Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pieps Vector
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 am 

Apologies if this beacon has been discussed in other threads but a quick search didn't turn anything up.

http://blog.tahoemountainsports.com/201 ... rket-soon/

The whole idea of GPS/combined with a beacon has really intrigued me. I purchased a couple of those Rhino two-way radios when they came out probably 8 years ago or so. They had GPS and could store information on up to something like 30 friends' positions. The flaw was that to note your position you had to transmit. I lost one of the radios on a big powder day and realized the thing had the technology to kind of tell me where it was...if only it would transmit...like a beacon...but it didn't.

I'm sure there must be signal issues with someone buried, and this beacon really isn't using the GPS to note exactly who is where, but it sure feels like things are getting closer to that. And if we end up at a point where beacons can literally tell you who is buried where, it raises some interesting ethical questions. Assuming two people are buried - both share similar distance, terrain/safety considerations, and the system can't transmit vitals - but you know exactly who they are. Who do you go after first if you're the lone searcher?

I guess we don't have to really think about that just yet...

Post subject: Re: Pieps Vector
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:43 am 

If it's your child/spouse/parent/person who donated a kidney to you, I would say get that one out first. friends/strangers come out in the order you get to them...If you ever finds themself in a multi burial situation. And if one is repeatedly in this situation they need to start evaluating their terrain selection better.

but what do i know?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 am 

This is why when dogs wear transmitters it can add another level to the mix. Probably best to go for the closest one or the one furthest uphill so you can get one done ASAP so you can get your other partner. Just a side note I like to practice hiding beacon with my son and it is like a game and he is becoming very good at it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:49 pm 

Beaches are supposed to be perfect for that. Unfortunately no one around where I live own beacons. Plenty of beach, though.