Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winter camping: Tent vs Shelter/tarp?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 pm 

I too use a tarp style shelter for everything I do. I use the Black Diamond Beta Light. I also own the Beta Bug for summer stuff. I have found it to be pretty awesome for everything I have done. It's super light too, listed weight packed is 1.5 lbs. It also packs TINY which is awesome as well.

It's held up well in snow too, had to use the extra guy lines but it held up well.

It also held up pretty well to some howling canyon winds in Death Valley although like other tents the material can really get flapping and make sleeping a little difficult. A rock wall fixed that :D

I haven't done any gnarly mountaineering stuff though but I don't think it would work well as it is a little finicky to setup, isn't free standing and I don't know how well it would do in really big snow or heavy duty wind. That's not what it was designed for anyway! Right tool for the job!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm 

You don't need a tarp for a floor for a floorless tent or snow shelter. It would just slide around. The beauty of a floorless tent or snow shelter. is that you can cook inside it (with well ventilation) and not worry about spilling something, Snow shelters are a lot warmer and quieter than a tent and condensation is less of a problem; meaning the condensation does not fall from the tent wall, when the wind blows.

Quote:
I haven't done any gnarly mountaineering stuff though but I don't think (BD Beta Mid). it would work well as it is a little finicky to setup, isn't free standing and I don't know how well it would do in really big snow or heavy duty wind. That's not what it was designed for anyway! Right tool for the job!
. I also use tent cord tensioner, adds weight but makes setting up a tent a breeze. See http://brooks-range.com/cord-tensioner-set.html

Trust me the your "Mid works great for winter camping and mountaineering, consider using the BD Pole Link converter with ski poles (the ski basket really helps with the snow) and use cord and snow anchors ( http://www.rei.com/product/725165 ) for staking down the tent.

If I were to go to go to one backcountry place on a regular basis, would build ICEBOX Igloo early in the season (well hidden). See http://www.grandshelters.com/ and http://www.rei.com/product/724066. The igloo would work well early in the season when there is less snow vs snowcave /dugloo needs a lot of snow. The Icebox Igloo works well with drier inner-mountain snow pack (and wetter coastal snow pack too) for making igloo blocks. A drier snow pack its a lot hard to make consistent igloo blocks, hence the 'igloo maker" really helps. A wetter coastal snow pack all you need is a snowsaw and skill.

If you use a tent bring a small brush or sponge to sweep/wipe away snow and condensation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:42 pm 

Powder_Rider wrote:
You don't need a tarp for a floor for a floorless tent or snow shelter. It would just slide around. The beauty of a floorless tent or snow shelter. is that you can cook inside it (with well ventilation) and not worry about spilling something, Snow shelters are a lot warmer and quieter than a tent and condensation is less of a problem; meaning the condensation does not fall from the tent wall, when the wind blows.

I don't use a floor in the winter for sure! Snow shelters absolutely rule if you have the time and energy to build them. No doubt about that! It is also absolutely amazing how quiet they are when it's nuking outside too!

I've done caves and trenches, never a full on igloo. If I were going to spend anytime in one area I would still probably just dig a cave. Igloos are super cool though as I've seen and been in some people have built. The sierra cement is great for building!

Three person cave near Mt. Diller in Lassen Nat'l Park:

Powder_Rider wrote:
I also use tent cord tensioner, adds weight but makes setting up a tent a breeze. See http://brooks-range.com/cord-tensioner-set.html

I'm old school, I use taut line hitches or other variants of it. I've never had the knot freeze on me but I imagine if it did it would be a pain.

Powder_Rider wrote:
If you use a tent bring a small brush or sponge to sweep/wipe away snow and condensation.

Or you just enjoy the icicle shower each time you or your partner moves! :guinness:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 am 

quinzeez work extremely well if done right. pile snow, let sit for a few hours. put some 12-14 inch sticks from topside all around. dig out till hit sticks. harvest spruce or other conifer boughs and line bottom for warmth / insulted floor. sleep in same chamber to add body heat, chamber can be elevatd as we all know heat rises. stay dry especially for sleep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm 

Google this tent: BD Guiding Light. Just got back from the first trip using it and it is amazing. 4 person tent at 6lbs. 50mph gusts and you could barely notice.