Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never Summer 2012 split line-up
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:30 am 

Press Release
For 2011/12 we offer two models in the split board category the classic Summit Custom Split and the new SL Split.

Featuring our NS Superlight blended wood core, the new SL Split will set the bar for high-performance backcountry freestyle splitboarding. Our most extensive carbon fiber configuration and dampening system give the SL Split unmatched high speed stability, response and power. With only a slight set back the SL is more centered for aggressive riding, doing hop turns and freestyle mobility. The shape, set back and reducing materials also reduce swing weight in the air. All this combined make for a splitboard with the ability to slay the most technical lines, wind scoured faces, pow and still have a lightweight set up for the most grueling tours.

With a 1.625” set back and tapered shape and new directional Rocker/Camber profile the Summit-R Custom Split is the ultimate deep powder surfer. Extensive carbon V’s provide power and stability for mowing through chop While still giving the board a softer overall flex for adjusting to contours in the snow and a turn in soft snow like no other. Vario Power Grip sidecut makes the Summit less condition specific for excellent edge hold on hardpack. Our RC design keeps the board on top of the snow breaking new skin track, while providing less drag for traversing ridgelines. Conserving much needed energy. The Summit is a timeless shape with nimble response and legendary durability making it a solid investment for the first time splitboarder or longtime backcountry enthusiast.

Owners Tracey and Tim Canaday design both boards. Handcrafted by the Blaho bros., using the finest materials and 11 years of experience making splitboards. Each half is individually hand laid up with a full wrap steel edge and P-tex sidewall. Inserted for the Voile/Karokaram systems and touring brackets, hooks/clips installed. Loaded with tech and performance our new Carbonium top-sheet (a super burly, scratch/chip resistant top layer with a very tech carbon-fiber like look!) and 3 year warranty make the Summit Custom and SL the most desirable split’s on the market.

Price: $1299.00 w/Voile kit & Skins
$999.00 hooks, tip/tail clips only

SL Split size: 158, 161, 163X
Technical Features:
Carbonium topsheet
Heritage Carbonium Laminate Technology
Rocker/ Camber Profile
Vario Powergrip Sidecut
STS Pretensioned Fiberglass
Bi-Lite Fiberglass
NS SuperLight Wood Core
CDS Damping System
Sintered P-tex inner and outer Sidewall
Durasurf XT Sintered 5501 base
P-tex Tip and Tail Protection
Full Wrap Metal Edge

Summit Custom Split size 156, 160, 164, 169
Technical Features:
Carbonium topsheet
Rocker/Camber Profile
Extended Carbonium V Technology
Bi-Lite Fiberglass
NS Superlight Wood Core
RDS 1 Damping System
Sintered P-tex outer and inner Sidewall
Full Wrap Metal Edge

Post subject: Re: Never Summer 2012 split line-up
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:46 am 

That's awesome that they are expanding their lineup and offering more splits. I even like the lower price. But, the SL is not my first choice for a split, neither is the summit. Word on the street was that they were going to offer a Heritage and maybe a heritage X. I guess they changed their minds. :nononno:

I'm riding a legacy which I love for sidecountry and inbounds but would prefer something a little stiffer. Also, with these two options there is sill no option for the big footed riders. Something that has prevented me from buying one of their splits so far. I'm a huge NS fan and have wanted one of their splits for years but never wanted to pay the $$ for full custom.

The lower price is great and it seems that a lot of split provider will be offering more freestyle oriented boards next year which could be a great thing for those wanting to take the park to the powder. Problem is, NS has nothing in the middle. Why not a Heritage split? I'm sure you could get the Blaho custom but that'll cost time and money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:42 pm 

they did offer the heritage as a split, with a wide option as well. check out the thread dedicated to it for the eye candy. I wouldn't ride an SL but I can see how it would be more of a crowd pleaser than the heritage. I don't think most riders are aggressive enough to manage the heritage properly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:26 pm 

I was dead set on getting an SL when they appeared after SIA... but where is the 165 or 166? Even a 164 regular width? :scratch:

The Heritage or SL is the split of my dreams, but the 163X just isn't going to cut it in my opinion. Sure it has the float of a longer board, but at a waist width of 26.8 it just takes the zip out of it edge to edge.

When I contacted Vince he did say they were looking at adding some longer lengths for 2012/2013. I couldn't wait so I pulled the trigger on a Prior AMF. Guess NS will have to wait to be added to my quiver.. bummer..

Vince also mentioned they were going to begin producing the SL right away. I was going to buy one through World Boards in Bozeman, MT and he said they had an expected ship date of 3/25/2011..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:45 pm 

bcrider wrote:

Press Release
For 2011/12 we offer two models in the split board category the classic Summit Custom Split and the new SL Split.

Featuring our NS Superlight blended wood core, the new SL Split will set the bar for high-performance backcountry freestyle splitboarding. Our most extensive carbon fiber configuration and dampening system give the SL Split unmatched high speed stability, response and power. With only a slight set back the SL is more centered for aggressive riding, doing hop turns and freestyle mobility. The shape, set back and reducing materials also reduce swing weight in the air. All this combined make for a splitboard with the ability to slay the most technical lines, wind scoured faces, pow and still have a lightweight set up for the most grueling tours.

With a 1.625” set back and tapered shape and new directional Rocker/Camber profile the Summit-R Custom Split is the ultimate deep powder surfer. Extensive carbon V’s provide power and stability for mowing through chop While still giving the board a softer overall flex for adjusting to contours in the snow and a turn in soft snow like no other. Vario Power Grip sidecut makes the Summit less condition specific for excellent edge hold on hardpack. Our RC design keeps the board on top of the snow breaking new skin track, while providing less drag for traversing ridgelines. Conserving much needed energy. The Summit is a timeless shape with nimble response and legendary durability making it a solid investment for the first time splitboarder or longtime backcountry enthusiast.

