Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Karakoram?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakoram?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:18 pm 

Borneo wrote:
Show went really well.

The new version I believe is still called the Superlight and has a carbon fiber highback along with other weight reducing features. It's going to be an option along with the "standard" Split30 version.

Hopefully they'll offer an upgrade package for those who supported them in their first year, those new ones look fan-friggen-tastic.

By any chance did they show the crampons?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:41 pm 

I believe that has been discussed.

I don't think so. (Not dialed perfect yet...?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 pm 

I’ve had the Karakoram set up for a while, and although I generally like them, something about my split setup always felt a bit off in the ride mode and I always felt strangely unbalanced and klutzy in lower speed/tight powder situations. I could never ride pow like I do on my normal setup. I didn’t know if it was the board, bindings, weight of the setup, wearing a backpack, or some hidden problem with the stance.

Anyways, I finally realized that even at minimum forward lean, the highback was too far forward for my forward leg, which created problems for me in powder, although it felt good on hardpack. I’ve been using less and less forward lean almost every year—partly because I’m riding better snow. Also, the highbacks sit almost an inch higher on my boot than my normal Burton Co2s. I put a set of old Ride highbacks on the Karakorams—these are slightly lower (same height as the Co2s), allow less forward lean, and also are flatter with less aggressive “calf cupping” shape so it gives more lateral mobility. These fit perfectly, using the extra hole already drilled in the binding.

I then rode my split setup on my normal inbounds terrain on a powder day with no backpack. Wow…the change was massive, and I now feel 100% comfortable on this gear and can ride just as well on it as my normal setup. This really surprised me. I had been skeptical of claims that the gear was just as good as solid setups based on my past experiences, but sometimes it’s hard to make great comparisons in the backcountry because there is limited vertical to test, the terrain is different, you’re tired, wearing a full pack, etc.

But riding this on a good inbounds day with no backpack really converted me. The extra weight isn’t even that noticeable, except for boot packing. Basically, if I was forced to ride my split setup all year inbounds, it wouldn’t be a real compromise for me. Anyways, with this highback mod, I can now give the Karakoram setup and the Jones solution my highest recommendation.

Although this is a great binding system, it’s hard to have every part of it be perfect for every rider, so I really think it’s worth customizing if it feels different than your normal bindings. Personally, riding with a backpack still throws me off sometimes, but now I know that’s the only issue, and there’s nothing wrong with what’s under my feet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm 

I just saw a pic of their new superlights. They do looks amazing. They probably won't be available for a few months still I'd imagine and I hope they offer some type of upgrade package as well so you wouldn't have to buy a whole new set, again (we all know they aren't cheap!!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am 

Anyone have a link to photos of the superlights?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 pm 

phreadi wrote:
Anyone have a link to photos of the superlights?

I think I saw them on the karakoram facebook page

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:17 pm 

I was up at the Vertfest at Alpental outside Seattle yesterday and saw a Karakoram demo. The system is impressive. All pieces appeared well-machined, and everything was nicer in person than in the pictures on the website, which appear dated. The hinge mechanism at the toe is very burly and has a positive fit, and the rest of the binding has a three-point locking mechanism towards the heel. The pair I saw had a sizable metal lock that folds down over the locking lever that I didn't see in the photos. When the binding locks down to the board, it pulls it together to some extent, but with its broad footprint, its main effect is to make the board very rigid torsionally. The binding itself is a solid unit and the straps seem strong and comfy, and it was plenty wide for my size 12 boots. Between the base and the upper binding, there should be no more binding-to-board flexing than on a regular board, a drawback with the puck system. The hooks Karakoram has devised to replace the standard Chinese hooks are no-brainers and strongly pull the board halves together. They fit on the standard screw pattern, so you can retro-fit your present board for $50. If you have a DIY board, this seems to me like a must-have upgrade; if you have factory inside edges, hopefully your clips were installed to make the fit snug. The tip clips seemed to me to be much more finished than the ones on the website. I did strap my boot into the binding and was impressed with the side/side rigidity in touring mode.

I was told that crampons are in the works, as is the SL (SuperLight) unit that appears to have a carbon fiber highback and some titanium parts. The Split30 binding is 875g each, while the SL is 695g. That's a 360g savings total, which is about 12oz. I have no idea of the cost.

All in all, the Karakoram system is the next-generation splitboard hardware system, IMHO. While the Sparks system is an improvement on the existing Voile hardware, the Karakoram system is a total revamp. At $600, it sounds like a big chunk, but if you consider paying $300 for Sparks bindings, $80 for the LT, $50 for the Karakoram hooks, and add in tax and shipping, you're at about $450-500, so the cost for the entire Karakoram system isn't that much more. Of course, going the Sparks route allows one to upgrade gradually vs. dropping $600 at once.

I want to add that these are my opinions only, I am not a dealer, have no affiliation or vested interest in Karakoram, and have not received any renumeration for what I've said (damn - a pair of hooks would have been nice!).

Allan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 pm 

Thanks for the review Allan! I enjoyed your descriptions. Its always super interesting to hear what other people's perspective are on the system. We all have our own experiences and lenses that we look through.

Good man posting the disclaimer at the end. We wouldn't want anybody posting stoke and then having everybody else thinking we're getting paid big bucks! :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 am 

Have there been any reports this season of Karakoram parts breaking?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm 

Taylor wrote:

I have no idea, but having seen them, I have a hard time imagining that happening unless it's just a ladder strap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm 

amkaplan wrote:
Taylor wrote:

I have no idea, but having seen them, I have a hard time imagining that happening unless it's just a ladder strap.

I've broken ladders and buckles, but those aren't Karakoram products. I had a toe ratchet snap off while I was on a 50 degree glacier above a 500 foot cliff, and that sucked pretty good... I just had to leave it cranked as it was until I was off the line. I let them know about this though and I think they are going with different ratchets in the future.

I certainly don't take very good care of my splitboard, and they are looking pretty bashed up and scratched. I think I'm at 70 something days on Karakoram binders total, and no catastrophic failures yet to report.

Oh, do remember to locktight your screws though. I still haven't done that and sometimes find my strap screws wiggling loose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:14 pm 

russman wrote:
Oh, do remember to locktight your screws though. I still haven't done that and sometimes find my strap screws wiggling loose.
+1 on that Russ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:22 pm 

"Have there been any reports this season of Karakoram parts breaking?"

My partner had a failure of his touring brackets, and another partner had some kind of other failure, which ended his day. The original heel lifters did not work, but my understanding is that they have been re-designed since then.

So far failure reports seem to be about normal for a new product, and Karakoram seems to have been pretty good about getting out replacements.
Have they gotten crampons out yet?

I think they are going the right way with the superlight option-looking at how many stainless parts there are which could be titanium (almost half the weight of stainless at the same strength). I would probably purchase the clips for my board setup (hardboots) if they were titanium and equal or less weight than the Voile chinese clips.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next