Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Improving edge hold on Burton S-series/Spark setup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 am 

Hi.

This weekend I hiked Bloody Peak (Eastern Sierras) with some friends. This was just the second outing on my Burton S-series 168cm so I was pretty excited. The snow was obviously old, rotten and sugary but not bulletproof, so I was feeling pretty confident about making turns down the wide couloir.

I took some time last week to make some adjustments to the binding pucks to ensure that the Spark bindings fit into the pucks nice and snug to try and prevent any 'slop' movement.

At the top, I strapped in and the moment I stood up, I felt I had trouble getting my heel edge to hold before I even started descending. What followed, was some very tentative, timid turns as I had trouble getting my heel and toe edges to carve. I'm guessing the pitch down the slope is around 40 degrees but even near the bottom, as the run became less steep, I could not make clean, sharp turns and couldn't prevent the board drifting and skidding. The edges just would not catch.

Took a look at the edges....the board is barely used but the edges are not exactly 'racer sharp'. Should I consider getting the thing tuned with an aggressive edge profile?

The thing just felt torsionally very loose and imprecise. I'm trying to understand if this is just a limitation of the board or if I can make some adjustments (edge tune, Karakoram clips?) . It doesn't help that my conventional solid board is a Jones Flagship - that thing is incredible.

----
Yemi

Post subject: Re: Improving edge hold on Burton S-series/Spark setup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:32 am 

What Spark bindings are you using?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm 

I'm using the Fuse model with the forward lean "cube" adjuster set to the maximum.

Killclimbz wrote:
What Spark bindings are you using?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am 

Definitely get a tune, it can only help. For freeriding in steeps, etc I recommend a 1 degree base edge bevel and corresponding 1 degree side edge bevel-if the edges are reasonably sharp you should not need a more aggressive edge profile than that.
The Burtons have a pretty deep sidecut, on the steeps, this usually over pressurizes the tip and tail, and does not allow the middle of the sidecut to bite. There are ways to compensate for this with your riding style-pressing your knees together will shift more pressure to the center of the sidecut, and should allow better edge pressure distribution and more carving. Last weekend I rode a 45 degree couloir with a rider on an S-Series, he had no problem carving nice short and medium radius turns, see video in TRs here of Northstar Couloir. It appeared to me that he was noticeably downweighting and pressing his kness together.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm 

Summer riding is often referred to as "survival riding". "Old, rotten, sugary snow but no bulletrproof: is pretty hard to find an edge, let alone your heelside. The S-series despite it's many faults actually has a decent shape. I think you just have to plan/visualize your line different. You want to spend most your time on your toe so quick hopturns to your heel then leave your slower arching and slideslip turns thru the crux for the toe. These are not the conditions to film you promo video for Jones Snowboards. Shit aint going to be pretty and it doesn't matter what your interface is, shittier the snow, shitier the ride is going to feel. But that's not what it's about, it's about being in the mountains on snow in June! Sound like a sick line, nice work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:51 am 

The reason I asked was that if you had the Blaze, the highbacks on that are pretty soft. The Fuse is decent enough though.

Utah touched on the fact you are riding summer snow which is less than ideal. It can be fun, but your best turns are usually up high. As you get lower, you get into the runnel soup. A board that puts a lot of surface to the snow is more grabby and less pleasant to ride. I've found a huge difference with camber profiles in this type of snow. A board with rocker between the feet seems to have the least amount of drag from my experience. Cambered and flat bases have quite a bit of drag in comparison.

Another thing you can do is get a base grind that puts grooves in your base. I believe they call it "structure". That helps reduce the drag and makes it easier to throw your board around in the soup.