Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Climbing Skins Direct- twin tips
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:08 am 

Anyone tried the twin tip set-up from climbingskinsdirect.com? I ordered a set, with their splitboard kit, and am trying to figure out the best way to cut the skins (to attach the tip / tail pieces).

I had good luck dealing with the company, getting answers to my questions, until the skins arrived. They don't have a template or anything for their splitboard kit designed, so I asked a few questions before cutting them and was told someone would get back to me. The last message I've had was a week ago, and they haven't responded since.

The skins themselves look good, along with the attachments, and I'm curious to try them out on some longer multi-day stuff.

Post subject: Re: Climbing Skins Direct- twin tips
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:17 pm 

largeunb - timely post. I'm working on the same project right now and could use some help, too.

I received some skins from climbingskinsdirect this week, and Lauren from the company has answered a couple of my emails promptly, but I'm still scratching my head a bit about how best to cut them. I'm going to post a couple of pics and if anyone out there has any experience and advice, it would be greatly appreciated (probably by at least a few of us). Thanks in advance!

So, I started with this template from climbingskinsdirect that was made for skis and was clearly not going to cut it for a splitty.

So, I improvised making a template of my own...though it's a bit tricky due to the angle of the hooks. I'm worried that I won't have enough material folded over to have a bombproof hold. Any thoughts? (the pic below is the underside of the skin--glue is black, blue is the skin, fyi)

Here is how it looks so far, roughly. Yes, I know there is more trimming to do, but I wanted to get some feedback before I flush $140 down the drain by cutting them incorrectly. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 am 

Looks like you got the hang of it. I think you got enough material folded over to hold. Throw some bomber epoxy in there if your afraid the skin glue won't be enough. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm 

How about a couple stitches with needle and thread?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm 

Nice work G-man, thanks for the pics. That's pretty much what I had in mind, but was also worried about there being enough overlap to hold the clips. The epoxy or stiches are a good idea (thanks guys), might ensure they stay put.

Lauren was the person I was getting help from, and she was good about getting back to me, but she was passing my questions on to someone else. I sent another message this morning, with a link to this thread, to see if I get any response. Hopefully their split set-up works out, it's nice to finally have some other skin options..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 pm 

Epoxy is a bad idea ( :twocents: ) because it wont bond properly to the materials. Stick with stitches or rivets if you want to permanently attach it. Also they work fine I have rocked my for 2 season so far...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:34 pm 

They'll hold just fine. But if you are really concerned, put a couple of rivets in em.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 am 

I've been looking at that website for awhile now, hoping I can find a cheaper alternative to the Volie skins, but I've never seen any mention of a splitboard kit. What exactly do you guys mean by that? If they don't have a template what's special about it, wider clips? I know there widest is 70mm and I think voile does 90mm. Has that been a problem for anyone?

Also, the twin ski setup has the all metal clips, how does that compare to the stretchers?

What setup are you rocking there Pedro? Do you have a secured tail? Stretchers?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 am 

Just specify that you want the splitboard kit when you order. The splitboard kit comes with fixed metal clips for one end and stretchers for the other. You could easily just cut them straight across if you didn't want a secured tail. Btw, the clips fit perfectly on my Solution without having to bend them.

The only trick is that there is no template for cutting the tips, so you will have a little bit of an arts and crafts project to figure out exactly how to cut them.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 pm 

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10290
:drinks: