Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how do you carry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:56 pm 

I get really nervous about carry my D80 around because it's expensive and I don't want to break it. I would love to throw it in a pelican case but that takes WAY too much space and is heavy. I fear falling on it and breaking it but I'm sick of carrying around the "disposable" digital around (Nikon coolpix L4).

Post subject: Re: how do you carry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:31 pm 

My bro and I trade off carrying a canon 5d with a bunch of lenses in this pack(http://dakine.com/snowboard/packs/photo/sequence/). Have landed on my back MANY times with this setup and the camera seems to do fine, 6 seasons and no broken cameras yet! I also like to use a toploading slr case for days when i only want to bring an slr with just 1 lense-(http://products.lowepro.com/product/Top ... 2051,8.htm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:13 pm 

i carry my d40 + 18-200 in a lowe pro off trail pouch. Usually it stays in my pack. I try to put the jacket around it.

I've sat on it, crashed on it, dropped it, etc... no damage. I've dropped the camera body on a concrete floor once (i was drunk), no damage. i once left it on the roof of my car and drove off. 2 minutes later I saw something black in the rearview mirror. no damage.

I think nikons are impossible to kill ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:26 am 

I like that topload Lowe. The other case is sick but that would be carrying 2 full packs. I'm thinking specifically about my Mt Washington trip that is coming up soon. Most of the stuff I do around here doesn't require a lot of gear so I have space in the pack but on this trip I'll probably have a lot of gear but I want to bring the D80 (preferably with the 300mm). THanks guys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm 

i've been shoot for awhile now, and in the back country, while splitboarding, i use the dakine guide bag, it's got the back zips so it's easy to get to your gear. While inbounds, or near bounds back country stuff, a lot of jumps with the bros, i take my dakine sequence bag, awesome bag. but not a whole lot of room for skins, poles, extra food, extra clothes, etc.... dakine makes awesome stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:16 pm 

I use the top loader camera gear from these guys:
http://www.kgear.com/store/index.php/c/c380.html

Had seen a bunch of good reviews on them, and I like them too. Very durable and water resistant and lots of straps/connections to be able to attach to other bags. I have the small holster for my Rebel XSI that I carry on my chest. A little pricy, but very versatile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 am 

inbounds - Dakine Mission Photo - room for camera block, thermos, skins, food
BC - Dakine Ridge with photo block, thermos, skins, food, shovel, probe, down sweater, food. Heavy but that's life.
chest pack - never liked the feel, but have got a Lowe Pro TLZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:38 pm 

I run a dakine sequence but its not really setup for touring too well...have to take my shovel handle apart into two pieces just to fit the pack, and the probe winds up behind the camera block, with little space left for day-tour essentials (food, water, spare layers etc). There is a new company called f-stop that has been working with action sports photogs for something a step up--internal frames, space for everything without added bulk and botching your center of gravity, but they are always backordered and pricey. If you plan on shredding a ton with your camera gear, though, they might be worth the investment, especially considering its not THAT much more than a dakine or burton camera bag...the lowepro backpacks just don't seem like they are geared for riding and shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:04 pm 

For backcountry, I highly recommend using a toploading bag on a chest harness. Quick access to the camera is vital (IMHO) and this setup keeps the camera right at your finger tips. I have a Dakine Sequence but it rarely gets used for backcountry hiking. Might pick up another dakine backpack with back panel access then stuff the camera block in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:02 pm 

I just replaced my Nikon d80 with a Nikon d300s and am need of new case for it as it doesn't fit in my d80 case, plus I sold it with the camera. I was looking at the Lowepro Topload Zoom1, but would like something that has water proof zippers and is at least water resistant. Liking the looks of the Kinesis product, although would like to check it out before buying. Any others out there that people like? I don't want to get a camera pack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:39 pm 

+3 for the chest harness.
I'm too lazy to take off my pack and end up missing shots, so I started using the toploader with a chest harness. It's sooo much quicker to get the camera out and I don't end up falling behind the group(well, not too badly...). Plus it's held up well during a few good crashes.
My other lenses (70-200 and 8mm) usually stay in my pack in lens cases.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 pm 

I've now been running an f-stop Tilopa the whole season and am very impressed. Their new one, the BC edition, looks like a dream come true for overnighters etc: http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa-bc. It really depends how serious you are for photos vs shredding, though--carrying something this size means you probably aren't hitting many drops etc, but just slashing pow and shooting... but i wouldn't recommend jumping with a few grand of camera gear in tow, anyways, the impact can mess with your gear more than you think, even if it doesnt break...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm 

I was on the fence with getting that pack...seems like a good idea. I find when the camera is in the pack I take less pictures on the move though. Still using my old lowe. I used to strap it across my chest but this year the camera seems to be in my pack more. Felt kinda kooky with it on my chest...plus the 5D is alot heavier than my old rebel. I hear you about not falling with a couple grand strapped to your back. Its hard to give up drops on certain days when the powder is deep.