Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K2 Panoramic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 am 

Any beta on the new split from K2? If anybody knows anything, I would love to hear some feedback! I had been thinking about the atomic poacher setup only beacause I could get a deal on it....but I don't know about that one! The K2 has the Volie' setup with the nice K2 skin hole deal...from the ski line. looks good. K2 has mostly softer flex boards...wondering what flat bottom and rockered tip and tail feels like on the way down? 200lbs+speed+ice=?

Post subject: Re: K2 Panoramic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:28 am 

You'd be wasting your money on the poacher. It is not a very user friendly system.

K2 has stepped up their game big time the past few seasons. Early reports are that the Panoramic is a solid (split) deck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
You'd be wasting your money on the poacher. It is not a very user friendly system.

K2 has stepped up their game big time the past few seasons. Early reports are that the Panoramic is a solid (split) deck.

AGREED THE POACHER LOOKS WEAK! :thumbsdown: that clip looks like it could just vanish in the snow never to be seen again! the cramp is always on? Thanks for the info. any idea on the feel, flex wise? I'm on a stiff Nitro Pantera wide, and thinkin I should upsize!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 am 

I haven't ridden the Panoramic yet, so I can't really say how stiff it is or not. Backcountry Mag did give it an Editor's Choice award. I tend to like my splits a bit backed off from the super stiff boards anymore. They just ride better in most backcountry (powder) conditions. If you want a really stiff deck, look at the Odin by Venture. That is a hard charging very firm ride.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:03 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
I haven't ridden the Panoramic yet, so I can't really say how stiff it is or not. Backcountry Mag did give it an Editor's Choice award. I tend to like my splits a bit backed off from the super stiff boards anymore. They just ride better in most backcountry (powder) conditions. If you want a really stiff deck, look at the Odin by Venture. That is a hard charging very firm ride.

Thanks! Editor's Choice Award! :thumbsup: that's gotta be good! As far as flex goes, I live in the East and ice is a part of almost everything! I should just move to Grand Targhee Wy. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 am 

Oh ice is always encountered here or there where ever you go. I am thinking that if it's icy chunder in the Eastern backcountry, you probably are not going to be messing with it. Better to ride groomers at a ski area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:17 am 

The Odin was another editor's choice btw.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
The Odin was another editor's choice btw.

i'm pretty sure that i can get a super hook up on a K2 through the ski shop i work in. Really the only way it will happen for me. As far far as eastern frozen chunder, you are right, it's better when it's groomed out wall to wall on the resort hills! do you think that the k2 could make a GS on the hard stuff? Or not the right tool at all for that job?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 pm 

I imagine I am going to be ripped apart for this AND I plan on explaining this and other boards more once we get closer to the season but I had the chance to test out the Poacher.

The Board itself rode AMAZING and damn close to a solid with the option to use standard bindings directly into the board. The skin set up was solid and even if the glue wasn't sticking it still stayed secure.

But on another note the hardware was a bit whack and transitioning can take time.

Price wise you just can't beat 800 for Board, bindings, skins and Crampons.

At this moment I haven't tried the k2 so I can't give any input.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
I imagine I am going to be ripped apart for this AND I plan on explaining this and other boards more once we get closer to the season but I had the chance to test out the Poacher.

The Board itself rode AMAZING and damn close to a solid with the option to use standard bindings directly into the board. The skin set up was solid and even if the glue wasn't sticking it still stayed secure.

But on another note the hardware was a bit whack and transitioning can take time.

Price wise you just can't beat 800 for Board, bindings, skins and Crampons.

At this moment I haven't tried the k2 so I can't give any input.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post! :bow: The hardware was what worried me the most with the poacher. The K2 has the Volie setup witch is more solid looking. The plug and clip set up for the skins looks awsome! I followed a guy on a skin setup last year and could see the snow build up und the end of the skin. From what I know, twins or rockered skied are hard to keep this from happening. The K2 guys nailed it with that!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am 

Tip and tail clips are pretty essential for skins. It makes your life so much easier for sure. Are you hearing me Voile?

I should be getting a Panoramic to demo early next season. Probably too late for me to give you my thoughts on it at that point.

If you can get a deal on the Panoramic, I'd say go for it. If it's not the right board for what you want, you can probably sell it for what you paid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Tip and tail clips are pretty essential for skins. It makes your life so much easier for sure. Are you hearing me Voile?

I should be getting a Panoramic to demo early next season. Probably too late for me to give you my thoughts on it at that point.

If you can get a deal on the Panoramic, I'd say go for it. If it's not the right board for what you want, you can probably sell it for what you paid.

I hear you on the Voile. My shop is not a dealer. Full pice Is not happening for me... home owner, father of 2, ski shop/self employed guy! K2 on the other hand, we sell a shit load of and just refilled the rental shop with all new K2 boards and boots! The rep is super cool. Thanks for all the :twocents: added by all! This makes me feel better about calling the ski shop boss in the middle of Summer! I want to be first in line fo sho!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:45 pm 

i ride the poacher (not by choice) and yes it is good, and yes it does suck. the clips to connect the board together are actually bomber, but very loseable. lost many pieces many times. the interface is wack. you can lift the binding off the board like 1/2 an inch when in ride mode. had the binding pop off once, but i think it was user error. tour mode is comfy but no actual flat position. some complain of hurt toes...one good thing is touring you have ski tips. the board is rockin and has a super strong base. atomic has some quality boards these days. sir floatalot is dope. buy the board, sell the binding system to some wannabe, put some sparks on there and youd be good.