Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Canuck Splitfest presented by Prior
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 pm 

quinnk wrote:
Wow... I wish I'd known about this event. Awesome. Have to say, the sheer number of riders out on the slope reminds me of that incident with all the snowmobilers down around Fernie or Creston last year... was anyone with more than just the basic avy course out digging pits and so on?

Between the Parks Canada and splitboard guide, Greg Johnson, presentations everyone had a really good understanding of the conditions. They stressed that the slides were the biggest in 30 years and that nobody should try to be a hero which I think everyone clearly understood.

I'm not 100% sure what everyone did but I think that most people stuck to the shoulders/trees outside of the large avi paths and dug pits if they felt that there was any concern. The biggest difference was that we weren't on sleds, riding open bowls, highmarking or standing watching somebody at the bottom of a slide path which I believe was what happened in the scenario that you mentioned (similar to the Revi slide last year as well - highmarking and watching at the bottom of a slide path). A little education goes a long ways and I think that the Canadian Avalanche Centre deserves a big up for really pushing education the last couple of years. Same as well to Parks Canada and Greg Johnson for their presentations.

http://www.avalanche.ca
http://www.splitguide.com/blog/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:58 pm 

And we weren't all in the same spot all together. We were spread out in multiple areas and at different times.

numbernine wrote:
quinnk wrote:
Wow... I wish I'd known about this event. Awesome. Have to say, the sheer number of riders out on the slope reminds me of that incident with all the snowmobilers down around Fernie or Creston last year... was anyone with more than just the basic avy course out digging pits and so on?

Between the Parks Canada and splitboard guide, Greg Johnson, presentations everyone had a really good understanding of the conditions. They stressed that the slides were the biggest in 30 years and that nobody should try to be a hero which I think everyone clearly understood.

I'm not 100% sure what everyone did but I think that most people stuck to the shoulders/trees outside of the large avi paths and dug pits if they felt that there was any concern. The biggest difference was that we weren't on sleds, riding open bowls, highmarking or standing watching somebody at the bottom of a slide path which I believe was what happened in the scenario that you mentioned (similar to the Revi slide last year as well - highmarking and watching at the bottom of a slide path). A little education goes a long ways and I think that the Canadian Avalanche Centre deserves a big up for really pushing education the last couple of years. Same as well to Parks Canada and Greg Johnson for their presentations.

http://www.avalanche.ca
http://www.splitguide.com/blog/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:38 am 

2011-2012 Canuck Splitfest????

Tread light, Shred hard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:46 pm 

scoho wrote:

...details coming soon....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:16 pm 

fingers crossed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:40 pm 

treepilot wrote:
scoho wrote:

...details coming soon....

Nice. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:51 pm 

I'll be there for sure, last year was a good time.

www.adventurelogistics.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:04 pm 

Bumpin up this old thred. Looking for a ride to the canuck splitfest 2012. Havent booked my flight yet but I can fly into Calgary between 11am and 5 pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18