Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to splitboarding, and full of questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:16 am 

i know this conversation ended months ago, but i want to stress what someone mentioned earlier about trying a shorter board with a different cut. between rocker and wide noses with narrow tails, you may find that a stiff 161-165 gives you the same (if not more) float, just as stable a ride, but also more control in the trees and super steep jump turns.

normally i think board technology is mostly inflated marketing BS thats just invented to sell boards and raise prices, but in recent years weve come a long way with shapes, sidecuts, cambers and how they all work in powder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:58 am 

A conversation about gear never ends :D

I've taken a lot of advice from this thread, and plan to do some extensive demoing once the season kicks off here (7 weeks! yay!) and then hopefully make a buy early/mid next year.

Since this thread just got woken up anyway, are there any good equipped shops in NZ? I plan to go there next july/august and if I can get kitted out there I might put the buy off for another 6 months so I can "self import" a board to Norway (which would be preferable for "tax reasons" :wink: ).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:28 am 

Buy now, buy used, don't wait! Splitboard as soon and as often as you can. Get something cheap and get on the hill!

Definitely buy some Sparks, you will love them and they make a big difference. :twocents:

BTW: It's fun to take a table-saw to a perfectly good snowboard... and cheap...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:22 pm 

I do have a pair of MSR Lightning Ascent, and I don't have a lot of spare cash as I plan to spend 8 weeks in NZ the coming summer. For the moment I'll usually top out just around the time my mates have had a snack at the peak so it's not like I need a split *right now*. I'm also your typical slow and careful person so I don't buy anything before I know it's spot on :)

I'd love to take a table-saw to a board (heck, I might do it just for kicks) but I've got somewhere around 20 thumbs and I am already busy trying to build a backyard polejam so I am not sure that solution is for me.

I've got a broken Rome Targa binding here, and I swear on it Hamlet-style I'll have a split before the end of 2012 but I'd like it factory-fresh. I don't share my women ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:16 am 

Man, email Prior/check the website. Unless your ?kroner? is whip-hurting against the mighty loonie (lol) that setup should NOT cost you 2700. First, prior sells sparks, and they give you a discount on them when you buy with the board. Second, they have the dakine high roller bag. You could do one stop shopping.

Unless you're getting custom graphics/custom width or custom camber the whole shebang will be under 2K CDN.

Especially if you buy an in stock (they currently show one 169 AMF in new condition) the board is only 800. + the 300 for sparks (they're normally 350CDN but they give you 50 off for the board purchase) +150 for the voile hardware/skins + 20% off the shipping (whatever that costs to norway, check here http://www.priorsnowboards.com/buying-s ... online.php)..........should come nowhere near 2700.

Just checked and they don't stock that dakine bag anymore, but either way that should be something easy enough to find locally.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:17 am 

I suspect it's related to the 25% import tax that gets slapped on everything *after* transportation costs combined with the fact that the shops need a margin to pay rent and wages, both of which are generally very high in Norway.

If we plan to get a lot of gear, the airfare to the US/Canada generally pays for itself with the tax-evasion if we bring the stuff back and don't declare it (not saying I would do such a thing of course :roll: ). Combined with a dollar that has weakened itself a lot against our currency, I'm leaning towards taking a trip over to buy the stuff and since I am going to NZ anyway in some months I might try to get it all sorted down there. Or maybe fly home via the states.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 am 

Have you considered the UK? The Sick and the Wrong match the US prices and I purchased a Voila Mojo RX 161 in the spring. The service was really good and I am sure they ship to Norway, obviously you may get stung with taxes, but it may be worth giving them a shout. They also stock Burton, Unity, and Jones. www.sickandwrong.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:54 pm 

ivarni wrote:
A conversation about gear never ends :D

I've taken a lot of advice from this thread, and plan to do some extensive demoing once the season kicks off here (7 weeks! yay!) and then hopefully make a buy early/mid next year.

Since this thread just got woken up anyway, are there any good equipped shops in NZ? I plan to go there next july/august and if I can get kitted out there I might put the buy off for another 6 months so I can "self import" a board to Norway (which would be preferable for "tax reasons" :wink: ).

The splitboard scene here in NZ is only really getting started and its pretty difficult to source factory splits and split specific gear, although this is changing. The guys I know who have factory splits here had to get them overseas. Probably better to get a split before you come over. However there is a company just starting up here in Christchurch that are making split boards. Check them out.
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11658 and https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=511470&l=43a79e82b1&id=169413809779987

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:44 pm 

Thanks guys.

For the UK it is probably cheaper to just fly over and fetch it. Usually seems to work out cheaper than having UPS ship it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 am 

Staying above the trees? That means you're missing out on lots of fun!

Anyhow: I'm in Oslo. PM me if you want to try my 162 AMF sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:08 pm 

Quote:
'For the UK it is probably cheaper to just fly over and fetch it. Usually seems to work out cheaper than having UPS ship it.'

Seriously, check out the postal prices, I don't think the postage is excessive, tho' you will still probably have to pay the import tax! I work in a climbing shop just up the road from these guys, and we post stuff to Norway and Sweden all the time, to be honest, they are some of our best on-line customers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:04 am 

trondh wrote:
Staying above the trees? That means you're missing out on lots of fun!

Anyhow: I'm in Oslo. PM me if you want to try my 162 AMF sometime.

I just bought a Prior Spearhead 172, and live in Oslo. I also stay in Hemsedal a lot, so a demo might not be out of the question. That is if you want to try a longer board before you decide to buy anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:14 am 

Flying to London might not be a bad idea! Cheap flight Oslo - Heathrow, underground takes you to Covent Garden without having to change, 5 mins walk to Ellis Brigham, buy, quick beer and a wander, back on the tube and home.

That's if you want a Jones. Which you might not. Not really sure who else does other makes on the UK.

Or maybe a trip to Chamonix? Cheeky ski weekend to boot, and you're probably still up on the deal not having to pay postage and import duty!

Second Piedro's advice about just getting out there, too. I keep thinking about getting another split, something maybe a bit shorter or less stiff than the OG Mojo I've got, something with some rocker... etc etc. then I ride it and it doesn't really matter any more. Same with the mountain bike, I've got a mental list of upgrade bits that comes to quite a slice of cash that gets more important in my head the less I ride the bike.

I go for a ride, and can't imagine it being £2000 better with shinier bits on it!