Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Venture to buy?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:30 am 

Hey guys would love some opinions on what venture board to buy for next season.I will be riding full time for 3-4 months with the last month in AK.I am 5'9 170# and currently ride a Prior AMF 162.
I am leaning toward the Odin 164,but the storm and zephyr are very attractive.My AMF is sick but uphill is hard work with the reverse camber in the centre so I want a board that can handle steep switchbacks in the trees of Rogers Pass and across glaciers.But I primarily want to charge,big turns and plenty of straightlining and going as fast as possible.
I think I've kinda answered my own question here it's got to be the Odin right? With my AMF as a 2nd board for days in the trees.
Anyway would be interested to hear others opinion on a 2nd board and particularly Venture as I have had my heart set on having one of these beauties for awhile now,thanks
Gav

Post subject: Re: What Venture to buy?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 am 

Sure sounds like you want the Odin.

It took me a bit to get used to turning quick on it. The turning radius is very different from my SL. Once I got it figured, it was just fine in the trees. I did 45 degree lines in tight trees quite a bit and found the board to be pretty responsive.

For big lines it kills it. If you like to straightline it, it's a great board.

For skinning it was also pretty darn good. With the flat base and rockered tips it climbs like a machine. Tons of skin contact. The nose just pops through deep powder with minimal effort.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:44 am 

Go big or go home. I would say the Odin 168. You ride a 162 now, who cares about 2 more centimeters? Depending on your foot size, I'd say size up to the 168 if you want a big hard charging gun. And you're going to say, "oh thats a huge board", but in reality, its only 2.3 inches longer then what you have now, and it has a big nose that is adding to that. I rode the Storm 161 and it felt actually smaller and more nimble then my Zephyr 159. I would of been very comfortable on a 164 (never rode anything close to that big) for a big mountain board, that design is great for bigger sizes.

If you look at the spec sheet, the 164 is listed for weights 135-195, and the 168 145-205. So you are smack dab in the middle on the 168. Maybe the Storm 165 or 166 could work too. I'm 5' 7" 150 and I think the Odin 164 would be the perfect hard charger for me. My normal board is a Zephyr 159 for comparison.

All this talk of the Odin makes me reallllly want one. But I just bought a Zephyr last year and it could be excessive to have both... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am 

Ride it before you buy it....

Just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 am 

Always good advice. Not everyone gets that opportunity either.

If you can demo, I'd do it. The Odin is a great deck, but I do feel it could be too much for some people. You do want to have fun on the deck you are riding. If it's not fun for you, it's no fun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am 

I haven't tried the Odin but I would say that the Zephyr is a GREAT powder board while the storm is more for all around conditions. There is no question that Venture makes some bomber decks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm 

Thanks for the replies fellas,food for thought,would love to be able to try before I buy but don't think that is possible for me flying in from Ireland after Xmas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 am 

Just pre-ordered the 164 Odin,Venture have a easy to buy online set up,I ordered it with a UK credit card and having it shipped to my buddies place in Canada so am stoked about that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 am 

Thats sick bud, Venture makes bomber sticks, and their technologies roll into a nice package. I'm in love with my Zephyr split, it just rips anything I throw at it.

The Odin looks perfect for what you describe, I'm stoked for you. Lets get together for some turns when you get to "Canada". I'm located in Vancouver.

Happy splittin'!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:04 pm 

jcbackcountry wrote:
Thats sick bud, Venture makes bomber sticks, and their technologies roll into a nice package. I'm in love with my Zephyr split, it just rips anything I throw at it.

The Odin looks perfect for what you describe, I'm stoked for you. Lets get together for some turns when you get to "Canada". I'm located in Vancouver.

Happy splittin'!

Hey JC ya i cant wait to get my hands on the Odin,and will defo hook up with you for some turns,i'm always looking for crew to tour with :bananas: