ST 166. Winterstick will be happy to split that also.

I hope I'll get a chance to try the odin but I've already made an expensive mistake (Mojo RX) and I've already tried 3 custom splits build around Chamonix and none were close to my f2 board, I think this year I'll stick with the solution and if I'm not convinced, I'll definitly look into donek

The USD is too high right now to import a board from the US anyway (import taxes are pretty high), and the season starts in about a month, I'd like to be ready by then...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:58 am 

The problem is your comparing your split to your solid and your comparing days in the BC to days at the resort. In this case your not going to find the perfect split. I've tried multiple boards with K-clips and chinese hooks and while the Voile Rx is far from perfect it's a nice board. In the BC your going to come across a spectrum of conditions. Doesn't matter what board your on breakable crust and icy slopes are always going to suck but the more you put yourself on those slopes and adapt your riding style the more your going to feel comfortable in those situations. You'll here guys make comments like I couldn't skin icy slopes until I got my karokorems or whatever, which is silly. The more you do something the better you get at it and skinning icy slopes will always suck no matter what your set-up.

So I would focus on skills first, get more comfortable/confident so you can charge that board and find it's good qualities. A board can only take you so far. One thing I did notice about the light rail/mojo combo is.. I kept feeling like on icy slope it was slow to move edge to edge. I couldn't figure out what is was but everyone I talked to said it's not the specs. Then it clicked I had absolutely no forward lean on my bindings, so no wonder the response was slow, I would tweak that a bit and see if you find a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 am 

Like Pedro said, Winterstick ST (Severe Terrain) looks right up your ally. It is a burly board (stiff torsionally and longitudinally) and I haven't found its speed limit yet (on a ST62). In fact it took me all year to get comfortable on it and it wasn't until the literally last day of the season that I gelled with it.

You won't find the Winterstick in a shop because they are custom made and not a mass produced board. They will slightly modify the design for you - like adding nose rocker if you ask. Dan, the designer is also on this forum from time to time.

http://www.winterstick.com/product_info ... ducts_id=6

Oh and the Jones comes with the Voile clips in EU, only Karakoram's in the US/Can. I've flexed a Solution compared to my wife's Mojo it is stiffer, but not as stiff as my WS. The Never Summer is maybe a bit stiffer than the Solution based on history, but I haven't flexed it by hand yet though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 am 

Actually, I don't really have problems using the split in tour mode and I don't expect them to be as good as my resort board on slopes/icy conditions - but the fact is that my resort board feels much much safer in these conditions.

The Mojo RX w/ lightrail was a huge improvement over my previous setup (ST178 + hardboots) but I still only use this setup for fresh pow days

We also had an old F2 eliminator that we split and it felt pretty good (you can still feel it being pretty stiff) but water came into the core within the season and the missing inside edge was a real problem.

I've been snowboarding 5 months a year for the past 20 years and over time I got used to stiff/race boards - of course I can still use softer boards but the mojo RX is way too soft for the kind of couloir you see above... I've never been good at riding steep couloirs with soft boards anyway, I don't think I can really improve that...

The other problem with the RX is the "monocoque" construction: While it's great for weight saving, the edge are really too week and after a season, I can see they moved a bit- I'd rather sell the split before breaking it totally (which will happen when it'll meet a real rock)

Actually, I think this splitboard suffers exactly the same problems as bc skis : they're made so light (great for going uphill) that going downhill sucks most of the time, compared to real skis...

I've already been told the jones solutions is a good tradeoff, not too heavy, not too light, not too soft, good or ok at everything but not really great anywhere either...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 am 

I'm suprised to hear the Jones is stiffer than the Mojo. The biggest complaint I've hear about the Mojo is it's WAY too stiff, which I don't mind for all things split related. So the Jones is stiffer......wow interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:08 am 

UTAH wrote:
I'm suprised to hear the Jones is stiffer than the Mojo. The biggest complaint I've hear about the Mojo is it's WAY too stiff, which I don't mind for all things split related. So the Jones is stiffer......wow interesting.

Utah, hers is the RX, which feels softer to my hand than maybe the older Mojos, which I agree were way stiff w/o the rocker? The Solution I flexed was a smidge softer in the nose, but definitely stiffer through the midsection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:21 am 

tiltedworld wrote:
Like Pedro said, Winterstick ST (Severe Terrain) looks right up your ally. It is a burly board (stiff torsionally and longitudinally) and I haven't found its speed limit yet (on a ST62). In fact it took me all year to get comfortable on it and it wasn't until the literally last day of the season that I gelled with it.

You won't find the Winterstick in a shop because they are custom made and not a mass produced board. They will slightly modify the design for you - like adding nose rocker if you ask. Dan, the designer is also on this forum from time to time.

http://www.winterstick.com/product_info ... ducts_id=6

Oh and the Jones comes with the Voile clips in EU, only Karakoram's in the US/Can. I've flexed a Solution compared to my wife's Mojo it is stiffer, but not as stiff as my WS. The Never Summer is maybe a bit stiffer than the Solution based on history, but I haven't flexed it by hand yet though.

Arg! This looks like it's (WS ST) what I'm looking for - even if it's heavy - I'm really confused now...