Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Goggles, what and why?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:30 pm 

I have the SMITH I/O's and I love em, super easy to change lenses on the fly if conditions change (or if one lens fogs up)

comfy, too

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm 

Electric EG1S, excellent peripheral and super comfortable....great compatibility with helmets too. Definitely try them on though first, they're big. Never an issue with fog and lenses are quite a bit cheaper than competitors.

By the way, highly recommend prolens.com for replacement lenses, great selection and prices for goggles that don't advertise replacement lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 pm 

I have a pair of oakley crowbars with the amber polarized lens and i gotta say they are amazing! I haven't had them fog up yet (even while hiking) and the peripherals are great. You really can't go wrong with these but they can be a little pricey depending on the lens of your choice....keep an eye out on ebay for some great deals.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:04 am 

jerrett wrote:
I have the SMITH I/O's and I love em, super easy to change lenses on the fly if conditions change (or if one lens fogs up)

comfy, too

I've got these, too. My only complaint is that they are a little small for a larger face, but doable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:15 am 

Try S4 optics. My friend is a rep so the fact that I don't pay for them helps but I am impressed at the quality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 am 

I have custom Oakley Splice - it took them 3 orders to get it right including once spelling my name wrong, but I do like them. What I like even better is the Rx insert with full field view instead of wearing glasses under which I got from www.heavyglare.com I had a close call with some temples on my glasses breaking upon a fall, which could have severely scratched my eye. Fortunately, it just scratched my skin. I am very happy with the whole package now.

I highly recommend heavyglare.com :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 am 

Love my Smith Prodigy's! Got 2 pair, one sunny and one for cloudy. Sensor mirror rules in low light. I don't care to change out lenses, so I bring both; a second pair of goggles also helps with fogging or accidental faceplant issues! :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 pm 

Crowbars. They fit, look fine, never fog, helmet friendly, and tons of very quality lens choices. I'd buy them again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 am 

I've used Oakley's and Spy's in the past and even a pair of cheap Scott's when my old spys gave it up and cracked. I have to say though that switching to Smith I/O was a good choice for me. They fit my face great, seal against my helmet so nothing gets up under it and the lens change system is amazing. Very quick and easy which means if you're in the sun on the way up and the light goes flat, you don't spend a lot of time with your gloves off freezing your hands trying to change your lens. They also have a number of good lens selection however they are tricky to find at times...nothing an internet order can't fix.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:58 am 

I've got Oakley Crowbars with the pimp Fire Iridium lens for sunny moments and Smith Phenoms with Sensor Mirror for low visibility sessions.

The Crowbars look cool, have astonishing optics and fit very comfortably, but they aren't perfect with a helmet. They leave the smallest gap because of the shape of the top of the rim. This has only ever bothered me once on a -30'C day (-22F). What HAS bothered me is the durability of the lens. It seems to me that the lens gets scratched just from thinking sharp thoughts and the inside of the lens develops small spots that can't (and shouldn't) be rubbed off. Three of my friends have had similar issues with altogether 7 different Oakley crowbars and a-frames so it's not just a bad batch or fluke.

The Smith Sensor Mirrors aren't optically quite up to par with Oakley's HI Yellow lenses but they do serve me well in flat light conditions. Living in Finland we mostly have flat light conditions in winter, as the sun just doesn't shine too often in addition to having short daylight hours, so I really appreciate the sensor mirrors! The Phenoms also seem rather rugged and haven't minded the occasional "up close and personal" contact with a spruce tree or two. The lens seems barely scratched at all. Unnecessary to say, the Smiths have perfect helmet fit and are very comfortable otherwise as well.

The next goggles I buy will be Smiths and the model is going to be Phenom or better. The Phenoms are basically a budget version of the high end Smiths. They have all the optical and defogging properties but look slightly less cool and can thus be had rather cheaply on the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 am 

these are a little spendy but work really well at keeping the snow out of your eyes

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___88758

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:51 am 

I can fog anything. My best success with staying fog free to date is with Oakley Aframes, but I still fog them after hiking for too long in them.... (consendation from my sweaty face on the inside of the lens... =( ) If I carry them in my bag then put them on when riding it's usually not an issue.

Now I carry multiple pairs of lenses and switch them out at lunchtime during day trips. If anyone has suggestions for anything that is the most fog free lens out there I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 pm 

I just got a couple of phenoms ( ugly Strap/colours) for $35 each from dept of goods.

good quality/price ratio for me. The dry spare pair in your bag when its snowing are the best goggles