Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: NH/ME region this winter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:47 am 

YES! East Coasters! I'm so pumped to do more backcountry this upcoming season. I've have not tried a splitboard, and been looking around, but can't really find much information for ME/NH/VT, people selling boards or trips etc. I'm so glad this east coast thread is not from 2006 but from last month.

I need a splitboard - Or a place I can rent - and people to do this with. I hiked up to Tucks last winter, but it was too early in the season, and bad avalanche conditions, but had a sweet ride down the Sherbourne Trail. I live in Jamaica Plain (Boston), native Mainer, and would love to meet up with other folks. I'm new to this, but would so much rather spend my time and money hiking/splitboarding up and riding down.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:51 am 

Chef Ben - If you don't mind me asking how tall is your girl? My lady's about 5'7'' and I'm trying to figure out a good size to make a split for her. Was thinking around 154 but not entirely sure. Love that whole Mansfield/ Smuggs/ Stowe area and we're probably gonna move up there hopefully soon.

JP_rider- I live in Somerville (Davis square) and have all the tools needed if you find a cheap board you want to cut up. Also we should definitely work in some trips this winter. I got the bug so bad now that it's starting to get cold at night.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 am 

Charlie Day- My girl is about 5' 10", about 215. She is down to go anywhere but won't drop a cliff I'd she can find an alternate route. She rides a 156 on the mountain. the longer length in the backcountry makes her happier skinning and when out gets deep she can really tell the difference. I'vebought her the Jones hovercraft split 156 cause I think she would like the longer bord feel when cruising but be comfortable with the agility still available to her. And if I like it then I'll get one for myself, I just dont fully trust that a short 156 will work for me. I'm 6' 2" 280.

Come snow baby. It kinda frosted a bit last night here at smuggs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:20 pm 

stoked more people have joined the thread. i used to hike Peaked Mt myself. i think my friends and i were the first to snowboard it back in like 91 or so. when we got sick of cranmore we would head up there. such a short hike for really good terrain. the very top face on the south west side has so many good lines. there is a good double line up there. its like a 10 ft to a 20ft then a narrow landing zone between these two rocks with a decent run out. if you dont slow down you are in the trees for sure. the front face is great to. lots of wide open slabs and pillows.
I really want to check out Mt Chocorua, the great gulf, and gulf of slides this year. looking to do an overnight too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:54 pm 

Hey JP-

I guide b/c, split, and kite tours out of Smugglers Notch area, and occasionally in the whites or daks. Have a board you can rent and can show you around and some shortcuts to efficient skinning, etc.

All- we're looking at having a splitfest/ meetup/ round trip race at Smuggs late this winter... already some promising sponsors on board. I'll announce formally once we have dates confirmed. But essentially a gathering of all folks split with a up/ down race to rally around. Folks who don't wan't to race will be able to split to some of the more interesting 'gates' (mandatory drops, gullies, chutes, etc.) (and help hand out some 'style points')

Also demos and beginner skinning clinics up the road.

Anyway... Ben- You're @ smuggs? I must know you? (or at least have seen you out there?)

And Magic! First 'real' mountain I ever hiked to ride when they were closed...

Shouldn't this be renamed as a 'Northeast' thread?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:50 am 

It snowed a trace up here in Tucks this morning. It wont last but it definitely gets the stoke up. Little irregular 2mm flakes. Time to celebrate first snow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:34 pm 

first snow is always sick! maybe we ll get another early blizzard in october like a few years back. that was sick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:26 pm 

@earth surfing, can the race include a Clydesdale division For chef Dan and I?

At any rate looking forward to shredding on the east coast this winter. Grew up in the seattle area. Spent the last three winters in Utah, did a trip to chamonix last year. I ride a skunk ape 169 on groomers, prior khyber for pow, and a 170 khyber split for touring. I'll ride whatever, just no rails.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:10 am 

It was like xmas morning when I found this thread! Im a NH native been riding 16yrs. @ ridefreeordie do you know Mike? he used to be hermits and carter caretaker, he is friends with my buddy who I stay with in ctr conway a lot, works at wildthings in n conway. I live in derry nh which is right by manchester. I have rode all over new england and I am a fan of Jay, Mansfield, Wildcat, Cannon. I have been piecing together my split setup and Cant wait to put resort riding on the backburner. As boards go I have a Jamie Lynn pheonix, and When Jeremy decides to ship them I will have a 160w mountain twin solid, and a 163w solution with karakourams which showed up friday!! I ride weekdays and sundays (work every saturday) Looking forward to winter and getting deep in the backcountry!!

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 pm 

always wanted to go to chamonix. i went to val d'isere for the third time last year. great snow the alps are so rad. the lift accesable terrain is crazy and the off piste is off the hook. getting a guide out the there is the way to go. the french know how to do it! i lived in seattle for a couple years. lived in belltown work as a soux chef at ten mercer at the foot of queen anne hill. i miss the powder day everyday scenerio out there. living in the city no snow, 50 mins away 30 ft snowbanks on the side of the highway. baker and stevens were dope but alpenal was my fave due to the fact it was so close. the backcountry around alpental was so fun. endless pillows, cliffs, steep chutes, etc.. snoqualmie is fun in the spring when its sunny and soft. the park there was so sick. i miss seattle alot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:26 pm 

Holy crap. How many chefs are on this thread? @Murphy, I worked at Earth and Ocean and Sazerac, and am now a chef on the vineyard. I Remember after graduation practice from high school, driving up to Paradise with my pals and hitting a little kicker in June. Did most of my riding at Crystal. Actually went back last winter for the North Face Masters. Chamonix/Courmayeur is Tits and I plan on going back this winter. I'll be using the same guide as last year for mountaineering training/ big stuff. The snow was shite, but fun, and scary. I want to get into more sketch, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:41 pm 

BTW, anybody interested in Cham should watch The Edge Of Never. Great Shred stoke even though it's skiing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:30 pm 

Professor cookie wrote:
BTW, anybody interested in Cham should watch The Edge Of Never. Great Shred stoke even though it's skiing.

Its a great story too, The guide Stefan dan, is in deeper and The art of flight, wicked sick skier

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next