Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocker-camber for bigger guys?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:41 pm 

Been looking around for a new splitty. I've been riding a NS Legacy at the ski area for the past few seasons and want to get a similar splitty. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing in any size over a 165. I've checked out NS, Lib, Gnu - anyone else doing rocker-camber? I'm on a 166 at the ski area, and I've bulked up a bit in the past year, plus pack weight, so I'm looking at upper 160s. Does it exist?

Ad, yeah, I know Venture and some other companies got some bigger rockered boards, but I'm really feeling the rocker-camber, with an almost-centered stance - not some riding in the back seat with a bunch of taper type of board.

Post subject: Re: Rocker-camber for bigger guys?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 pm 

Sure there are big boards for us big boys, they're just a little harder to find. How about the Jones 168 Solution? It's a wide but handles great. Prior has the AMF and the Backcountry that might fit what you are looking for too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 am 

fustercluck wrote:
I'm really feeling the rocker-camber, with an almost-centered stance - not some riding in the back seat with a bunch of taper type of board.
This is interesting. I'm wondering if you could explain more? My experience hs been (I ride a Legacy on resort, Venture Zephyr for a split) that the flat camber initiates a more fluid turn and floats exactly the same as a RC, but both are not in the back seat. RC I do feel is slightly more "turny" and playful for ollies and air, but for speed and power, the flat camber is where its at for me. IMO the flat camber is better in the BC for big lines and open terrain in untracked powder, where RC is better for trees and tracked out terrain, making it better on resort. They each have their place to me, but I wouldn't write off flat camber in any way in a splitter :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:48 am 

You'll probably want to look at the prior AMF, very nice centered freestylish board with a good flex pattern. I love mine. Camber under foot, rocker at tip and tail.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm 

^^^^exact opposite of what I'm looking for. The NS is rockered between the bindings, cambered to the tip and tail. Just dig the way it rides and fits my riding style. I've never felt that I could ride in the backcountry the way I do inbounds - riding pow switch, spinning off cliffs and pow rollers at high speed, being able to play with the terrain instead of just riding it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm 

Its all good, everyone has their own style, and I think with what you described RC technology is where its at. I wish you luck on finding that board, but you may have to get a custom job or make one yourself...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:11 am 

Have you looked at the Tom Burt pro split from winterstick?

172 iirc, looks like a bomber BC board!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 am 

Isn't the Tom Burt just a regular camber deck?

How much do you weigh? I'm riding the Neversummer 163X SL split. I kick in at around 240lbs and it works just fine for me. The rule of thumb with rockered boards has been you can size them down a bit due to the float they have. Then the other rule of thumb has been to size your splitboard up about 6cm from what you ride at the resort. I figure they just negate themselves out and ride whatever.

Anyway, it is a wide board so I do make up for some of the loss of length with the width. I've found it to be a super stable and fun board to ride pow or big lines with. The rocker between the feet actually rides better in spring conditions than a cambered or flat between the feet deck as I found out last season. In wet, spring conditions I found that the SL had a lot less grab than a Venture or cambered deck. Surprisingly so. I think it has to do with the surface contact of the flat between the feet instead of the rocker. More surface, more drag from the snow it seems. Either way, when it gets goopy, it's not like it's much fun on anything.

In powder, I'll give the edge to Ventures design It really does float effortlessly. Their boards also skin a big better too. The rockered tips really dive up out of the snow when breaking trail. The SL does too, but just not as much.

You might shoot VMan a PM here on this board. That's Vince from Neversummer, he's their marketing/customer service guy. I believe he said they were adding a longer SL to their line up, a 166 I think. It's not on their site yet, but I am thinking it was going to be offered this season. I could be wrong though...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:41 am 

"Nose and Tail shape: I designed the nose and tail for overall riding. The nose is 23cm long with a long flat rocker, which is great for lift in powder and crud; this allows for weight to be shifted forward while initiating a turn, giving edge control throughout the turn. Also the nose shape leaves the effective edge fairly straight for 10cm or so thus forcing the nose to help initiate turns especially on steeper terrain. The tail is 17cm with similar rocker to the nose. It is there to ride fakie, and to extend the tail length to give stability to landing airs."

Tom Burt is a pretty big dude also i think...

http://blog.winterstick.com/2009/11/29/toms-review-of-the-tb172/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 am 

DTM?

http://customsplitboards.com/index.php?pr=neversummergallery

I may have to get this one chopped eventually, its a 165 heritage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 pm 

Since Winterstick is essentially a custom stick you can have them add rocker to it. They added nose rocker to mine. Not sure if they do the type of RC/Flying V/C2BTX flex pattern you are looking for, but worth a call to them. The TB72 and the ST66 would fit your size range you're looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 pm 

Love the RC tech From NS...and it is much different than priors or JJ's rocker profile. I too would assume that NS could custom make a larger board for someone. Maybe a NS revolver split?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 am 

I was wrong on the 166 SL btw. Looks like Neversummer is going to add that to their line up for next season. Bummer.

They do make the Summit in larger sizes that the OP is looking for. That is actually a great big mountain gun and has the rocker/camber profile with a big set back. It is very much a directional board though.