Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magna Traction....... Does it really work?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:23 am 

Hi fellow splitters,

Now that magna traction has matured a little bit, I just wanted to get some feedback on whether it really works or whether it's just a new way for manufacturers to get us to part with our cash.

Maybe you could give an answer rating it only on hard snow and icy conditions with:

- slight difference
- difference
- big difference

And whether there are any drawbacks to it at all such as it hooking under certain circumstances or anything at all.

Look forward to answers.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Magna Traction....... Does it really work?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 pm 

Yes, yes and yes....I personally wouldn't go back to a board without it, especially if the deck has any rocker to it at all! I suppose that I would rate it as "difference", it's significant enough that it gives me more confidence to rely on that edge to dig in so that I can charge and not worry about washing out and sliding down a sketchy face. Maybe it is all psychological but hey this is splitboarding, aren't we all putting ourselves through hours of hiking to ride pow? :headbang:

Mag is one of the reasons why I'm still patiently waiting for a new splitboard...long story but that is how much stock I put into it...mag, a bit of rocker and a efficient shape/sidecut and that is the board for me that will do it all!

If you look at it this way too, Lib Tech/Mervin started it and now Burton is doing it under a different name. Their boards don't cost any more than they did a couple of years ago and yet it would have cost them more to modify their forms so it must have some merit to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:15 pm 

Mellow magna traction makes a big difference in crust, hard snow and icy conditions. At least for me it did. That extra 5-10% grip sometimes makes all the difference.

When I say mellow, I mean the 3-point version on the JJ Flagship/Solution. Doesn't seem 'hooky' at all to me.

I don't have any experience with the more aggressive versions of magna-traction, but have heard the edge can be so aggressive that it actually slows you down in the turn and locks you in more than you'd want.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm 

It most definitely does help in ice. I went from never riding mag this winter, to buying a GNU carbon credit as an all mt. screw around board, to replacing my other NS with a T. rice w/ mag.

At first it felt a little hooky to me, but i think once my edges got naturally detuned from the factory razor blade setting it hasn't felt that way at all. I feel much more confident railing turns and am having a blast on groomers again.

The turning is definitely different though, and I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like it as much as I do...but my sloppy style and skate background really seems to be a perfect fit for it.....and nothing is better than straight lining an icy groomer or similar, ending in a nice toe side stop on a dime, something I could never do on standard edge in the past confidently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:14 pm 

I have a rossignol experience and a lib tech dark series (both current models). They both have aggressive magne and I love it. It's weird to get used to at first but I now won't ride a solid board without it. I don't have magne in my splitboard quiver yet but I will next year after I get a solution (again). Would love to see lib tech make a landvik or dark series in a split.

I've only ridden the dark series on a fast powder day and the magne would act real "braky" after straight lining a chute. One time I straight ran a chute and was doing mach 4 coming out in untouched fast sierra powder. I set the heelside edge and literally came to a stop 40 to 0mph in 10 feet. It was part my reaction but the magne felt like I put on a parking brake. Not really a good thing, just saying is you need to get used to it on each board you ride. The rossi has same magne and I find it very predicable and comforting. Magne really shines on groomers/hardpack and most of the time you don't notice it in powder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm 

Call me crazy but on my Jones Flagship 163W I can't really notice any difference in any conditions from a properly tuned board.

Yes it has mellow mag so maybe it's not a "true" comparison.

Either way when I decided to buy the board I figured since it was mellow mag I would either notice extra hold advantage with few downsides or nothing at all. So I didn't let it really sway my decision either way. Also this is the only Magne-Traction board I have ever ridden.

