Post subject: Early 2012 splitboard release from Unity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:59 am 

http://www.unitysnowboards.com/site/boa ... it_boards/
http://unitysnowboards.myshopify.com/co ... lit-boards

The Dominion

The Reverse

Post subject: Re: Early 2012 splitboard release from Unity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 am 

It seems like with the advent of so many new splitboard manufacturers in the market that prices would actually come down a little bit.
1100 bucks for the full set up seems pretty steep.

The directional board with minimal taper would be something I'd consider purchasing, though, if it were offered.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:31 am 

$800 to $900 is the norm for board only, completes are at $1,100+ depending on mfg (Voile being the exception of course). More board mfgs means more options but not necessarily lower prices. The materials, labor, tech, and licensing generally cost the same for everyone. More choices are good in my opinion. I rode the Dominion all this season and loved it for they type of riding I like to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:39 pm 

Kinda bummed they didn't make a Pride splitboard this year... I really wish they would bring back the Pin-Tail and split that.

And for anybody interested, Unity makes absolutely beautiful snowboards (and bomb-proof). My DIY Prides ride better than most solid factory boards...

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:11 pm 

bcrider wrote:
$800 to $900 is the norm for board only, completes are at $1,100+ depending on mfg (Voile being the exception of course). More board mfgs means more options but not necessarily lower prices. The materials, labor, tech, and licensing generally cost the same for everyone. More choices are good in my opinion. I rode the Dominion all this season and loved it for they type of riding I like to do.

As a guy with no industry connections, who pays retail for everything, I understand everything that goes into this stuff cost-wise, and I've always paid up for it. But as a guy who's sunk a small fortune into gear over the past decade, I'd think manufacturers would appreciate my opinion.

Marketplace competition usually means price improvement too (not just more options, which are, undeniably, a good thing), and I'm merely wondering when that's gonna happen. I suppose once the patent expires, maybe then. It's already happening in bindings, which are a smaller market (I'd think), if you look at the price of a pair of fuses vs. what a new pair of Iggy's cost(ed).

Nice boards by Unity-I'd still like to see a non-capped board with a shape/profile similar to MojoRx (the dominion is close), but with a larger sidecut radius and a bit less (but still some) taper. When I see it, I'll probably pay up for that too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 pm 

I think consumers push the price up too! :twocents:

Once one person pays $1100-$1300 for a splitboard, every maker knows they can likely charge that much for their gear. It happened with 1-piece hockey sticks, first they were $100, then some jackass paid $200 for one, now they are routinely in the $200+$250 range.

I am sure licensing for splitboards adds to the retail price, maybe that's why Voile seems to be the only company offering lower priced splitboard gear.

I make my own splitboards so they usually run $200-$400 depending on how much I decide to shell out for cool parts/decks. My next one may be a little more because I am styling it with LT brackets and some other cool stuff (and this board is brand new!).

I cannot even imagine spending the kind of dough you guys pay for your gear... You guys need to get a sponsor brah!!!! :bananas:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21 pm 

Lol@sponsors! I take the mere suggestion as a compliment though! I agree about the consumer willingness to pay influencing pricing. I guess I hope in some small way that my post will be read by somebody and have the converse effect. In the spirit of the thread... Id like to reiterate though, that my ideal split and Unity's Dominion are not far apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am 

If someone came out with a high quality $400 split they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelf and very few $1,100 boards would be sold anymore. If Jones can be successful with mass production then maybe that will translate into cheaper boards in the future.

I'm obviously not on the inside but from what I can tell no one is getting rich making splits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 am 

I totally agree with you Pedro. When people are willing to pay through the nose, why lower the price?! That was the whole reason I first started making bindings. BTW...Voile isn't the only company who makes affordable splitboards. I have seen what Sentury does to keep costs down and any company who does the proper research and finds the right suppliers can pass that savings on to the customer. Of course, when the Voile patent expires, we should all see a huge dump in splitboard prices.

