Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark Highbacks :(
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:09 am 

Look guys, the highbacks are not unrideable. Sure, optimally they would be stiffer but it ain't gonna hold you up from riding what you want to ride.

Yeah, I know the bindings are backerds. Didn't make a difference.

This is a narrow, steep, powdery chute with some spots of suncrust. The stock blazes handled it just fine yesterday. To say that you wouldn't trust them for anything more than meadow skipping is overreacting a little. It isn't the end of the world.

As far as the ratchets go, I actually like these better than the ones on my ride spi's but that's not saying much, those things are shitty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 am 

Well stated Shredgnar! I saw the TR already, and love this pic.
As I have mentioned previously, I have flexed the Blaze highback in the shop, and just cannot figure out what the big deal is? I like a responsive boot binding interface, but I dislike really stiff highbacks (like most carbon ones). I prefer a tall highback, with a good amount of lean, but one which allows for some flex when hitting rougher snow surfaces. A little flex in the highback goes a long way to being able to keep your line when hitting uneven snow.
It would have been easy for Spark RnD to make their highback stiffer, without any additional cost, it appears that Will also like highbacks with a little bit of give.
I would suggest for anyone using the Blaze, who finds heelside response a little lacking, try dialing in a little more lean and test it out.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:43 pm 

not gonna read all the posts...

I will say that I prefer stiffer HB's and I've seen the spark HB's get softer over the years in an effort to save weight. The fuse's are almost too soft IMO and I wouldn't buy the blazes because they feel even softer.

I hope Sparks beef up their HB and straps in later models.

I think a stiff and soft HB would we an awesome option when purchasing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Highbacks are superfluous!

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Pedro, your dedication to the darkside is inspiring!

ACTUALLY, noboarding is the STEEEZE.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 am 

Additionally I think toe straps are a luxury item also. My buddy Eddy rode an entire day at Vail with only 3 straps. We now call him 3-strap Eddy.

I just think people get too hung up on the nuts and bolts of the sport. All this stuff is cool... but necessity or luxury?

We have (had) a family friend Glenn Exum, he climbed the Tetons in 1931 with leather, wool and rope. I am sure it would have been great to have nylon, aluminum and cordura but its not required.

PS: I ride where everyone else rides.... only switch and in Low-Backs.

Cheers Russ! :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 am 

I've been able to check out the Burner highback for next year. Initial thought is that it is a lot stiff than the original Blaze highback. The chassis is still the same. I've only had a day on them, but they did seem to be a lot more responsive and supportive than the old Blaze. Other than the stiffness the highback is designed the same.

Anyone find the forward that the forward lean isn't all that great? I normally run next to no forward lean. Just a little so that I can ride comfortably but easily apply pressure on heel turns. With the Blaze or Burner highback I have it one off of the highest setting and I am getting it where I like it. If you like to run a lot of forward lean, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 am 

Hey Will,

I am trying to respond to your PM, but I am getting message that "Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt." Not sure if it is a setting you have or if it's a problem with the site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:19 pm 

Quote:
Anyone find the forward that the forward lean isn't all that great? I normally run next to no forward lean. Just a little so that I can ride comfortably but easily apply pressure on heel turns. With the Blaze or Burner highback I have it one off of the highest setting and I am getting it where I like it. If you like to run a lot of forward lean, good luck.

My thoughts exactly. I think they designed these like this so that fwd lean can be eliminated while touring but most boots prevent you from leaning that far back anyway. I rarely use much fwd lean but on these I have them maxed out as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm 

I don't have them maxed, but I have them pretty high up on the scale. Will contacted me about it, so I did play with forward lean a bit. There is a big difference from 4.5 to the 5.5 (Max)setting. I doubt I would like the max setting on these as that does seem awfully forward. I am going to play with this weekend to see how I feel about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:31 pm 

I did a pretty long tour yesterday with them set at 4.5 and they were fine. Could have left them back until the top to allow for more range of motion but I'm lazy at the little things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:08 am 

Salomon highbacks bolt right on with no issues and are super comfortable....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:10 pm 

Just an update, I modified the Sparks with mission highbacks and straps and wow...it's perfect. It was fairly easy. I would have gotten some better binders to rip apart but obviously it's pretty late in the game.

I am really happy now with the setup. Feel like the resort board basically. I'll post pics. The only bad part is that I can't fold the highback all the way, but given how it rode today...I'm stoked. Basically don't even care about the money now. I guess some people are cool with the hardware...I just was having some serious issues from day 1, and I guess I am used to stiff highbacks. :headbang:

Maybe I was overreacting a little, but honestly that chute you pictured in well within my ability but there's no way I would have done it with the stock sparks. I was seriously scaring myself. Not sure why it bothered me SO much, but honestly, for me out of the box they were really cramping my style. The new chit for next year looks much better, I kinda wish I waited a year. :banghead:

[edit] - I was having the same problem with forward lean. it's because theres alot of play between the highback and heelcup. my burton mission HBs actually fit much tighter.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 am 

I also got to try out a pair of Burner highbacks and I felt they were an improvement for me (northeast, variable conditions, tight trees). I am a big guy, 260+lbs. before gear. The stiffness of the Burner highback truly improved the responsiveness from my board on day 1. The difference is noticeable just holding them and giving a squeeze...

big ups for Will for giving me a chance to finish my season with em and big ups for the stiffer highback :thumpsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next