Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to buy - Prior AMF vs Prior Backcountry?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 am 

So I'm finally going to get a splitboard after many years snowshoing and bootpacking but am struggling to make the final decision as to which board.

I've done a fair bit of research on these forums and am thinking that Prior should be able to meet my needs, but I'm struggling to decide between the BC and the AMF.

Its not like I ride a lot of freestyle, but I like the option to throw in a few spins or ride some switch pow when conditions are right. But on the other hand I am used to riding pretty stiff solid boards and love that feeling of the board kicking me out of the turn. I haven't ridden a rockered board befeore tho - so that whole part will be new whichever way I go.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated. I am really after one board to do it all, from variable New Zealand snowpacks to Japan powder to long, high altitude Argentine touring.

Has anyone had any hands on experience riding both the BC and the AMF? How do they compare ride wise? Much difference in performance on the skin up?

Post subject: Re: What to buy - Prior AMF vs Prior Backcountry?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 am 

Weird. The Prior site used to have a whole rap about how to choose between the AMF and the Backcountry, but I don't see it now. Call them on their toll-free number and talk to them - I'm sure they get this question every day. They are good at spending time with you selecting the board that works for you.

Rockered vs. non-rockered - that's a whole can of worms. Those who have rockered will swear by it. Personally, I don't like it. I demoed a rocker board and realized I like camber. I like feeling the full edge and having the entire length of the board flex back at me. My feeling with the rocker board was that it was only as wide as my stance width, and that the nose and tail were not there. This was not in deep powder, but in variable conditions - hardpack, hardpack with some loose, loose, a few pow stashes, etc. I bought the exact same board in a cambered version and it's my favorite board. My advice is to demo Priors or something similar to feel the difference - I'm sure glad I did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:39 am 

thanks - spoken to the guys at Prior and you were right - they did give me a great rundown. Their word was that there wasn't much difference in stiffness between the 2, just the different shapes, so I think I'm going to go the AMF and remove one more excuse as to why I don't push my riding style a bit more

unfortunately due to my location in the middle of summer in Western Australia, about as far as you can physically and spiritually get from a mountain, I cannot demo anything.. oh well if I don't like the rocker I may just have to home split my one of my old Illuminati's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:38 pm 

Just make sure you get one of the wide boards!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:31 pm 

The only issue I have seen with getting the full rockered AMF is that you lose a bit of skinning grip. The tip and tail are out of the snow on hardpacked skin tracks, so you lose a bit of grip. Their hybrid rocker setup is unreal though, which is what I ride (on khyber). But if you want to do any switch riding, you will have to go with the AMF because all the other prior boards are directional. So if touring is your priority, I would not go with the AMF and instead the backcountry. If riding style is your priority, then the AMF is the right choice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am 

OK - so I went ahead and got the AMF, and coincidentaly a good friend of mine picked up the BC in the same length (168), so we could do a pretty good comparison.

I would have to say I'm glad I went with the AMF. There really was very little difference in the stiffness that I could notice, but I found that the setback on the Backcountry was too over the ttop for the type of riding I like to do.

The rocker definitely took a bit of getting used to. I've found its a much more back foot - surfy kind of riding - even on piste, which is fun, but different from a straight up camber board. It was very floaty in the pow and was certainly easy to maneuver through trees. I wouldn't necessarily call it an improvement - at least not on the terrain I've ridden thus far - but it is definitely different, and heaps of fun.

Didn't notice too much difference on the skin up between the BC and the AMF. We both seemed limited to roughly the same pitches and were slipping in the same areas. I have to say that I did love the extra width that the Prior's give you in this length. No toe drag just made life a treat - though the restrictions of the Blaze binding mounting meant I could not avoid the heel cups dragging - but I'm working on a mod for that.

Other than that tho - all smiles. Board seems pretty bomber with no visibal damage to the base after 16 days of riding. Chopped down a few smaller tree branches with no noticable effects and the topsheet only saw minor damage due to my crappy skinning technique!

In additional all correspondence and dealings with Prior were top shelf and the turnaround time on my board was unbeatable. Custom topsheet delivered to my house in Australia in less than 3 weeks from placing order. Bravo!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 am 

Hi what is the different flex (from 1 to 10)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:53 pm 

The AMF is pretty soft. My 165 feels only marginally stiffer then my GNU carbon credit resort board - and the CC is a 156 wide!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 pm 

Hope you have better luck dealing with prior than I did, have been mailing prior for more than two weeks about their website that didn't work when I tried to buy the amf, I still haven't received any response!

I am now ordering another Neversummer instead.