Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Custom Hybid Rocker 158 Prior BC with 11m sidecut
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 am 

Buell,

thanks for the write-up with pic. I enjoyed reading about why you chose the options you did. Can't wait to hear an update once you get it out.
I have a custom khyber on the way (supposed to be here today actually!), although when I say "custom" I mean that I chose what top sheet and base I wanted lol.
What base did you go with? I almost got the green top sheet as well, I really like how yours turned out!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:40 am 

Hey Buell! Any updates?

Normally I could care less about gear reviews but you really have my interest with this one. Design sounds ideal. Been waiting to see how you liked this after getting some more time on it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm 

Hey Ale,

I will let you know when I get it on some good corn. It will be a couple of more weeks. My work has been way too busy to get out lately. Luckily corn season keeps getting pushed back and I will probably get close to my normal number of volcano days in the end. See you on Baker at the end of July! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 am 

cool man.

Look forward to the update, and Baker in July!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 am 

This board looks sick. Probably a great Spring season board like you designed it for. I have to hand it to PRIOR, they are super easy to deal with and make a quality product. Knowing that they built you a custom has me thinking about a late season corn board too. I kind of stopped splitting late season and went right to the bike because my set up was so POW driven. I'm splitting a Malolo that would serve as a better Spring board, but I know it's going to be a noodle.

It may be time to call PRIOR again..

Great thread-

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 am 

Quote:
This actually raises a very interesting question for me. What do all you guys really think about magnetraction? I'm skeptical that it actually does anything more than a placebo effect. Its just so hard to say without a real study. In theory, more contact points makes sense, but basic Newtonian physics tells me that contact forces are just more spread out. Its like the difference between 10 pounds of pressure on one nail, or 5 pounds of pressure spread over 2 nails... Does this actually have statistically significant application to edge hold?

I'm proud of you Russman, your are starting think on your own. I don't think it hurts but as I've said multiple times the coolest part of the Jones is the blunted nose and tail in terms of contact point and edge hold. That said, I think the inner Magna is silly and really makes absolutely no sense. A straight inner edge with a well cut skin right up to the edge is the best. To this day nobody can tell me how the inner magna is better, just that it is??????sheep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:43 am 

I never understood why anyone would want magnetraction? My own reasons for being against it are that it makes it hard to tune the board, and the edge is more vulnerable to rock damage (a big concern here with our dry thin snowpack in CO). Does it make for improved edge hold, I do not know, having never ridden it. But the folks who really need the most edge hold: World Cup Ski Racers, do not seem to use magnetraction...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 am 

Did you say "Fag-natraction", oh wait... that's what I said :bananas:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 am 

There are a few ways magnetraction could theoretically be helpful in firm/icy conditions.

When carving the magne could function somewhat like serrated knife or saw, slicing more deeply into the surface as you carve than a flat edge would.

And where the surface is surface is super firm it also makes sense that the magne edges will penetrate ice/hardpack more deeply than an edge without it (based on the same amount of force being concentrated on one point rather than spread out). This could allow stable points of contact (crampons aren't designed with a flat edge you kick in but with spikes, a similar idea) Theoretically this could apply even when skinning.

I've never ridden a board with magnetraction so I have no opinion on whether it makes any difference in the real world. I'm somewhat skeptical. But even if it helps, it would have to be a gamechanger, totally changing edge hold on ice and firm for me to care, as I try and spend as little time in those conditions as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:09 pm 

P.s. sorry for the thread drift. When should we expect an update on ride characteristics?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 pm 

silver wrote:
(crampons aren't designed with a flat edge you kick in but with spikes, a similar idea)
You don't carve with crampons! It's a freakin gimmick, or jib-fantastic intermediate technology

My :twocents:

Pedro out...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 am 

jib fantastic intermediate resort riding technology,

If you split and ride the kind of ice where magna makes a difference, you have issues, routefinding or geographic :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 pm 

silver wrote:
P.s. sorry for the thread drift. When should we expect an update on ride characteristics?

We finally have corn here in Oregon (hopefully it has corned). I plan to ride Sat, Sun and Tues on a variety of slopes and will check in next week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next