Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VT or ADK friend search
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:21 am 

I'm looking for some new friends in the area to join our rotating cast of adventurers this winter. I live in Vermont, but in recent years have shunned the offerings of the Green Mountain State in favor of the more diverse and aesthetic experiences of the 'dacks. Our crew is energetic, fun, safe, experienced, and does not frown upon hauling a fat sack of beers into the High Peaks to enjoy post-excursion refreshments back at base camp. Some get down hills with more style and finesse than others. Week long trips into the mountains are not uncommon, and we're trying to put together a trip to Les Chic-Chocs for the entire month of April. I enjoy breaking trail, but you must not drag too much ass. Female energy and perspective would be a welcome addition to any split-board journey, but males are also welcome to apply. Trail running, distance swimming, and climbing (I'm new this year and top out at a 5.9 sport) partners are also eligible for companionship.

Post subject: Re: VT or ADK friend search
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:40 am 

Hey,

I'll be having a baby this Nov. (well, my wife will) so may not be available for long trips, but otherwise I'm always down for an adventure.

I'm based out of Smuggler's Notch and do some guiding. Get around the 'Daks and Whites when I can.

You can wait for me on the way up, and I'll wait for you on the way down!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 am 

My buddy is actually relocating from Waterbury to Jeffersonville this fall, so we might actually put a couple days in off the Notch road there this winter. I'll keep you posted on our goings on and hopefully we can hook up for some mountain time. Congrats on the baby!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:18 pm 

Hey guys, I've said this in a few other new england posts but I'm down. I too am at Smuggs, living across the street from the Brewski, well soon to be Brewster River Pub and Grill. Anyways my wife and I did tours all over this valley last winter and are probably not getting passes this winter. So we will be solely splitting. We are super familiar with the back bowls that let out on the notch road, and have been exploring the other peaks around Smuggs.

The snow is gonna come heavy this year. I would love to go to the 'dacks this winter. And we plan on going on our honey moon to the Chic Chocs. I'm game, I'm very much like a train when touring, a constant rhythm.

I would love to rent out Camp Peggy OBrien near mount Marcy. I've been using the AMC backcountry skiing books by David Goodman. My wife bought me a few avalanche and weather books thatthey use in avalanche courses but I have no hands on training. But I'm smart and safe and don't like taking risks with our lives, so I'm not one to push beyond what feels comfortable and doable. I would really like to do some winter camping, do you ever use sleds to drag your great behind you?

I can't wait to get out there, and we should definitely poach mad river and come down with first chair. I had those skier elites.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 am 

What's up Chef Ben?

I'd be into a couple of tours up of the Notch road, and it sounds like you're in a great location up there in Jeff when they start pumpin out the ruinous concoctions of malts, hops, yeast, and water. Good for you!

I have elected to forgo a pass the last few years, and have tried to put most of my efforts into overnight trips in either the dacks or the Whites. If it's a "day" trip, we'll haul ass out there after work, skin until we get ourselves set up for a good day, and either sleep in a lean, tent, or bivies. Last year, we focused on the John's Brook area and put in some time on Gothics, Lower and Upper Wolfjaw, Basin, Saddleback, and the south side of Armstrong. We also got out to Macomb. We even had an October 15th descent of one of the Whiteface slides, which was incredibly fun. Not much snow, but just the right consistency to keep everything covered.

We're not experts on everything mountaineering or avalanche, but we carry beacons, probes, shovels, ice tools and crampons when the weather and terrain call for them. I usually am part of the light is better crowed and cram in and strap on a bunch of shit into a mid-size pack as opposed to dragging a pulka along. I've had a few friends try DIY sled projects, but they seemed unstable, annoying, and uncomfortable. If one of these friends hadn't hauled 60 plus beers into the woods, I would have pointed and laughed.

Anyway, I'd love to hang out with both of you fellas, have a beer up there in Jeffersonville, and talk about the upcoming season. When my buddy moves up there in November, I'll feel more compelled to make the trip. I live in Winooski.

Be well,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:21 am 

Hey Ben, I posted in the other thread, but I'll be living up near smuggs with some of my buddies who work at Bolton. I'm heading up there after I finish my degree in Dec (will certainly be heading up for any early storms), but I was able to grab a triple major card for the last year, so I'll be hitting up jay a good amount too. The AMC book I have also and it is very informative, definitely has some good spots. Winter camping is something that I could get into, Marcy looks like it would be a good time. I think this may be my last season for a little bit on the east, so I am going to try and explore as many spots as I can. I also have avy and touring books, but in the end it is experience I am lacking.

This is the first year I had the time/money to invest in a split. The reason I love snowboarding is because of the rush you get from pointing it down something steep/technical or hitting a big air, but I ride to ride another day and am usually digging around for the pow stashes. Poaching MRG is something I will certainly be doing this year, wonder if you can split there after they start turning the lifts, could always hit up the bush once the lifts open if so. I also will be spending some time in the whites I'm sure and hopefully will get some time in the dacks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:54 pm 

hey im in quebec city, have gained some knowledge on the chic chocs from last winters professional avalanche course would love to get back out there with a group of guys and do it right. im working towards my guide certification so i need to guide a group of people on a couple 4500ft days if anyone is interested!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm 

Count me in as well!

Have spent a bunch of time exploring a bunch of the slides in the dak' and always looking for more partners. I am living in Vergennes, VT right now so am right near the bridge to NY and the High Peaks once the bridge is open. Also up for riding here as well as I will have a very flexible work schedule this winter I think.

Do have avy training and definitely like getting out for longer trips into some steeper stuff. Enjoy combining climbing, ice axes and such with splitting when possible.

So let me know once the snow starts flying, I am psyched. 2 nights below freezing this week!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 am 

hey there clindberg. i see you there on top of true north. just got back from a backpacking trip around the high peaks. man, things sure are different. I climbed up back in the saddle, which is not really that far back there anymore, and chicken coop, which goes all the way up to the summing of saddleback now. cool stuff. would love to get out there on to the steep stuff as well. hit me up and perhaps we can plan something sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:42 pm 

Didnt realize there were so many splitters in the area... Very cool... I also live up near Smuggs and spend a lot of time in the Notch. My season is split between Smuggs and the Mammoth Lakes area in the Eastern Sierra. Would love to meet some other splitters in the area for sure. Would also love to get up in the Daks at somepoint as i have never been.

Chef_Ben are you above the old deli? Which is now really yellow?

here is an edit i put together from last season if interested. Moslty skiers with a few boarders including myself.

Not sure how to add video here so here is a link.

http://vimeo.com/30553546

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm 

Hey all, I'm located in philly but I'm in VT a ton. if I can get my split gear sorted out, i'd love to meet up with some poeple to ride this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 am 

I am pretty familiar with the terrain around the back and sides of Bolton and adjacent peaks, out there almost every weekend when the snow flies.. been splitting for 4 years now. Missed out on a first trip to True North last winter due to weather. Interested in dax trips and love Mt Washington. I'm down for powder, period. Have a newborn at home this winter, so long, multi day trips are on the back burner for me, except for spring at tux or Chic-Chocs. An overnighter or two may be possible. Am more than willing to tear it up anywhere in central and northern VT. I am a bit slow on the climb up, but will slay pow on the ride down. Would love to explore the notch area this year too. Safety is key :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am 

I'm seven hours drive from the high peaks (from Toronto), but I'm fully set up for splittin' in the dacks. I've got one extra set of safety gear in case anyone needs...well, I'm almost fully set up, as I would need a good -30 bag!

Let me know when you've got something planned if you don't mind an extra partner.

Steve