Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:13 pm 

OK, so my original thread on this boot got lost with the SB.com server meltdown. Since then, I have made a couple of simple mods: I cut down the upper cuff on the medial side, just a little, about 3/16" or so. Removed the power strap, as the upper buckle is high enough on the cuff to not need the extra support of the power strap. Elongated the hole in the forward lean bar, just a little, about 5 mm or so; this allows free forward flex of about ten degrees when in ski mode. I also did some bootfitting mods on the liner to accommodate some of my irregularities, and I made a custom (carbon birch ply) 4 mm heel lift for my rear binding.
The boot is riding incredibly well, and, as expected touring fantastically as well. I think I will shim the rear of the liner just a little, to add a little more forward lean, and ultimately I'll probably replace the stock liner with an Intuition "Freeride" tongue liner, as the Intuition's are better then the stock liner.
I would suggest that anyone looking for a super light hard boot, with great riding and touring performance, should check out this incredible boot.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:28 pm 

Photos or it didn't happen sir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:03 pm 

Russ, what kind of photos???

For the boot in action, see the Notchtop Spire Couloir trip report.

For those who actually are interested in any more details about this boot, I am happy to help out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 pm 

I'd be interested in seeing photos of the mods TBH. I think the biggest inhibitor to me trying hardboots (again) is the idea of of taking some sort of cutting blade to a 600 boot. (though I confess I don't know how much these cost).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:32 pm 

Mods on these were really simple. The inside (medial) cuff was cut down just a little, maybe just a quarter to three eighths of an inch, the power strap was removed, and the square hole in the forward lean bar was elongated upwards just a little, maybe an eighth of an inch or so to allow for a little free play in the forward flex. I also do not use the (optional) ski tongue.
These are light and soft boots stock. My opinion is that every rider will do a little bit different mods to suit their individual preference.
I used a dremel followed by sandpaper on the cuff, and a small square file on the lean bar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

barrows wrote:
Mods on these were really simple. The inside (medial) cuff was cut down just a little, maybe just a quarter to three eighths of an inch, the power strap was removed, and the square hole in the forward lean bar was elongated upwards just a little, maybe an eighth of an inch or so to allow for a little free play in the forward flex. I also do not use the (optional) ski tongue.
These are light and soft boots stock. My opinion is that every rider will do a little bit different mods to suit their individual preference.
I used a dremel followed by sandpaper on the cuff, and a small square file on the lean bar.

what kind of attachment on the dremel? A cutting wheel or a sanding drum..or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:31 pm 

I have used both the sanding drum and the cutting tool (not wheel) to trim plastic on boots. The sanding drum tends to work by melting the plastic rather than actually sanding. The cutting tool works best-this is the attachment which looks like a drill bit, but is actually for cutting.
I like to stick a piece of tape on the boot shell to mark where to make the cut, then follow the tape line. I smooth out the cuts by hand sanding with 80, then 150 and finally 220 grit sandpapers, and polish with scotchbrite to remove sanding hairs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:09 pm 

barrows - are you rockn the TF or the TF-X? curious as to what the difference is b/n the two models? from the website i don't see a whole lot other than the weight, with the TF ~1/3lb lighter. assume you didn't opt for the the performance model due to the added stiffness from the carbon fiber upper, but have you tried on all 3 models?

this boot and your review of it have me incredibly intrigued. would really like to find someone that has ridden these and the garmont masterlite and lite rider. my suspicion is that these are superior, but would still like an apples-apples comparison.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:51 pm 

Chris-the TLT-5 Mountain comes stock (in the US) with the heavier liner. This liner is made by Dynafit, and is more of a traditional AT liner: it has a rubberized hut sole, lace loops and is only partially thermoformable.
The other liner (stock on the TLT-5 Performance, with the stiffer carbon fiber cuff) is made by Palau (France) is lighter, and is a fully thermoformable liner.
Both liners are very thin, designed to work with the highly anatomical shaping of the shell for better skiing performance without thick (heavy) plastic.
Unfortunately, I do not believe either of these liners is as good as an Intuition (I have a pair of Dynafit Zzero 3s with the Palau liners). For best fit, I suspect I will be replacing the stock liners with an Intuition Freeride liner (the Freeride is Intuitions softest flex tongue style liner). I have some unusual foot/ankle fit issues (related to previous injuries) and I am certain I could get a better fit working with an Intuition (better molding foam, thicker) liner. That said, I have been using the stock liner with good performance, but I want to replace it to achieve an even better fit.
I did not try on the Garmonts (Masterlites), but the store where I tried the TLT-5s had the Masterlites, and I could not figure a way to mod the forward lean mech without replacing it entirely. The Masterlite also felt stiffer when just hand flexing them (vs the TLT-5). Once I tried on the TLT-5 I was sold pretty quickly-the outer dimensions of the boot were so compact feeling and light on the foot I was inspired to boulder around on the climbing wall used for testing rock shoes.
Ultimately, boots are really personal, but I am really impressed with the TLT-5 Mountain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 pm 

^^^Many Thanks!

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:33 am 

Closeup photos of your boots you kook!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:14 am 

I am flirting with the idea of getting a hard boot set up for my split board. I rode (riveted, zero-flex) hard boots elusively for many years when I was racing, but have always felt hard boots of any sort to be far too restrictive for free-riding.

Assuming I can find a boot with enough flex, the two factors that could push me over the edge would be weight savings and uptrack efficiency. Given Barrow's review, this boot, the TL5 Performance (a partly-carbon version of the TL5 Mountain), which weighs an astounding 2 lb 5 oz per pair, has me seriously considering such a set-up.

http://www.backcountry.com/dynafit-tlt-5-performance-tf-alpine-touring-boot

So what I'm wondering is whether its carbon fiber cuff precludes or makes far more risky mods discussed here, or if mods needed to facilitate snowboarding-friendly flex could avoid the cuff.

I've modified plenty of plastic boots over the years, but has anybody ever cut into carbon fiber?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 am 

Taylor:

Stiffness of a modded AT boot, and a snowboard racing boot are not at all comparable. My TLT5s are very close in flex to my Driver Xs-and I could make them softer if I wanted to.

RE: TLT5 Mountain (pebax cuff) vs. TLT5 Performance (carbon cuff). I would not consider the Performance version, the carbon cuff does not save any weight (the weight difference is actually the difference in the liners-see above posts re the liners). The carbon cuff version is much stiffer both for forward, medial, and lateral flex. For more details on these boots there is a long thread at TGR-suffice to say, skiers prefer the Performance because of its additional stiffness, us splitters are going to prefer the softer flexing (and more affordable) Mountain version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next