Owners Tracey and Tim Canaday design both boards. Handcrafted by the Blaho bros., using the finest materials and 11 years of experience making splitboards. Each half is individually hand laid up with a full wrap steel edge and P-tex sidewall. Inserted for the Voile/Karokaram systems and touring brackets, hooks/clips installed. Loaded with tech and performance our new Carbonium top-sheet (a super burly, scratch/chip resistant top layer with a very tech carbon-fiber like look!) and 3 year warranty make the Summit Custom and SL the most desirable split’s on the market.

Price: $1299.00 w/Voile kit & Skins
$999.00 hooks, tip/tail clips only

SL Split size: 158, 161, 163X
Technical Features:
Carbonium topsheet
Heritage Carbonium Laminate Technology
Rocker/ Camber Profile
Vario Powergrip Sidecut
Bi-Lite Fiberglass
NS SuperLight Wood Core
CDS Damping System
Sintered P-tex inner and outer Sidewall
Full Wrap Metal Edge

Summit Custom Split size 156, 160, 164, 169
Technical Features:
Carbonium topsheet
Rocker/Camber Profile
Extended Carbonium V Technology
Bi-Lite Fiberglass
NS Superlight Wood Core
RDS 1 Damping System
Sintered P-tex outer and inner Sidewall
Full Wrap Metal Edge

Really?! :nononno: How long is going to take for all these splitboard manufacturers to realize that they are charging entirely way too much for their boards. Are they intentionally driving customers and other manufacturers to start building these things in China?!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm 

With NS Rep, 3year waranty, and huge following of core riders... Thier probably going to do very well and push other companies to manufacture quaility products. These CO companies have been in the game a long time and its not lightweight boards that keep em in buisness, its the bombproof construction and the quality of the ride.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 am 

When looking at the price of a product manufactured in north america I find it helps to apply one's own economic situation to it. How much do you make an hour where you work? Most of my friends are educated and make $35 to $60 bucks an hour. Do you build things? I'm a ticketed tradesman and I know I'm worth what I charge for my skills. You want me to build you a table, you can be damn sure it'll cost more than something from the IKEA catalog.

I hear the Blaho brothers were putting in around 40 hours per board for the custom splits these past few years. Building a specialty product, hmmm, would you work for less than $30 an hour? The math says your board cost $1200. Oh wait, do materials cost anything? How about the research time a company puts in to making sure the product you buy isn't piece of hyped up garbage? Seriously, if you work at burger king go out and buy yourself a chinese made snowboard. If you have skills that get you paid real money, ask yourself why the person who builds your snowboard, bike frame, or house, shouldn't make at least as much as you do?

All that said, I sure wish my boards cost less than they do...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm 

Nice! Love the new Summit topsheet. I'm curious about the different R/C profile.

IMHO, NS is worth the premium.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 am 

Don't forget that every splitboard manufacturer has to pay Voile a license fee, just to use their insert pattern. Then they have to buy the kits, parts and such from Voile too. Lot's of little added expenses that drive up the costs in splits. I expect to see a big drop once the patent expires. Neversummer's prices seem to be inline with what the costs are right now.

Of course more movement in terms of volume of sales of splits will help drive prices down too. Not so sure if I want to see that type of increase though...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:01 am 

digerati,

My Heritage split is the 163 X. It's very zippy edge to edge. So much so that I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a bit more of a pain to turn as I have been riding normal width boards for a long time now. If you have a boot size that is appropriate for a wide board, I'd go for it and not worry about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm 

I was looking at the SL, but there's something about the ride of the SL that made me look elsewhere. It's such a fun board, but the exact opposite of what I wanted out of a split. I don't think the graphics are very cool, but the Summit looks alright. They're over the top, but that's what the kids like I guess.

I bet the Summit rides really nice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 pm 

utasidian wrote:
When looking at the price of a product manufactured in north america I find it helps to apply one's own economic situation to it. How much do you make an hour where you work? Most of my friends are educated and make $35 to $60 bucks an hour. Do you build things? I'm a ticketed tradesman and I know I'm worth what I charge for my skills. You want me to build you a table, you can be damn sure it'll cost more than something from the IKEA catalog.

I hear the Blaho brothers were putting in around 40 hours per board for the custom splits these past few years. Building a specialty product, hmmm, would you work for less than $30 an hour? The math says your board cost $1200. Oh wait, do materials cost anything? How about the research time a company puts in to making sure the product you buy isn't piece of hyped up garbage? Seriously, if you work at burger king go out and buy yourself a chinese made snowboard. If you have skills that get you paid real money, ask yourself why the person who builds your snowboard, bike frame, or house, shouldn't make at least as much as you do?

All that said, I sure wish my boards cost less than they do...

Amen. Well said.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
digerati,

My Heritage split is the 163 X. It's very zippy edge to edge. So much so that I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a bit more of a pain to turn as I have been riding normal width boards for a long time now. If you have a boot size that is appropriate for a wide board, I'd go for it and not worry about it.

That's just it, I only have a 10.5 boot so I don't really require a wide. Especially a 26.8 waist width. The smaller sidecut with a 26.8 waist width would probably zip around nicely, but I am 6' 2" and need a wiiide stance width to accommodate my lank. Once I spread those binders out and get them close to the tip and tail, boards seem to act even slower edge to edge.

Thanks so much for the heads up though! Great to get some info before pulling a $1000 trigger.