Just had to but in my :twocents: with a dissenting opinion. :doobie:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 pm 

I feel the rocker takes away a lot of the edge hold on firmer conditions and the magna traction brings a great deal of it back. The Lib Tech-Travis Rice has a "mustache" rocker. I think this is better for carving. as opposed to a banana rocker. The banana rocker is very forgiving for any of you who might like to play around in the park. I do like some camber for that nice rail to rail feel, but the banana will rail once you adjust to it. I think Jones may be the immediate go to for most backcountry lovers. Couldn't find one to buy this year and the Travis Rice-Lib Tech split is sweet but maybe just a little soft. Slightly stiffer might be better. Depending on your weight of course. I'm about 185.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 pm 

Quote:
Call me crazy but on my Jones Flagship 163W I can't really notice any difference in any conditions from a properly tuned board.

Call me crazy, but just how easy is it tune Magna Traction properly? I am not talk'n about use the cheap "toy" tuning tool sold for Magna Traction; I am talking about a full tune with bevels, files and stones!

How long does the Magna Traction tuned board last, or is it a pain to tune. Or is it just a pain to tune and maintain the edge?

Quote:
I feel the rocker takes away a lot of the edge hold on firmer conditions and the magna traction brings a great deal of it back.

Magna Traction seems to have some credibility from (J Jones, T Rice and others), but what is like to ride when the edges need to be tune? Or is Magna Traction marketing-hype to differentiate from board competitors, like Burton ICS and three-hole binding inserts?

BTW: I am stoked about the Jone's Hovercraft Splitty for next year! But I am concern whether one can really tune a Magna Tranction Board or tuna fish!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:50 pm 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:

Call me crazy, but just how easy is it tune Magna Traction properly? I am not talk'n about use the cheap "toy" tuning tool sold for Magna Traction; I am talking about a full tune with bevels, files and stones!

How long does the Magna Traction tuned board last, or is it a pain to tune. Or is it just a pain to tune and maintain the edge?

Quote:
I feel the rocker takes away a lot of the edge hold on firmer conditions and the magna traction brings a great deal of it back.

Magna Traction seems to have some credibility from (J Jones, T Rice and others), but what is like to ride when the edges need to be tune? Or is Magna Traction marketing-hype to differentiate from board competitors, like Burton ICS and three-hole binding inserts?

BTW: I am stoked about the Jone's Hovercraft Splitty for next year! But I am concern whether one can really tune a Magna Tranction Board or tuna fish!

I know nothing of tuna fish, but many park rats love it because they can detune the crap out of it for rails but it still holds an edge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 pm 

I just talked to a tech a couple of days ago and he said magna traction is hard to tune. But it is doable. Jones hovercraft has magna traction. If tuning is such a huge deal for magna traction it wouldn't surprise me to see camber coming back in. But I think someone will just invent a better tool to tune magna traction. Both of mine are still sharp. I can see how they would be a serious "drag" when the edges get dull. Even sharp they do grab slightly when deep on the rail. In truth I think the jury is still out on rocker and think maybe the magna traction could be the thing to make them more of a all conditions board. In my opinion just about any snowboard works well in powder. I do have a Burton Fish and it is loads of fun in powder and shines the most in "mashed potatoes". But with a little more work my 156 twin works fine in powder too. For that matter I have an old Burton 181 that works in the park. Fun fun to have a quiver but do we need one? If I had to keep just one board I think I'd hang with my new Travis Rice magna traction split. Sure hoping the tuning won't be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:57 am 

I feel a difference and would not want a board without it. (or something like it = multi-point contact edge)

As was said: it doesn't have to be sharp to hold. Still, I prefer it sharp for hard / ice. Haven't tuned yet, but base should be the same, and side - I plan to use the 'toy'. Can see how larger stones and files would call for more attention...

'Jury out on rocker' - not for me, and many others. Not saying I won't ever ride camber again, but I am certainly having much more fun with rocker right now. I think I would still want multi-point contact with camber - but have to really ride it to decide

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 am 

Regarding tuning, so far I haven't noticed much difference tuning my Jones vs. other non-magne boards. That's probably because the magne on the Solution is really mellow compared to "normal" magne boards. Maybe I just don't know any better, but I've just been using standard tuning tools/bevels etc. and haven't run into any issues.