Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Never Summer SL Splits...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 pm 

It's funny that I also had a 156cm 450 from 02 or 03.

Anyway picked up a 156 Salomon Sick Stick for a 2 week dirtbag Nelson trip. Loved that board. Have no use for my 162 Gyrator anymore.

But I digress, my real point of posting is at 145 lbs which size Sl split do I get? One of my guides at Baldface was 150 lbs and shredding the poop outta a 169 Prior split all week

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 pm 

Sure on the beer :guinness:

I feel similarly about my solid K2 156 Turbo Dream '10 - after I demo-ed the Raptor, and now that I have the Heritage split...

Funny how from my favorite it's now a rock-board... Hate to say it, but I almost want to break it so that I can justify getting another board - and I hate breaking boards, I like to take care of my rides and wax all the time. I even got Union Force MCs for it to see if I can get back some of the stoke. It's still a very nice board, just doesn't compare to NS

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:34 pm 

For those of you that bought the so split how long did it take to et? Did you buy the voile DIY kit to mount the bindings? Treats all bc carries. Did you buy anything else at the same time?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 pm 

mine came in two days, i think... paid like 20 bucks for shipping...

it comes from BC.com with tip and tail clips, chinese hooks, touring brackets and climbing wires. i had sparks and universal voile pucks already - got em at a shop that sold loose parts out of the voile kit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:28 pm 

Mine was 999.99 included shipping, came with tip and tail clips, chinese hooks, heel lifters, touring brackets, and a sticker, board was at my house in 4 days. I too had some old pucks/gaskets, skins, and sparks Fuse's One more thing to add is that the splitty is thinner than my 2 year old solid NS and is just as lightweight if not lighter than my DIY revolver with no inner edge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:37 pm 

what the FUCK?? i didnt get a fucking sticker...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:13 pm 

I sold the burton split to a friend today, and ordered a NS SL 161cm splitboard this evening =) Hopefully I get a sticker lol :bananas:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 pm 

I bought my 163X through World Boards in Bozeman, MT. They hooked up the stickage (if you're into that sorta thing), shipped it the day I ordered it (came in 2 days from MT to CO), and it's sales tax free (saved like $75)!! :bananas:

Can't wait to ride this thing, and apparently neither can she... :headbang:

...although I won't get to take this bad boy out until next season, waiting on the new Karakoram SL's to come out. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 pm 

Sweet man! Why not get the Voile universal kit, and throw on your regular bindings and ride it? Or are you waiting for it to be complete? I'm going to order up those bindings as well, I really like their work. I can appreciated that kind of machining work. So why did you opt for the 163cm? Is the 163x the same as just 163? I see they hooked you up really good (with all those stickers =) haha j/k) - or do you mean a great price? $999 shipped on BC.com is pretty good.

Post subject: Skinning traction?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm 

My climb up our local backcountry area is pretty firm right now with packed, wet, coastal Alaskan spring snow. While I like the width and other numbers on the 163x, the climbing performance of the rocker/camber design makes me nervous. A full camber puts a fair bit of base down on hard surfaces. It would seem that the rocker under your foot on the SL boards would make the contact patch pretty tiny.

Anybody skinned up an icy, or firm slushy track and have real world feedback on how the rocker/camber boards compare to full (or near full) camber boards?

TIA

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:44 pm 

Quote:
Sweet man! Why not get the Voile universal kit, and throw on your regular bindings and ride it? Or are you waiting for it to be complete? I'm going to order up those bindings as well, I really like their work. I can appreciated that kind of machining work. So why did you opt for the 163cm? Is the 163x the same as just 163? I see they hooked you up really good (with all those stickers =) haha j/k) - or do you mean a great price? $999 shipped on BC.com is pretty good.

I'm just getting into splitboarding so if I'm starting from scratch I figured I might as well just wait and go for the full Karakoram setup. Plus from all the research I have done, the Karakoram's appear to have the most advantages for the kind of riding I want to do. They will be worth the wait.
The 163 and the 163X are the same thing; I had to get the extra-wide because I have size 13 feet. :) I have a 2008 NS Heritage 163X solid board (before they came out with rocker/camber) that I throw around pretty good. The SL split is in fact a Heritage board (same materials, core, stiffness, dampening, etc.) with the SL top/bottom layers. So with the same dampening and stiffness that I'm already used to plus the lighter weight materials and the R/C technology, this split will be the absolute titties for my kind of riding. :thatrocks:
The price for mine was the exact same... $999 (+ $20 shipping) but the no tax thing starts equating to significant savings when you are spending this kind of dough. It was definitely a pleasant surprise. I need to start ordering stuff from Montana and Oregon shops! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 am 

Quote:
My climb up our local backcountry area is pretty firm right one with packed wet spring coastal Alaska snow. While I like the width and other numbers on the 163x, the climbing performance of the rocker/camber design makes me nervous. A full camber puts a fair bit of base down on hard surfaces. It would seem that the rocker under your foot on the SL boards would make the contact patch pretty tiny.

Anybody skinned up an icy or firm slushy track and have real world feedback on how the rocker/camber boards compare to full (or near full) camber boards?

I don't have any personal experience of my own, but here is one of the threads I ran across before I pulled the trigger on my board. http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10583
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 am 

Thanks for the link. I'm new too but it will be taunting me too mug not to ride it. I feel the same about the karakorams

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next