Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Preorder on Karakoram 2011-2012 Bindings
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:02 pm 

Dude.. you guys and your stances.... :bananas:

Set it and forget it!

I cant even adjust my bindings! They're drilled in place.

fitit: Get the Karakorums they're pretty freakin cool! Pricey but cool. If not, I love all my Spark stuff! I would worry less about your stance and worry more about your legs and lungs; oh yeh and avalanches...
:soapbox:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:13 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Dude.. you guys and your stances.... :bananas:

Set it and forget it!

I cant even adjust my bindings! They're drilled in place.

If I could get them in place I would, :lol:. My bindings haven't moved on my solid and powder sticks since they were bought and set up years ago. Actually that's a lie as I started riding duck again at the end of last season. But you get the point :wink:

My east coast DIY will be drilled in place exactly the same stance as it is set up today w/reg bindings. :poke: :guinness:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:00 pm 

jimw wrote:
It's also much more consistent than the Voile puck method of swapping the A/B sides of the discs, which doesn't give you adjustment in equal increments around the 1" insert locations.

I couldn't get my exact stance with the Voile puck system, but I didn't think much of it. I change my stance around often, and I am not sure why one would be hung up on obtaining their exact stance unless after years of riding they found that is optimized for them. I was talking with an advanced snowboard instructor, and he advised changing it around from time to time to avoid being set in bad habits.

So, the Karakoram system only has 1" adjustments at this time, correct? But they someone emailed them asking about their new SL bindings which may have more adjustment, correct?

I'd drop the money, but I want to buy a surfboard this summer to learn with a friend. ::bullet proof vest on:: Maybe I could borrow one...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 pm 

fitit wrote:
So, the Karakoram system only has 1" adjustments at this time, correct? But they someone emailed them asking about their new SL bindings which may have more adjustment, correct?

Yes, the ride mode is 1" increments only - Std or SL bindings. The brothers are working on a new ride mode design that allows 1/4" adjustment, but no one knows more than that other than them.

fitit wrote:
I couldn't get my exact stance with the Voile puck system, but I didn't think much of it. I change my stance around often, and I am not sure why one would be hung up on obtaining their exact stance unless after years of riding they found that is optimized for them. I was talking with an advanced snowboard instructor, and he advised changing it around from time to time to avoid being set in bad habits.

I do change my stance up from time to time but after over 20 years of riding, the changes are small. Every board has a sweet spot and if you make a bunch of little changes to find it, it makes a big difference (to me at least). This season took me all year to find it on my ST, now I'm stoked on the board but I can't get close enough with the current ride mode design.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:10 pm 

Ordered mine!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:26 pm 

Is anyone else doing the preorder today ($50 discount/or clips)? They are out of Split30SL for preorder for January delivery. I may just wait and see what else they have to offer closer to season. I dont really want to tie up $799 until past January. What are your thoughts? I'm still on the fence!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 pm 

Snowboard manufacturers should be filling orders in September-October and November at the latest. PERIOD! The dealers place orders in March at industry shows and need product before Christmas season for sure. If this is true then Karakorum needs to figure out their business model. January is unacceptable!

BTW: I don't know if these dates are accurate, but if they are...

Hey Karakorum, you need to focus on design and delivery and have someone with some ski/snowboard industry experience to help on the business end. January might as well be the 2012-2013 season release, which is Fall 2012.

Edit from Karakorum website:

We have currently reached our order limit for Split30SL bindings that we will be able to ensure delivery by mid-November 2011. Once we have a better idea of how quickly we can produce the Split30 SL bindings we will make them available for purchase again. For more information contact: bryce@karakorambc.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:45 pm 

FirstAscent wrote:
I'll be doing some type of pre-order here shortly. I have the original bindings, won't be doing a full upgrade but will be swapping out some of the parts. for sure the heel cups and the highbacks.

love the new design!

how do you intend to swap out the heelcups? they look like they are pretty much part of the binding to me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 am 

AndyT wrote:
FirstAscent wrote:
I'll be doing some type of pre-order here shortly. I have the original bindings, won't be doing a full upgrade but will be swapping out some of the parts. for sure the heel cups and the highbacks.

love the new design!

how do you intend to swap out the heelcups? they look like they are pretty much part of the binding to me

They unscrew from the base plate in 6 location - 3 each side.

