Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:18 pm 

Snowboard journal is great mag, because it focuses on snowboarding as an art and a lifestyle. The last thing I would like to see is splitboarding in Transworld, as just another trend. Most of us can agree we splitboard because we Love mountains and the peace and solitude that the backcountry brings us. I am completely content with keeping the backcountry a place of solitude. Most the guys I respect the most are riding old gear that most of us couldn't imagine riding, but they have an incredible vibe their in the mountains for no one but themselves and the people that their sharing the moment with and their putting down the sickest lines and not because they feel pushed to meet their sponsors demands, because they love it passionately. I hate the resort scene and would hate to have that in the backcountry. Personally I am blown away by the current technology and am perfectly fine with my old gear, I couldnt afford any of the new stuff anyway. I say we keep this little secret to ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:40 am 

... this site is the single best place for splitboadring info. all that's really needed are some mentions in the print magazines about the site and once riders get here they will take it from there. every print magazine has to sell advertising to survive, each one aims at their target audience, i.e. the advertiser's target market. that's why you won't see a Marmot ad in TWSnow, or a 686 ad in Couloir.

enjoy your frings status as a splitter, still more core than even tele these days. stay enthusiastic and focused on splittin and the others that get into it will arrive.... it's never going to get very big and there is never going to be a bunch of product development from the big companies. hats off to Voile for doing as much as they have on the product end. Prior too. Burton's move to decks only a good step for end-users too, essentially validating the Voile pucks/pattern as the current industry "standard."

sittin coastal eyeing the next S headed this way....

KK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:41 am 

... this site is the single best place for splitboadring info. all that's really needed are some mentions in the print magazines about the site and once riders get here they will take it from there. every print magazine has to sell advertising to survive, each one aims at their target audience, i.e. the advertiser's target market. that's why you won't see a Marmot ad in TWSnow, or a 686 ad in Couloir.

enjoy your frings status as a splitter, still more core than even tele these days. stay enthusiastic and focused on splittin and the others that get into it will arrive.... it's never going to get very big and there is never going to be a bunch of product development from the big companies. hats off to Voile for doing as much as they have on the product end. Prior too. Burton's move to decks only a good step for end-users too, essentially validating the Voile pucks/pattern as the current industry "standard."

sittin coastal eyeing the next S headed this way....

KK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:53 pm 

Utah,
Don't know if you or KK killed the thread, but I'll revive it. :roll: :D

I gotta say, I agree with both of ya.

DJ, what do you think? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 pm 

I think PJ sucks....

He gave me a bad rating, and he doesn't like my music :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:59 pm 

All this negativity. If I could only rate you on this board. :|

You gotta fly like an eagle...

This might be the thread killer. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:27 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:

I don't think people realize you can ride stuff like this on a split.

Oh

My

Gawd

That's about as sick a line as Ive ever seen. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:12 pm 

Rome rider Jonavan Moore ladies and gentleman. (on a split) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:23 pm 

That is such a nasty photo. Which boards are better for carving quartzite? granite? Ouch :shock:
I think the best thing about this site is that everyone is tweaking all their gear and sharing what they've learned with others. It seems much more interesting that the perfect boot, gear, whatever is not widely available and splitters are still coming up with their own solutions. I'm glad that mountains are hard to climb and it's not all bad that it takes a lifetime of experience and then a lot of consistency not to get smeared in the B.C.
I don't see the point in trying to get tens of thousands in to splitting so a major corp. can make super duper perfect gear. When the snow is good doesn't everything work well. When the snow is terrible, why be there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm 

Why, exactly, does "our sport" need coverage?

These are the reasons I can think of:

Recognition - fame/approval/babes, etc. ?! You should go back to the resort now.

Popularize the sport - OK, splitboarding will be next year's hot, new extreme sport. Don't miss MTV's "Split Splash" Spring Break Encampment live from your favorite wilderness area. And tune in to CBS Tuesday to share Stephanie's heartache when Donner disappears in a mysterious splitboarding accident! The new James Bond movie... It's great that people continue to discover the bliss, etc. of the backcountry (we were all newbies, once), but I think it's best left a natural process. Why would we want to actively draw more, and unprepared, people into the backcountry?

Grow gear market - A benefit to us in variety, availability, price, R&D. Of course, I want all the groovy little companies to survive and succeed. The overall backcountry market is growing, and will continue, no doubt. Since, sooner or later, all backcountry snowboarders will be splitboarders, and the more enlightened pinheads will convert :wink:, this market should do just fine.

Having said that, I'm not sure there's really much chance of the press going wild over splitboarding, since it's really just a method of ascent. It all looks the same going down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:51 pm 

As to the growth of the sport and it being next years big hot thing, its true. I forget what magazine I was flipping through but it had a gift guide for skiers and snowboarders in it and one of the gifts was a new prior splitboard. Crazy, I had never heard of these things untill.... well.... dont really know how I found out about them, now they are in mainstream magazines. Crazy
-Barret