Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice BC options between Tahoe City and Sugar Pine Pt?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:32 pm 

I have been in Tahoe many times and have done a little BC there, but have mostly ridden in the areas (Homiewood, Alpine, Squaw, etc). I understand that Ward Canyon and Grouse Rock, Twin Peaks is popular with the BC crowd, but are there other good tours for split boarding on the west shore? We have a place to stay under Eagle Rock (just north of Homewood at the mouth of Blackwood Canyon by Caspian St Pk) and something seriously close to that would be super. The slopes around Homewood ski area good? The walls of Ward Canyon? The south side of Scott Peak above Paige Meadows? The hills behind Pineland perhaps? Stanford rock sounds like another destination. We could go as far south as Rubicon Peak and Tallac, or up towards Truckee, but something local where we can do nice laps in the trees without driving much would be great. My wife does not like the super steeps, so you don't need to recommend anything ubergnar.

TIA

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post subject: Re: Nice BC options between Tahoe City and Sugar Pine Pt?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm 

Try the pulloffs around DL Bliss st park, they will be obvious w other cars Thats about as far South as most N shore cats go, but a trek to Tallac is well worth it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm 

Grouse is just barely OB from Alpine and as far as most resort skiers/riders go because the ridge dumps out from the bottom of Alpine. One ridge over is Little AK, then Twin Peaks. I access L-AK from Alpine, then hop over the ridge back to the lifts at the bottom. Mostly empty. Stanford Rock is an offshoot from Twin Peaks and I do the opposite, hopping over the ridge, across the meadow and skin Stanford.

The S side of Scott peak is also frequently accessed from Alpine, skiers left of Lakeview chair - Outer Outer Limits and goes to Ward Canyon Rd. You'd be competing for a lot of lines here.

Haven't ridden Blackwood Canyon yet, but the NW side of Blackwood ridge looks interesting to try. Other than that I think you have to go all the way to Barker Pass for some descents behind Twin Peaks. Lots of snowmo's here so you may be able to hitch a ride part way.

Aksltxlt is right - DL Bliss and at the emerald bay road closure for parking

Here's a good starter's guide to Tahoe Backcountry

http://www.thebackcountry.net/guidebook_sport.php

There's also a few guide books that cover tahoe http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0898866561
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615280633

Not an exhaustive list, but add them all together, plus what you garner from here and of course reading topos and getting out with folks, there's a ton of riding :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:14 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. The Bliss SP area puts you up the ridge between Rubicon and Jakes (aka Hidden) Pk? I suppose that area is desirable because there is no approach and the space between the trees is big? I have looked at a few slopes in Blackwood Canyon and there are some sweet meadow runs back there on the east wall, but they require a bit of an approach (prolly less than a mile). We were in Tahoe last Xmas and the place was getting positively shat upon with snow. :) I guess we will do a little experimenting when we hit town and ask around a bit too.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 pm 

Yes, Hidden is between Rubicon and Jakes. This post has more details with some pictures. http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1297

When are you going to be in Tahoe? Staying for the season?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:45 am 

Wow, that forum post has a lot more info than the online guidebook. Awewsome, thanks for the link. The photos of the skin routes are especially helpful. I will pop in to the shop and maybe pick your brains when we come down in December as to what the current conditions lend themselves to. We will be down over Xmas for a few weeks. We will be staying with relatives who live at Idylwild. I have spent two winter seasons in Tahoe before, but that was quite a few years ago. Great memories, those... :)

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:50 pm 

I don't work there, but the guys at the Backcountry are great.

I'll be up over Xmas with my family and will try to get a tour in wherever conditions are good. If work has "forced vacation time" in December, I might be up in Tahoe longer and get a few more tours in. Hope the conditions are good...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 pm 

want to ride great pow all by yourself? look up and left right before you get to eagle rock. or just ride tallac.