Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:50 am 

Barrows, do you know whether the performance liner be purchased separately from the performance shell? Or do you know if there are comparably light-weight liners out there (the ones you mention above?) that with which one would realize similar weight savings?

Seems like I need to research or locate a break down of liners. If in this case weight savings are realized primarily in liners, I would need to find one that is relatively flexible and comparably lightweight to the Performance liner.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 am 

Taylor: you would need to send Dynafit USA a message about ordering liners separately. The TLT5 shell is highly shaped, and the stock liners are thinner than most aftermarket liners. The Mountain liner is heavier because it has a rubber sole, lace loops, and a cloth outer face. Personally, I prefer Intuition liners to all others, as they mold better, and hold their form better. I am planning on switching out my liner for an Intuition "Freeride" model-this is their softest flexing tongue style liner. This liner will probably be between the weight of the two OE Dynafit choices.
The Dynafit liners have a "flex window" built into the back of the liner (achilles area) which allows more freedom in rearward flex for enhanced touring-I find this feature irritates my skin around the achilles, so I want a liner in there without this feature, I also feel I can get a better fit with the slightly thicker Intuition liner, as it will mold better. I would recommend choosing liners for fit and performance before weight-that said, the Intuitions are pretty light.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:28 am 

This is helpful. Thanks, Barrows.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:54 am 

Hi Barrows: I am wondering to buy these boots but I am a bit scared about dimension of the boots over the board!!! I should buy the size 30 and I also have the Venture Storm 168 splitboard...I hope the boots are not too long...
I see you have the same board...but which is you boots size?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:30 am 

The TLT5s are shorter and more compact than most AT boots. My size 28 TLT5s are actually shorter in sole length than my size 10 Driver Xs, so unless you are using a super compact soft boot with integrated liner (like Salomon X Series) the TLT5 should be shorter than your soft boots. I ride a 26 waist Venture. If you really need a 30 mondo boot, you probably should be on the 27 waist Ventures.
I have a riding partner who wears a 30, and he uses a 27 waist Storm to good effect.
BTW, the sole length of AT boots is published in the specs, and molded into the shell as well. My 28s are 307 mm long. I am sure you can find the sole length of the size 30 in the specs for these boots, check Dynafit's site.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 am 

Really thanks for the answer. Sure I should have bought a 27 cm waist Venture but the Storm 27 is at least 171 cm and may be too long for steep coloir and European snow condition. I have prefered the 26 cm x 166 cm and with Spark Blaze and Northwave size 30 cm is ok (forefoot +15, rearfoot -3).
But I think with AT boot fixed on the Voile metal slider that are higher than Blaze bilding I should have no problem.

Another question: how about jumps with AT boots. Some guys said you can't do jumps with same pleasure with AT boots compared to soft ones.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:51 am 

"Another question: how about jumps with AT boots. Some guys said you can't do jumps with same pleasure with AT boots compared to soft ones."

Ask Damien Sanders!

Clearly this is nonsense. AT boots will need some mods to get them to flex the same as soft boots, but they can be modded to flex any way that you would like with a little ingenuity and craftiness.
That said, if my concern was riding pipe or park, I would choose soft boots-but I do not find any pipes or parks out in the backcountry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 am 

barrows wrote:
Ask Damien Sanders!

Clearly this is nonsense. AT boots will need some mods to get them to flex the same as soft boots, but they can be modded to flex any way that you would like with a little ingenuity and craftiness.
That said, if my concern was riding pipe or park, I would choose soft boots-but I do not find any pipes or parks out in the backcountry.

Sure but I am not DAMIEN SANDERS :D

Anyway I more and more persuaded that TLT 5 is the right choice :headbang:

Thanks...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 pm 

barrows wrote:
I also do not use the (optional) ski tongue.
Would you be willing to sell them? I'm looking for plastic tongues to reshape and replace the flimsy RAF inserts in my 2011 Driver X. I bought these to replace my 2008s, and they are waaaay to flexy compared to my old ones. I'm a very very heavy dude...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:43 pm 

Mig: I like to hold on to these parts as they may be useful for me in the future, for mods, etc.
If you need some tongues for modding your soft boots, Scarpa sells their AT tongues separately. Any Scarpa dealer should be able to order you some tongues that will do the job. I would recommend getting some of the Scarpa "Touring" tongues, these should work fine for your project.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:43 pm 

Thank you very very much for the info, barrows! I will try to find the Scarpa "Touring" tongues. And sorry for hi-jacking your thread... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am 

What bindings are people using with the TLT5's? Any problems getting the front throw to lock securely on the boot toe?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:49 am 

To add to the binding question...I am more concerned by the heel ledge/indentation area for seating the wire bail on the Bomber plate binding. The Bomber has a really thick bail where the TLT5 looks to have a thinner slot on the heel side than my old TLT4s - which are super-awesome for splitting by the way. I foresee a time in which the shells of my TLT4s will start to lose integrity and I will need to upgrade. So far, the 5s are my #1 choice, assuming that they will mate well with the bomber bindings.

I have a picture of what I am talking about...but how to do upload an image on here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next