Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gloves - tour and split
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 am 

Hi all,

I'm looking for some gloves that are light enough to start/end my tour in and then put skis into board mode and vice versa. I carry two pairs - one lighter pair for this purpose and one full weight pair for riding and occasionally sledding or towing. I keep shredding the light gloves i have and want to find some solid new ones for the tour and board build bit. Usually, I'll go glove-less in the bulk of the middle of the tour but have them close. Do you have any favorite gloves that you'd recommend for this purpose? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Gloves - tour and split
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 am 

I use the Petzl Cordex gloves. They are cheap, efficient and have taken on a few months of touring without any noticeable wear and tear. Like you, I like to have a pair of riding gloves and skinning gloves.

Here is a link to the Petzl site

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 am 

For the up (and sometimes for the down) I usually rock the Black Diamond Pilot glove. I'm a big fan. MEC makes a cheaper version which I also like, but I can't remember the name. Cost is $25 CAN compared to $50 CAN for the BDs.

For the down I'm using TNF Patrol glove, they are warm and have a goretex liner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:41 pm 

I've had good luck with Seirus Hyperlite gloves for an approach glove (sometimes combined with a lightweight fleece overglove if needed). I always add some Freesole/SeamSeal to the finger tips to prevent velcro from trashing them. They usually last one season of abuse for touring use and then the following year I use them for backpacking/car camping.

Then I typically add a waterproof shell glove/mitt over the above combo for riding, unlined or lined depending on the temps.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm 

Like mrash, I just got a pair of BD pilots. They seem to be warm enough for hiking and transitioning. I had started the year off with a pair of Seirus gloves (All weather http://www.rei.com/product/745947 ). They are a neoprene like glove with some extra material in the palm and thumb. However, they have not held up that great. Sticky skins and metal edges have not been too kind to them. Still usable though so I made them my back up. I also gave them a good spray down with a waterproofing (silicon) spray as they were getting a little wet by the end of the day.

So far, I usually keep the gloves that I hike in on all day. When descending, I just use them like liners for my BD Mercury mit or my TNF gloves. DB pilots also make great winter driving gloves.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 am 

My hands sweat a lot while skinning. If temperatures are lower, I have a pair of MH windstopper fleece gloves I use for skinning - they block the wind pretty well, and let the heat/sweat out, then I transition to insulated goretex gloves for the way down. On really warm days (above freezing), I use a pair of thin fleece liner gloves or nothing at all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:41 pm 

ten bucks at the hardware store gets you the rubber dipped knitted construction gloves. breathable and as long as you are moving and using your fingers my hands stay remarkably warm. the rubber grips pole handles well and i break down/set up with these glove on very cold days. two pairs of those and a pair of overpriced claustrophobic over the cuff BD gloves which make my hands sweat are what i rock. my space mitts dont even make it out of the closet anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 pm 

Inspired by Kyle's post, I dug out my belay gloves - turns out they are cut-offs :nononno: