Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blaze mods
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 am 

I rigged up a pull cord on my Blaze buckles. Perhaps it would help me get the board off my feet in a hurry if I wanted to (like in a bad slide):
I seem to eventually mutilate the little keyrings that connect the pins to the keeper cords. When that happened this time, I got some replacement crimpy things (the silver metal piece that terminates the keeper cord) and re-crimped the keeper cord right through the pinhole:

Post subject: Re: Blaze mods
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 am 

buckchow wrote:
I seem to eventually mutilate the little keyrings that connect the pins to the keeper cords. When that happened this time, I got some replacement crimpy things (the silver metal piece that terminates the keeper cord) and re-crimped the keeper cord right through the pinhole:

I have the same problem, and I started re-doing the keeper cable just like yours. But the cable I used is thin, esentially picture hanging wire from Home Depot. What kind of cable are you using? Looks to be thicker, more strands, than mine.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 am 

ricorides wrote:
What kind of cable are you using?

I reused the black coated keeper cable that came with the Spark alum pins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:58 pm 

Anybody out there have access to a pair of calipers who can measure the thickness of the blazes where the pins go through the binder? I am making a toe ramp/LT bracket adapter for my home made binders and only have the measurements of the LT bracket so far. Any help would be badass!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:18 am 

I also went up a step further by using stainless steel cables as an avalanche rip cord (with cabling help from a mate, who makes some bomb proof, high end lights for mountaineering, mountain biking and caving: http://www.scurion.ch/jm/index.php?lang=en).

:disco:

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 pm 

Rex wrote:
I also went up a step further by using stainless steel cables as an avalanche rip cord...

After you get a chance to test out your avy ripcord, please post how you like them. I'm mostly curious if they are prone to catching on brush and stuff while skinning/split skiing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
Rex wrote:
I also went up a step further by using stainless steel cables as an avalanche rip cord...

After you get a chance to test out your avy ripcord, please post how you like them. I'm mostly curious if they are prone to catching on brush and stuff while skinning/split skiing.

Rode my set up today, 1000 meters ascent, rode through small brush, no problems. You don't have to have too much slack on the cables, you can keep them low profile by shortening. You just need to slip your glove hands on em and pull em when needed IMO. So i keep it short.

Venture board rocks, and the Blaze performed extremely well =).

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 pm 

I also rigged my Blazes w/ 2mm cord and I find that the release is not smooth and easy, especially on the toe straps.

Has anyone else noticed it and how did you resolve? I am considering some silicone spray... Or is it because I have the stock ratchets from the first batch that have bad springs?

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:58 am 

Was looking into this mod as well... any other problems with actually getting the cord to rip off both ladders? I played around with the Voile binding at REI recently and it worked quite well. Don't want to replace bindings just for that, though.