Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: East Coast Style Splittin!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 am 

This up coming season will be my second year splitting here in the North East. I purchased a used 166 voile split decision which I used all season. Now that I'm hooked on splitting, saving all extra $ I could have spent on lift tickets, and riding some awesome back country in ME, NH, VT, NY, MA, and CT; I would like to purchase a new ride that performs well in our East Coast conditions. A lot of my riding is done through tight trees, snowfields, and some pretty steep lines that range from 30 to 45 degrees in various conditions ranging from powder to ice. Im also interested in a board that can ride switch easily and has just enough flex to hold hard turns and pop big ollies. I figure since now is the off season it would be a great time to get a good deal on a new deck and any suggestions is greatly appreciated!!
Here are some shots from this season!

Backside of Saddleback ME

Mt Cardigan NH

My personal favorite/secret spot here in CT only 10 min from my house, due to the location we were able to trek up it at night and shred with some led headlamps during one of many Northeasters!

Abandoned ski resort left me with this nice mile long snake run so till the snow falls this will have to do ;)

Post subject: Re: East Coast Style Splittin!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm 

That snake run looks super fun! Welcome to the forum, good to see some east coast stoke up.

This probably belongs in the Trip Report forum and not the splitboards, but thats all good!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:49 am 

Nice pics! Great to see another ECer splitting!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm 

Unless you're a big dude, I'd probably size down for your next board. No sense in riding a board of that size here in the east unless you absolutely need the extra float, but rocker can help take care of that as well. Disregard this if you prefer the feel of a longer board, but at least try something a couple cm shorter for a few days this season and you might be surprised. I'm 6' 0" 150# and all season I rode either a 156 inbounds or a 158 when touring, neither has rocker, and never really felt the need for a longer board and I rode everything.

I'd like to think that I had some pretty deep days as well. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking the Jones Mountain Twin could be right up your alley.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 am 

Thanks for the advice! Ya have been looking at either the Jones (those karakorm clips look awesome on them) or venture boards. I liked my friends 166 venture storm but I don't think I would have gotten the proper use out of it unless I was droppin in on some larger terrain. I do preffer the style of larger boards cause there easier for me to hold and tweak grabs due to my long legs and arms. I also have a 11/12 size boot so a wider board is a must. ( I had to hack saw the front of my bindings to get rid of toe drag) Any advice on bindings? I ride without highbacks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 am 

uxarmy wrote:
I ride without highbacks
Very Nice! :thatrocks:

I would get the Spark bindings for spliting, I cant say enough good things about the binding and the company.
Venture boards are really nice and super durable as well, and I think your terrain difficulty will go up the more your split.

But... I gotta call you out on the camo! :scratch:

Its not a good look! And for safety purposes, if I cant see you how can I save you? Give your partners a break and get some cloths that will show up well. One of my partners wears all black and I cant see him 5 feet in front of me! Darth freakin Vader in the BC...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:47 pm 

haha i love that jacket, not for the camo but for the two giant chest pockets. Your right though, Il have to invest in a nice red or orange jacket this season. The list goes on!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:55 pm 

Glad to see some solid stoke from the right side! I will be splitting for the first time this year. :bananas: I got a K2 setup waiting to be shipped Sept 1st! :headbang: Super stoked for sure on a 168 with all the trimings. One of about a dozen avalible is also feelin good! Every MTB ride I'm telling my self if it was pow you'd keep goin for more! Gettin'stoked! Living in southern Vt gives up lots of options!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm 

Holy crap I never thought the east coast was worth visitin until now... You gotta give up the location of that snake run!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:40 am 

Here is me on cardigan jan 2010, I am siked that those huge snowshoes you see will no longer needed. I will be rocking a Jones solution 163w with Karakoram Split 30s. Glad to see we have some east coast splittin going down this winter.

ps cardigan is an hr away from me

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 am 

I run a Venture Euphoria and I find it to be pretty amazing for the tight trees we have over here. Ive been out after a 4' dump and even stupid tight trees and almost flat runouts and it floats like a dream.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 am 

I'm also switching from shoe shoes with a splitboard this year. After talking with Lisa over at Venture I'll be purchasing a Zephyr 169 27CM. It is the closest match up to the NS Legacy 166 I ride. Spark is also my choice for bindings. While I like Karakoram's concept I am worried there are too many moving parts. The East coast can get brutally cold. While at Jay a few years ago my bindings cracked due to the cold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 am 

Ventures are def on my mind for my next split, my riding buddy has last years storm so I got to test it a few times. I'm currently in the hiring process at a local rei store and they distribute jones boards so if I get the part time job il probably end up using the employee discount on one;) I like the mountain twin but I'm going to need a wider split with 11 1/2 boot so the solution was my next choice. I also though about the karakoram bindings but I too like less moving parts which is why I ride without highbacks. I ride just as agressive and less restricted with out them too. I would like to get my hands on just spark base plates and maybe put my own straps on.