Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:13 am 

Would any of you guys be up for Superior on Saturday morning pending on conditions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 am 

Got out for an evening tour last night. Couldn't post till this morning but a couple thoughts. First there is a lot of dam snow up there and the winds were nuking. Second, there was an obvious density change or light crust about a 1.5-2 feet down and under that was more light density snow. My guess is the light crust/density change was due to green housing cause I don't think the sun came out before the last snow event. So you would poke your pole in sometimes 2 feet down hit the light crust/density change and then poke down through at least another foot. In summary there is very good chance for shit to go big if it didn't naturally during the storm. I dropped balls last night it was spooky up there, got some good turns but didn't feel comfortable getting on anything steep enough to make turns fun.
My other thoughts were this is the perfect storm to test that deep slab instability we have. So please if you get up in the next couple days post pics of what you see, some of us would love to check out what went down.

Take care everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:43 pm 

UTAH wrote:
My other thoughts were this is the perfect storm to test that deep slab instability we have. So please if you get up in the next couple days post pics of what you see, some of us would love to check out what went down.
Take care everyone.

I threw in the towel back in March but I've been keeping an eye on the MillCreek/BCC ridgeline since January while trail running. Indeed there is an awful lot of snow left. :shock:
As far as yesterdays storm, I saw tracks from today in West Porter that looked really nice. No naturals were observed.
Also two lines down cabin run off Gobblers, again no naturals, but the cornices above the Bowman to Alexander cutoff trail are massive. To say nothing of the ones in Alexander proper. No other lines on the MC side were visible. (BTW Nic those slabs we looked at in West Porter have a lot of snow this season)
Grandeur has had a shit ton of snow at the summit all winter and is proably rideable into Parleys if anyone is nuts enough to hike up and hike out. I'm doing a race over Grandeur in a couple weeks and its likely to be "interesting". The trails in MillCreek are a crap shoot for running because of all the snow, but its illustrative of just how nuts our snowpack is.
Anyways kudos to you guys & gals that are all still getting some. I wanted to give trail running my full attention this year with hopes it will pay dividends for next seasons touring.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm 

UTAH wrote:

Hmm, I didn't even know this thread existed... I've been posting in the "TR" forum... So you've prolly already seen this. I post on TGR 'wasatch conditions', but I like to piss people off more than I like to post obs (usually all that takes is my style of stoke). But I promise no bullschwapp here... Unless that lil sum bitch ectreeskier lurks these parts......

Anyways, rode Coalpit yesterday. I had much of the same fears as we all did about the slabs and what not. To my surprise, it was more stable than last year when we rode it, top to bottom sweetness.

But this thing, man this thing needs to be slayed.

And, the needle.. Direct E facing.. Solid as hell.. The Wiz said it rubbled out, but I think it was the Sliver that rubbled, either that or it snow THAT much since then, but we saw a rubble field on the apron of the Sliver.

We saw the slide in Tanner's that has been talked about, slid huge damn near 30 feet from the road. Oh yeah, S face of Dromedary looks super duper sweet.

And here's one of us going up the Headwall of Coalpit.. As you can see there were some very recent rubble events. We saw another one that definitely happened within hours of us getting there, a natural point releasing to a crown about 50-100 feet wide and 1 foot deep.. Nothing crazy. I rode the gully to the far right of this phot, and the slide is in the middle(ish) gully 3/4 the way up it.

And if you haven't seen this, here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmrwRZvYA0

Happy trails boys, and girls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 pm 

By the way, anyone wanna do Grand View peak up in the City Creek Bountiful/NSL area??? It's been on the hitlist for a while and its gotta be good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:24 am 

Did a quick tour up Cardiff this morning. There was some cracking during the skin. On steeper traverses noticeable windslabs were breaking off. There was a nice crust about 2 inches down. I will be interested to see how the lighter snow beneath the what I presume to be a rain crust will handle the loading from todays storm. The snow that fell as I was there were pretty high in density. There were several naturals observed on my drive up though that appeared to break last night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm 

packing all my stuff for my move back to Seattle tomorrow morning, what an epic season and big ups to those who I got to ride with this winter!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:31 pm 

Some stoke from a couple weeks ago...Really wanted to jump off the diving board at 0:55 but my legs screamed no...good thing because I think there were a couple sharks lurking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:39 pm 

Finally someone with some musical taste! I am so tired of videos with "crunchy" tunes! Keep up the good work! :rock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 am 

We put the skinner up to top of Argenta treed headwall early this AM. It rode great, 8-10 inches of fresh snow. Some minor sluffing but no alarming instabilities seen. I love splitboarding. Thanks Bill and Jason!

Also the Ramones kick ass, nice vid mar123.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:03 pm 

Put four people on the slopes of God's Lawnmower this morning. Did two laps, in gang-shred fashion, slope was solid. Its bloody good out there folks.

Ride on!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLGbozGkuRw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLGbozGkuRw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 pm 

couple stoke shots from today...didnt have much time so we headed up to Brighton for a quick lap to the top of Milli

Big o Cornice up top
Artsy

Sun was heating things up nice and good... Damp snow towards the bottom of Milli bowl which was starting to freeze on our exit out, no instabilities noticed

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:57 pm 

May Day Manta Ray:
wasatch surf and I hit that shot up in Thomas Fork of Neffs Canyon, that one that catches your eye from the REI parking lot on 3300 South, or from Olympus Cove Einsteins, but you can never quite see the whole thing from one spot from down in town. I've heard it compared to a manta ray, or an hourglass, and I've been wanting to ride it for a long time. Many years it doesn't fill in, and is said to have nasty ice in the chokepoint. It's pretty well filled in now though.

Snow in this 9500' NW-facing sheltered shot was starting to get a bit heavy by noon, but I'd still call it heavy settled powder, varying from a couple inches to a foot deep, at our noon drop-in. It sluffed, running with some vigor and force, upon our entry ski cut, as well as a couple more times on the way down, but manageable. Below 8000' the snow was getting to be mashed potatoes and grabby at 2PM.

Thanks Dan for another memorable stroll and skid, what a nice day in the hills.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next