Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solution size
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:01 pm 

Hi,
I want a Solution
I weigh 70kg 1.80m high and have 45 shoe (12).
Should I take a wide model?
I skepticism because I do not weigh much.
...If I must take a wide model it is usually the longest dimensions.
I board on the steep slopes and coloirs in the Alps.
Or should I waiting when the Solution come in other sizes?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Solution size
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:49 pm 

You will want the 168 W Solution. Do not worry about it being too long or too stiff (unless you are an intermediate rider in skill, I am guessing not since you ride the steeps of the Alps). The Solutions are not super stiff, and the 168 has a short contact length (long tip and tail). With a 12 boot you will need the extra width of the 168, you definately do not want to have boot out problems riding steep exposed terrain!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm 

The 168 is a LOT of board....

Wait till the 164W comes out. You might not have any choice anyway, seeing as there simply are no more boards left...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm 

There is one shop I know where I can get a 168 w.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:54 am 

caveman wrote:
Should I take a wide model?
Have you ever been snowboarding before?

No offense -- but with that shoe size you will suffer from severe toe/heel drag on any non-wide board. (which can even be dangerous in steep couloirs)

The 168W is not very wide anyway, unfortunately. (262mm waist)

I've got size 12 boots as well and purchased a 270mm wide Venture Zephyr to get away from toe/heel drag.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:11 am 

Caveman: at 70 Kg you will be fine with the 168 W. Do not worry! You ride in truly BIG mountains, and this is not even a "longboard" per se. The 26.2 waist will be adequate to avoid boot out with a size 12 boot, but make sure you use some short sole length boots to really be sure. As noted above, boot out can be very dangerous in steep exposed terrain.
Short sole length boots: Salomon F-24 and F-22, these lose about a full size in sole length compared to most boots.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:33 pm 

Thanks for the replies.
I snowboard for 17 years. But never with a split board. I will first get new shoes and then see if the solution is good for my wide feet. Many options remain or not, I'm most bothering is the length of the board is not too stiff compared to my weight.
Which board would be suitable for me?

Thanks allot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm 

Personally, unless you really want a long board, I'd stay away from the 168. At 70kg (154lbs), you're a light guy, and the extra length may make more effort that you want to deal with, although the rockering they incorporate may help with maneuvering that long a board. I would try getting in touch with Jones to confirm this, but that's my initial thought. Consider as well what type of riding you like - if you're talking trees and couloirs, you may prefer the shorter board for maneuverability. What is your normal length? I'd try demoing any 168 and see if you like that length or hate it. It's surprising to me that Jones doesn't make its boards wider in general for floatation. I wear a 12 boot as well, and a 26cm waist does well for me to avoid drag; 25.4cm may be too narrow, especially on steeps.

Jones boards are difficult to find, so you may want to consider a different one. I would NOT buy the longer 168 simply to get the width you want. I demoed a lot of boards and found Priors to be the best of the ones I rode, and highly recommend them. I own four of them, all 165s with a 26cm waist, and they are great. If Jones is going to come out with a 164W, wait for that. Ask. Another consideration is to get a custom one, but that will cost a bunch more money.

Since you've never owned a splitboard before, you may want to consider getting a used one that is close to what you're looking for, just to try it out. You can always sell it if you want to continue splitting, and then invest in a new board that's exactly what you want. That's what I've done, and for the time being, I spent less than half the money on a great board, and I can upgrade later if I really want to. I bet that Prior has some splitboards in its demo fleet, and you might call them and see if they are selling them at the end of the season. The same with Venture.

The bottom line is that if you're going to spend over US$1000 on a snowboard, get the right one for you and your riding, and don't base your decision on the brand name or buy something that doesn't fit in one dimension just to get another dimension right. If you're not happy in the end, you will be VERY unhappy.

Good luck.

Allan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:47 pm 

the 168W rides a lot shorter than any other 168 I've been on- it has the same running length as the 164, just with extra width and an extra 4cm of nose and tail. it handles great in the trees, and the extra board gives it fantastic float. it's one of the most fun boards I've ridden, up there with a 160 cambered fish.... but I'm a lot of kgs. if they split the 163W and use the same dimensions, it'll have the same running length as the 161- both of which is more for your weight range. @ 70kgs, you're at the very bottom of the recommended range for the 168W, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still rode well for you.

I'm pretty sure jones / prior / venture don't have any demos in the alps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 pm 

Kings-thanks for putting an actual riding perspective to this, your experience mimics my thoughts based on the board specs (short contact length, and moderate flex on Jones boards).
Cave, as long as you are a skilled rider (with 17 years I am assured that you are), and considering that you are generally riding advanced terrain (where a relatively stiff board is an asset), you are going to be fine on the 168 W-just go for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 am 

kings run east wrote:
I'm pretty sure jones / prior / venture don't have any demos in the alps.
There are possiblities to demoride Voilé, Venture, Prior and LTB ( http://biwakscharte.de/Skitouren-Winter ... :3172.html ), however I haven't found any shop that offers Jones yet.