Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crampons for snowboard boots
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:20 pm 

I am looking for a lightweight (aluminum?) pair of crampons to fit my snowboard boots. My search is complicated by the fact that I wear size 13. Most crampons only go to size 12. I could make my own extender bar but I would need to find a set that would accomadate the wide toe and heel sections. Anything else I should consider 10 vs 12 point. Thanks, Wade

Post subject: Re: Crampons for snowboard boots
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 pm 

Still looking? Grivel makes a g10 wide crampon. Not sure how much wider it is though. I almost got them but I ended up just getting the normal size not the wide, because they fit really well. Then again, I only wear about a size 8.5-9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am 

is it ok and safe to attach crampons to snowboard boots?just asking cause i got to decide what to do

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 pm 

Yup, that is what a lot of us do! If you have the option, try them on your specific boots before you buy. All models are a little different and obviously all boots are going to be different in sizing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 am 

FirstAscent wrote:
Yup, that is what a lot of us do! If you have the option, try them on your specific boots before you buy. All models are a little different and obviously all boots are going to be different in sizing

allright thanx a lot for the answer,but how steep terrain can you climb with the crampons on the soft boots?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:31 pm 

I'd say it's not so much how steep a slope but perhaps how consolidated the snowpack is. On a 35-40 degree hard pack or iced over slope you might want to toe-in and that's when a full shank rigid mountaineering boot works best.

The trick is to be sure you match the flex of the boot's sole to the flex of the crampons. BD Contacts for instance might looks like every other universal strap crampon but the center bar is actually somewhat stiff so not the best with flexy hiking boots for instance. The Stubai Ultralight has a very flexible center bar so will work with just about any boot out there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 pm 

Nice info,thanx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 pm 

You can get a flex bar for the BD Contact Crampon which may be more suitable for your snowboard boot, they are quite expensive £29.99(UK): 'http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Crampon-Spares/Black-Diamond/Flex-Std-Centre-Bar-SS-BDI-BARFLSS', but you should be able to track them down at a good retailer in the States. If you go to nice store, they may even swap them for you at no extra charge, as long as they can keep the stiffer bar!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:44 am 

I will second the grivel g10 wide you should be able to get a pair that fits and the wide nose is great for snowboard boots. Also lots of Mountainers (Ed veisurs first american to climb the 8000 meter peaks) prefer strap on crampons.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:06 am 

i have these: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/ ... tibott.jsp

says it Fits euro boot sizes 35-46.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:05 am 

I bought Grivel's last season and love them. I ended up getting the regular size, not the wide, but that all depends on your shoe size. I wear about an 8-9 US and fitted them to Solomon malamutes. So if you have the option I'd try a few on with whatever boot you have.

I tried the BD contacts on as well and they fit pretty good too.

Post subject: Crampons for snowboard boots - go for the Spark Deeluxe boot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:27 pm 

I'm stoked, my trusty Petzl Charlet Vasak 12 pointers will work beautifully with my new Spark Deeluxe boots. So instead of a comprimise with the wrong boot and a crampon trying to match it, I've got the best of both worlds. Got a dozen pairs arriving from the USA today for me and 11 other lucky NZ customers, first in first served so get in touch quick! These boots have a proper Vibram sole, they are very light 1130g each, moisture liner, decent lacing system and a good tough lower boot outer to take the sort of beating a splitboard boot is gonna get. Will at Spark R&D loves his! check them out on www.sparkrandd.com , pics and specs of all the 2012 gear there. Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 pm 

For sale: Camp XLC 470 Semi-Auto Crampons

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11629