Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
burton wrote:
this boot is more than 15 years old, he had the dynafit pices,
Wow! Those are cool!
Shows you that the ski/snowboard industry keeps going in circles. They come up with a good idea and then let it die. I wish I could get boots like this with a step-in type (Switch) binding for ride mode. Seems simple to me. Step-in to tour-mode, step-in to ride-mode. Focus on the boots and not on the interface.

Those ARE cool!! We do in fact just go in circles, don't we?! Those look exactly like boots nowadays, probably just better!

One thing I can't figure out.... Everyone seems to want a Dynafit toepiece on a SOFT boot. My question is WHY? A soft boot with a flimsy sole wouldn't offer any support for touring. It would flex all over the place on icy sidehills, and you couldn't ever really ski any sections? Its seems like the touring binding or hardboot shell provides that critical support?

Anyway, I'm developing some new views these days: Both a snowboard specific hardboot, and a SOFT boot with mountaineering boot technology BOTH have their own unique utilities. Hard boots might always be better at sidehilling on hard ice in ski mode, but don't tons of mountaineers climb incredible Gnar in SOFT mountaineering boots with rigid soles? I feel like the technology is already here, it just needs refinement.

I personally want to see both types boots available to shredders.

I've posted these before, but here are my rad boots!

Key features these have are a reinforced toebox, waterproof rand, and a semi rigid vibram sole. The sole didn't turn out as stiff as I would have liked. I must say however, that climbing hard snow in these (even without crampons) is pure joy. Kicking these gives me the same sensation that I get when I swing an ice tool; you just swing your foot into the snow, and you hear a "thud". Shits solid! The lugs allow a much higher available surface area to come in contact with the ice. Mass produced resort boots are a freaking joke!

In terms of soft boot performance, I believe that the sole is only our first problem to solve. There are issues with breathability and waterproofing that I've been working on, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm 

wjb wrote:
This years will not have step in crampon capability. (but a little bird told me there are 3 pairs in existence trying it out) The step in crampons ruin pretty much everything in a boot, but we are all working on it.

Who said they have to full-on step-in compatible??? Hybrid crampons are plenty bomber, didn't SHouse use them on Nanga Parbat...

So why is accommodating a heel bail going to ruin boots?

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:47 pm 

I think realistically, strap crampons are fine for snowboard boots. Are you planning on climbing hard mixed and water ice in snowboard boots?

Accommodating semi/fully automatic crampons would add to the sole profile, and obviously it's good to keep that down, especially if you have larger hooves. There's a whole other level of construction that goes into making and attaching a sole with heel/toe welts too, fully automatic crampons put a huge amount of force through these areas, people have peeled the soles right off boots before... that would add a fair whack more to the rrp of the boot, at the end of the day.

I climb in automatic crampons (BD sabretooth) and they are a great crampon, but strap crampons will do just fine on most stuff, especially pretty much anything you would encounter in a days splitboarding, I'd imagine. If I encountered a feature that made me want the sabretooth over say the neve or serac, or a G12, then I sure as hell wouldn't want to be wearing snowboard boots!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:00 pm 

Yes agreed, anywhere I am going with my Split on my back, with crampons on, is not going to be too hairy. My trusty strapon Petzl Charlet 12 pointers will get me anywhere I need to go quite safely.

NZ people, let me know your mondo sizing if you are interested in these boots, I'll be pre-ordering a bunch to make sure we don't miss out, the worldwide demand will be high for these so realistically we get one chance this Winter 2011 to have these puppies.

Cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:55 pm 

Oooh shit man, you are killing my budgeting skills!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 am 

Really sorry Todd....... yeah right

Watch your beer budget for a couple of months ok and you'll be a lot closer to getting them !

Your hoof size?

cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:06 am 

Hahaha I'd be 29.5 - 30 mondo I guess... do you have an idea what the nz rrp might be on these bad boys?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm 

Pretty interested in these badboys,I use vibram five fingersat the gym and they are bomber.When are the deeluxe spark avail? No info on deeluxe site that I can see

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 am 

Just preordered mine... :bananas:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:28 pm 

theres gonna be about 6 pairs size 8-12 at next adventure in se portland in about a week...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm 

these just arrived at the shop, super light, bomber and awesome! they are the doopest booots eeever.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:36 pm 

Christoph, great to hear!

Can you put them on a scale -- how much do they weigh in? (e.g. at size 11)
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:13 pm 

Snocon (Seattle) has a fresh shipment and are in stock today. $350 price point.
Obversations following a quick fitting: The dual speed lacing zones are a plus and seems easy to replace a lace if snaps. Boots feel a little small for the size. I'd go a half size larger than normal. Liners are easy and simple to remove. The liner lacing harness (heel hold) is removable as well. It's merely attached to the shell with velcro around upper ankle. I 'm interested how well the boot breathes. The liner itself is thick and fury. Boot shell features a gusset around the tongue similar to Driver X's. The upper boot strap should help prolong stiffness long after boots are broken in. And the Vibram sole is no joke... inspires me to go kick steps up a Cascade volcano.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next