I'm in agreement with Pedro, they need to ramp production into a real manufacturing business instead of a garage business to make realistic industry delivery dates. In business like their's that has seen fantastic initial product acceptance, this is the hardest decision to make and usually requires significant capital investment. Unfortunately, the banks are still effed to high heaven and getting a SMB loan or line of credit is very difficult right now. Which makes quitting a day job to focus on Karakoram a risky proposition. Working for the man all day, then in the evening/weekends working on new designs, testing, materials sourcing, manufacturing/shipments, marketing, etc. etc. makes for a looooong day.

I was very happy to support them in their first year, as the initial product is fantastic, but I can't say I'm surprised with growing pains. Hopefully they'll get this all figured out, along with the ride mode adjustment, which hasn't seen the light yet. Customers are a fickle bunch and not being able to deliver the $L's until January is a tough sell to their outdoor retailers. Their clip business will probably help them bridge the gap, but to me it looks like '12-13 until I could consider them again (which I will).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:51 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Snowboard manufacturers should be filling orders in September-October and November at the latest. PERIOD! The dealers place orders in March at industry shows and need product before Christmas season for sure. If this is true then Karakorum needs to figure out their business model. January is unacceptable!

BTW: I don't know if these dates are accurate, but if they are...

Hey Karakorum, you need to focus on design and delivery and have someone with some ski/snowboard industry experience to help on the business end. January might as well be the 2012-2013 season release, which is Fall 2012.

Edit from Karakorum website:

We have currently reached our order limit for Split30SL bindings that we will be able to ensure delivery by mid-November 2011. Once we have a better idea of how quickly we can produce the Split30 SL bindings we will make them available for purchase again. For more information contact: bryce@karakorambc.com

I am not sure what the argument is here. It was very clear the SL's were going to be a limited run and now they are sold out. The people who ordered them will get them in November. It is easy for you to say they should behave like a big company with a big budget. They clearly are not so you have to deal with that reality. If you believe in their product, you pay your money and you take your chances. If not, other options are available

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 pm 

Keepin it simple in the Bc should be the focus. If everyone I toured with was on the K product then swapin out parts and makin repairs in the field would be easy. The voile plates do suck and I have pulled out pucks from the board, but makin the repair was simple and got me out. If production is limited would warrenties be limited?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm 

tiltedworld wrote:
AndyT wrote:
FirstAscent wrote:

love the new design!

They unscrew from the base plate in 6 location - 3 each side.

Yeah I get that they are attached to the base plate of the binding. By swapping out does that mean you are going to get new parts from Karakoram or do some sort of DIY mod that fits onto the karakoram system. :scratch:

I think you guys are being a little harsh.
The great thing about Karakoram is that they are doing their own thing and do not have capital investment. I have no problem putting my cash upfront and waiting, hell by the time I get them the snow season down here in Aus will be pretty much done. Theirs is a smarter business model that will reap rewards of independence in the near future.
Much better to patiently support something as it builds. Lets not forget that this weird thing we do (snowboarding) was built from backyarders doing what the love.

The fact that Jones and Lib tech are now on board (pun intended) would suggest to me that we shall watch the exponetial curve take a sharp turn upwards in the next 12 months.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:39 pm 

I apologize for sounding like I was ranting.... It was late in the PM when I posted.

I do not want to disparage Karakorum in any way. I personally think their gear is really cool, and know that they work well. I only wanted to emphasize the need for timely delivery of goods in this business. I have seen very cool companies, with very cool products disappear because they could not deliver on time. The sports industry and retailers in specific have schedules to adhere to (money/advertising/seasonal sports) . I know retailers that have sent back product that was delivered too late in the season, because the demand diminishes and the product must immediately be discounted for sale (while the wholesale price is full + terms).
"Who needs snowboard gear in January/February? I'm gearing up for Bike/Skate season!"

I want Karakorum to succeed, and do not want them to fall prey to these mistakes (why I suggested an experienced ski industry person).

Splitboarding is a niche market where currently the demand far exceeds the supply of products, but this may not always be the case. Gear needs to on the shelves and in people's hands when the iron is hot! (mixed metaphor). I personally have my budgeted money spent and am riding my gear in January. There is no way I would be waiting around for $800 worth of toys! Consider a hypothetical situation where Company A and Company B have very cool, similar competing products. Only that Company B delivers on time (or early). Which would you carry? Retailer loyalty is more import than WE schmucks on the internet buying 1 at a time items, and could potentially help a company through a hard time or a hard couple of seasons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next