Unity has built a solid name for itself before they started dabbling in splits so I would never expect to see their prices anywhere but right along side of prior, jones, venture, etc... I foresee some tiny companies stepping into the big boy realm very soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am 

HEY PETE!

Make a wide split board and I'll buy it. You factory is within a few miles of my house and I'd love to buy locally but can't ride these skinny sticks. Something around 27cm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 am 

From Iraq with thoughts and love

Raw materials for skis and snowboards are not cheap...OIL....yes OIL/Black Gold is a major component of just about everything that goes into making a snowboard, also energy, renewable energy to be more specific are huge factors also.

Epoxy made with and priced according to what the raw oil commodity market is priced at. 1-2% oil increases more then likely translate to 5% Epoxy price increases with transport costs ect, ect. Also the Military puts quotas on Epoxy formulators to deliver X amount of production for national defense, things made with epoxies that are similar or the same as epoxies for snowboards are composite armor for vehicles, Flack vests, many many parts on planes, missiles, bombs, drone aircraft and the list is endless. Also the govement pays on time and pays a "nice" price for these USA made goods. And in time of war they can demand the supply before it is available to the general marketplace. I have also read there is a global Epoxy shortage,who knows how much truth is behind that.

Fiberglass: Again this also follows the oil market with items such as carbon fiber, aramit/kevlar being made from oil derivatives and again the Military has first dibs on these items from mfg’s. Several mills run 24/7 365 at 100% capacity just to supply the military and aerospace contractors needs of the war on terrorism again you have to transport these HEAVY products and the MFG will not just absorb that; that is passed on to the ski and snowboard maker and passed on to you. Most times they are called fuel surcharges.

Renewable Energy, it's great I think we would all agree? Wind Energy is a huge consumer of these items as well, Windturbine blades made with Epoxy and Fiberglass are huge business and many, many of these huge global companies have contractual obligations with mills that give them X amount of product after what is allocated to the military, shit most of these companies and the military work hand in hand and pay each others bills. Wind Turbines are 750k-1 million each. I live in Wyoming when I’m not playing soldier and work in the wind fields...this summer 2 new farms each with 2000 turbines are starting production in Wyoming those are 1/2 billion dollar projects each with 70-80% of the cost of each turbine in the Nacelle and Blades all 100% made with Fibreglass and Epoxy. Who is paying the bills? a small splitboard company that may purchase 15-20K a year in Epoxy and 30-50k in E-Glass or a someone paying 100 million a year...that 15-50k is no chumpchange but it is loose change compared to a company willing to invest 100 + million ayear in supplier X for the next 20 years.

Base and topsheet materials: you guessed it made with Oil derivatives and as that goes higher so does the cost of making these products and that cost is passed on again.

Patents and royalties...I assume Voile has "the" patents I speculate many of you are talking about, I also surmise they charge anyone use the system a royalty per board sold or a yearly royalty. Those without question will be passed on to the price of the finished product. Once patents expire some of those costs will be alleviated, I would not expects a big decrease. As I see it Voile supplies all the plastics and formed metal products on the boards. With no knowledge of that in particular I would think that they have no less then 150-250k or more invested in molds and tooling, that is not static either molds wear out and tooling breaks I know that stuff is not cheap or easy to duplicate. Not knowing, but would another company be willing to pony up that $$$ to make their own tooling and molds to make parts that they can already get from a supplier? If they did they would just then pass on that capital expense to you in higher prices for what they now supply from Voile.

To me it seems like a perfect storm as far as the raw materials for making skis and boards do not look like they will drop substantially in the future for either MFG's of raw materials or MFG's of skis and boards so to me it seems like the prices are somewhat fixed being that in the USA if you make and or supply something you expect to make a profit weather you are the middle man or first cog in the supply chain.

My thoughts. God bless the USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 am 

Those new Unity sticks look great. Mad props to everyone out there doin the split thing, riders and companies alike! Can't wait to get back at it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 pm 

Here's a cool viddy of the Unity splits being made. Thanks for sharing pete! :thatrocks: