Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 pm 

Yup. I would not feel safe using Bomber bindings or Cateks with this boot because of the their oversize bail wires. I suspect one could twist out of the binding.
Of course, it would be sort of pointless to use such a lightweight boot with such an overbuilt/heavy binding. I use Burton Race Plate toe and heel pieces direct mounted to the Voile Slider, and they are totally secure with this boot, as well as being superlight, and very low to the board. This is a fantastic set up.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 am 

barrows wrote:
I use Burton Race Plate toe and heel pieces direct mounted to the Voile Slider, and they are totally secure with this boot, as well as being superlight, and very low to the board. This is a fantastic set up.

Hi Barrows. One of the reasons I didn't pick up the TLT5s was that I use Bomber plates. I'm thinking of giving them a shot this year but where do I buy Burton Race Plates? Since I'm riding mostly powder, the Bombers are overkill but I broke a pair of the Voile plate bindings so something in between would be ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:04 pm 

Don,

Best bet is to watch ebay, and if you see a pair of Raceplates, jump on them, as they seem to go pretty fast. Otherwise, Bomber does sell the Raceplate as the the "Ibex" binding as an expensive new binding.
Note that you will have to modify the the Voile slider plate to fit the Raceplate toe and heel pieces, and you will not really be able to adjust it for different size boots-but new slider plates are pretty cheap, so this is not a big deal. Also note that Chris Klug (a pretty big guy) won an Olympic medal riding this binding, set up properly you do not have to worry about breaking it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:23 am 

Thanks Barrows, I'll keep an eye on Ebay and pick up the Ibex if I can't find anything between now and the season.

Even if I don't end up with the TLT5s, this helps me a lot... I was getting tired of hauling the Bombers up the hill in my pack.

When you say you had to mod the slider plates, that just mean drilling some holes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:45 am 

Yeah, the mounting holes do not line up, so the holes in the slider plate have to be filed, or in some cases, new holes drilled to fit the Raceplate toe and heel pieces. Also note that the slider plate is only long enough to accommodate boot sizes up to about 28.5/29 with a direct mount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 pm 

WOW!These boots are near perfect out of the box.Might be alittle too soft in the front foot without the tongue but im figuring that will be the only mod ill have to do.Saved a bunch of weight and the degree of ankle movement is huge when touring.
Barrows called it spot on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 am 

Thanks for the info... I'm still waiting for somebody that has had a chance to test the TLT5 MTN with the Bomber Splitboard binding. If that combo works, I'm going to replace my 9 year old Dynafit boots in an instant!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am 

Barrows, any concern with the Intuition liners being too big for the shell? I was looking at these boots last year and was told if I wanted to put a different liner in I should size up a bit since the stock liners are so thin. Have you replaced your liners yet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:43 pm 

Boot volume is a concern for sure.Iwas running zzero boots for the last 3 years and went up a half size. Tried the stock zzero liners in the new boots and got a tighter fit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 pm 

Crooked: I have not replaced the liners yet, but I am not really concerned. My previous experience with Intuitions is that they will mold even in low volume shells without problems. I would not recommend sizing up the shell size of the TLT 5s, as I feel a big part of their excellent performance is due to the close fit and anatomical design of the shell.
For me, the Zzero 3s were a little high in volume for a great fit in a 28, so the TLT 5 with its closer fit is great in a 28.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 am 

Hi Guys,

I've been doing some additional research over the last few weeks and would like to summarize what I've learned...

Boots: As Barrows pointed out earlier in the thread, the TLT5 Mountain and Performance shells are almost identical in weight with the main difference being the additional stiffness that the carbon upper on the Performance provides. I didn't like the feel of the carbon model at all but I can see how it would be better for skiing. I'm pretty heavy(215lbs) and the Mountain flexed enough for me that I don't anticipate any mods at all.

Liners: The liner on the Mountain is terrible. It is heavy and has a rubber sole that is only cool if you want to wear your liners around the yurt all weekend. The liner in the Performance model is much better, but Barrows is probably right and should be upgraded with an Intuition.

Tip of the week: Dynafit only ships the Mountain with the crappy liner here to the US. However, you can purchase the Mountain with the better liner from outside the US if you can stomach the shipping. I would suggest:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/dyn ... 48710.html

Right now, the exchange rate is working in our favor and my bill came in under $600 including shipping. That's compared to $750 at backcountry.com with the crappy liner.

I would suggest you find a local store to try these on first, it could get expensive if you had to send them back.

I should have my boots next week, I'll try them on with some Bomber bindings and see how they feel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 am 

[quote="Wasatch_Don"

I would suggest you find a local store to try these on first, it could get expensive if you had to send them back.

[/quote]

No. Don't be that guy who uses the local shops for try on purposes only.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm 

Spencer wrote:
[quote="Wasatch_Don"

No. Don't be that guy who uses the local shops for try on purposes only.[/quote]
Esp when you go touring with the owner and he checks out your new boots,you can kiss your deals goodbye from then on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next