Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thirty Two Boots???
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:13 pm 

Has anyone tried out a pair of Thirty Two Brand boots?
I'm looking for a good splitboard & All Mountain type boot.

I was considering the Salomon Malamute but
my local dealer is having a big sale on 2010/2011
and most of it is Thirty Two brand

Just curious

C

Post subject: Re: Thirty Two Boots???
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 pm 

Love ThirtyTwo. Owned 3 pairs, only boots I've worn in the past 7 years.

The ThirtyTwo Prime looks awesome.

I am currently riding a pair of thirtytwo ultralights. I babied them at first, but they have had hundreds of miles on them and lots of shred days now. They are getting squishy but are still quite solid still. I am really surprised and thought they would pack out much more quickly..

This thread has a lot of good info..

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9316

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 am 

had the 32 lashed.. really lightweight boot. Had it 3 seasons, really fell apart season 3 but I am brutal on my gear. IMO.. the light weight of that model made it uncomfortable for the long haul. Seems that the cush factor was subbed out for weight savings. I was happy with that boot when I had it, then I got the Ions and they blew me away. Now their soft as hell and I have a pair of SLXs to break in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:17 pm 

Im probably going to try to locate a pair of 32 boots for next season, my K2s are tired. Hoping for either the Primes or TM-TWO. Good luck finding my size though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:54 am 

My buddy and i have been using the 32 primes for splitting the last couple years. My size 10's weight in at 1200g. Light but not super light. The higher end 32's get really nice intuition style liner but the lower priced ones get a flimsy thin liner, they rate them level 1 - 4, i'd avoid boots with level 1 or 2.

Not overly impressed with the durability, My first pair made it a year, then returned it on warranty (which was easy to deal straight with 32) Next pair lasted three years, at the end of year two lace loops broke and minor wear on the outer boot. By year three they fell apart. They lived a hard life of 50+ resort days a year with a good amount of booting around, plus 20 or so split outings.

My buddy has last years and they have a lace loop that attaches to the tounge that ripped off both boots at the beginning of this year, they are still completely usable. He contacted 32 and will get new boots on warranty when next years come out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:29 pm 

Guys
I had a pair of 32 TM-2 that were great, they have intuition liners which made them super nice on the feet and had laces. Only negative was they were bulky.
Have moved to Salomon Malautes for soft boot option.
If you can get them with the liners and your bindings fit, go for it

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am 

Hi chazsundance,
I have experienced many brands but thirty two brand boots are one of the toughest boots I ever had.
I love thirty two brand boots and as they are on sale also so I don't think you should miss this golden chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:00 am 

My son has 32 boas and the sole peeled off in less that one season, also had significant break down on the uppers, far more and faster damage than any boat he'd used previously.

He's now in a pair of Burton Imperials, real nice boots, holding up well and he likes how they ride.

I tried the Driver X, T1, and Malamute this past spring and found the T1 to be the stiffest, followed the Malamute and the Driver X. The Driver had the best fit for me and teh flex flet nicer than the rest. The T1 were very stiff and would need some break in. The Malamute was okay, but not as comfortabel as the Driver X.

If you want stiff and comfort, I'm not sure that a super stiff soft boot is the answer, which is why I went to a hard boot. I can get a much more consistent flex and a better fit with a hard boot, also more durability. he only problem is the hardboots require a plate binding...

BTW, I picked up two pairs of Nidecker Freecarve bindings, all nylon composite construction, not any heavier than a metal plated soft boot binding, woudl work great for splitting which is where one set is going :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:05 pm 

I've had a couple pairs of the tm-2 over the last few seasons and have been somewhat happy with them. I don't really use them on the ski hill and I'm usually pretty easy on gear so they have held up decently. You'd be hard pressed to find anything lighter, the weight savings are noticeable. Lightweight means not as durable. I'm a bit biassed toward the thirty two's because they have the best traction patterns and a soft sole which helps with binding free riding. Beware of hard corners as standing on one for an extended period of time can crush out and flatten the lugs on the sole (standing on snowmobile).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 am 

All currently made soft snowboard boots are made in rapid production cheap chinese factories. When I can have a soft boot that was made in Italy and that I can climb vertical ice in, I'll be stoked! Until then, hardboot riding is still stiff and non-steezy, and BGnight will still proceed to kill it in crappy boy-toy softboots!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:23 am 

I have a pair of the lace type, don't remember the model, the are Stiff in the upper which I like, I get a lot if heel slop and am looking to replace them after 2 seasons of riding. The sole of the boot is huge so I can't use crampons with them. Decent boot for the price point.

I'm looking toward hard boots myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:28 pm 

has anyone tried the thirtytwo sonics? I found a pair my size and am pretty curious...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:45 pm 

haven't tried the sonics, but I've put 2 seasons (dividing the time with drivers) on the Thirty-Two TM2's that I found at a garage sale for $68 - NEW. Just happened to be my size. Serendipity I say. Love 'em. They are much softer than my driver x's but there are days I definitely prefer a softer boot... I feel like I can take bigger steps and tour longer without any feet issues (had plantar fasciitis) just because they are SO comfortable and the superfeet insert fit nicely inside the liners.

Surpisingly little wear on the soles, no tearing away, considering the use. But I did bust a lace and have had tearing on all 4 sides at the typical forward lean spot(see pic). Now good for noboarding! But overall an absolutely great boot (and the top strap is 100x's better than my drivers) - I'd buy them again.