Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kronicle - Backcountry Snowboarding Magazine
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:57 pm 

http://www.facebook.com/kroniclemag

HOL Publications launches Kronicle - Backcountry Snowboarding Magazine

5/18/2011 - Backcountry snowboarding has arrived. And Height of Land Publications (HOL), publisher of Alpinist, Backcountry and Telemark Skier Magazines is pleased to announce the launch of Kronicle, a first-of-its-kind magazine dedicated exclusively to backcountry snowboarding.

Based out of Crested Butte, Colorado and Jeffersonville, Vermont, Kronicle will feature stories and images of the people, places and culture of backcountry riding: West, East and around the world. It will also cover the skills and gear riders need to travel farther, safer. Each issue brims with stoke and substance, packaged in a clean, aesthetic print format.

HOL has tapped Mike Horn, longtime Backcountry Magazine snowboard editor, as Kronicle’s editor in chief. “The growth in backcountry snowboarding demanded that we launch Kronicle,” C.B.-based Horn explains. “Splitboarding is going off, and more riders than ever are exploring backcountry terrain. Kronicle will highlight all the great things about riding bc, while building a knowledgebase and skill guide for having fun out there and coming back to ride another day. We look forward to working with some of the sharpest and most creative people in snowboarding to develop this content, and the publication as a whole.”

Lisa Branner, co-owner of Venture Snowboards, says the timing is ripe for Kronicle: “Interest in backcountry riding is spreading like wildfire, and it’s high time for a publication that caters to the needs of this audience—not only to educate newcomers but also to keep experienced backcountry riders stoked. Who better for the job than the folks at Backcountry Magazine? They’ve been dedicated to this core audience for years and have the track record, experience, and passion to do it right.”

Kronicle goes live on newsstands this fall, and will grow to four times annual next year.

To Contribute:
Mike Horn
mike@holpublications.com

Advertising Opportunities:
Justin Reyher
Justin@holpublications.com

Retail Sales:
Jessica Steel
jessica@holpublications.com
802.644.6606 x208

Post subject: Re: Kronicle - Backcountry Snowboarding Magazine
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:26 pm 

This is exciting and I'm glad its the backcountry mag guys doing, but if they over do the Kronic connection thats not cool. There is a magazine called snowboard colorado that started this year that sucks because its overly bro'ed out and written by people who live in Denver for other Bro'ed out dudes and not by people who are a part of the mountain culture. Lets hope Kronicle is successful.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:47 pm 

#1 rule in mainstream snowboarding.......If you find something new and cool, CLAIM it as yours and give no recognition/props/respect to those who came before you.

It happens on this site all the time and is reinforced by most. It's quite honestly why I left mainstream snowboarding behind. I'm too eccentric to fit into the mainstream snowboard scene. I agree with you completely eh however, I don't care much for BC magazine they tend to focus too much on trends and hopping on band wagons rather than leading the charge of creativity. Go check out The Surfers Journal and Alpinist Magazine. Throw your Deeper video in the garbage and check out Signatures, that's the shit I could read/watch all day long.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm 

I have both signatures and deeper and I've watched signatures much more. Much more of a soul riding film.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 pm 

Kronical with a K. Ugh.

If you're interested in a real mountain mag check out Kootenay Mountain Culture...

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 pm 

Let me guess, there's gonna be a gear guide in October?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 pm 

If it's about bc snowboarding it's got my vote.

Congrats HOL and Mike Horn!

Kyle Miller on the cover via Jason Hummel too!!! :thatrocks: :thatrocks: :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:20 am 

Hopefully they have a piece on Mr Pibb and Red Vines....

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:26 am 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:
If you're interested in a real mountain mag check out Kootenay Mountain Culture...

That is a killer mag... I have the one copy I got from Retallack about 4 years ago... The one where John Buffery chronicles that huge avy that almost took he and his crew out in the freekin chopper....

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 am 

UTAH wrote:
...Throw your Deeper video in the garbage and check out Signatures, that's the shit I could read/watch all day long.

You're kidding right? How about throwing both "Deeper" and "Signatures" in the garbage and watching "Totally Board 1" if you want some OG snowboard mountaineering footage.

I think it's cool that Height of Land is going to be printing a snowboard-specific mag. They have proven themselves with Backcountry and they have thus far continued the Alpinist tradition with aplomb. Now if they would consider offering a package deal for all three 'zines I would consider subscribing to yet another of their publications.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:34 am 

samh wrote:
Now if they would consider offering a package deal for all three 'zines I would consider subscribing to yet another of their publications.

If they would do that I might end my ban on ad dominated 'zines.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 am 

What's up fellow shredders? I hope everyone's having a killer spring. Mike Horn here from Kronicle. To respond...

Thanks for the props, Chris. You are a great ambassador for backcountry snowboarding, and without your work and this site I don't know where splitboarding would be. I admit, I'm a longtime "lurker" here, and have learned alot from splitboard.com over the years. This is a dedicated online community that has long demanded progression in gear, skills, etc, and now each year we see new, improved products, and riders continually tackling new terrain that expands the boundaries of the sport.

And yes UPGRAYEDD, Kootenay Mountain Culture is an awesome pub, I'm a huge fan. With roots in Crested Butte, CO, and being the product of a independent publishing company, Kronicle will fulfill the "real mountain mag" category sufficiently as well, in my opinion.

As for Kronicle, I'm pretty stoked that backcountry riders will now have their own publication, something many of us have wanted for some time. We look forward to all your feedback as we develop Kronicle, and no, we won't overdo the "kron". The title has nothing to do with ganga, but rather, is derived from the word 'Chronicle' which means 'story', plain and simple. As for the 'K', it's actually rooted in the phonetic spelling of the word. More than you wanted to know, but... The big picture goal for Kronicle is to simply communicate the many, great stories of backcountry snowboarding through words and imagery, while also providing education/skills pieces for riders to travel safer in the bc.

Look for more announcements soon...

Mike Horn
Editor in Chief
Kronicle Magazine
http://www.facebook.com/kroniclemag

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
samh wrote:
Now if they would consider offering a package deal for all three 'zines I would consider subscribing to yet another of their publications.

If they would do that I might end my ban on ad dominated 'zines.

+1 for maybe...I am still pissed that Alpinist no longer does a mountain profile in every issue :nononno:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg