Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on wide boards for DIY
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 am 

I searched for some general opinions on wide board sin the forum but didn't find too much that wasn't uber specific. I wear a size 11 street shoe, wear a 10.5 snowboard boot (32 Ultralight) and have no problem with toe/heel drag on my solid. I am 5'10" and 155lbs. I'm fittin' to split a board and notice that there are a few wide boards that are noticeably cheaper than the regs. I've never ridden a wide board but am considering getting a wide to split. I'm mostly concerned with pow performance, if it's not powder I'm content with either sacrificing some performance or using slowshoes and a solid.

What are your opinions on wide boards for guys who aren't giant?

What would be the difference say between me and my 10.5 boots on a wide and someone with a 9 boot on a regular?

Right now I guess I have a little bit of a pro/con debate in my head over this with the following pros/cons:

Pros - More float, cheaper, more stability?
Cons - Edge to edge slowness, no ski crampons, less leverage.

Am I missing anything?

Post subject: Re: Opinions on wide boards for DIY
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:35 am 

I have 10.5 size boots too. I switched to wide boards a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Yes it is a little slower edge to edge but I like that actually as too many boards have too much sidecut to begin with for my preference.

However in powder I really don't think that much heel or two drag matters unless maybe if there is a little layer of crust or something then that heel and toe drag can be really crappy.

That all said though I am 6' and about 200 lbs so I can power a good deal of board relatively easily. My Voile Mojo 166 has a waist width of 25.6 cm, I believe, and it's a little too narrow for me still. My Jones Flagship 163W at 26.2 cm is perfect with a moderate front angle of around +20 degrees and a rear of +8 or so.

That all said, in real powder it's all pretty irrelevant in my opinion. If anything I think a wide board in the pow would give a more surfy feel. Lastly demo a wide in variable conditions and see what you think. We're all so different, physiologically and riding style so that will be a real key piece of info to have.

Hope this long post helps!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 pm 

It should work well for you drpw,

I am in no way a giant, size 10 snowboard boot but pushing it to make 60kg in body weight (sorry for the metric weight). I'm also 5'10".

I chopped a 2004 Burton Canyon a few years ago that was really slow edge to edge on hardpack and probably too wide for me as a solid.

When I was chopping it I used a fairly thick handsaw so it would lose some meat and hacksaw for edges and inserts. When sanding I also made sure I sanded off a little extra meat off the chopped edges while still keeping it straight of course (you'll also gain a little width when you seal the edges but hardly noticable).

This is easily my favourite splitter and probably my favourite board.

I have no problem fitting Voile crampons but I haven't tried Sparks. Seeing as though your feet are a little bigger than mine you should be right to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:48 am 

I didn't even think about that. The kerf probably takes off a third of the extra centimeter of the wide board huh? Maybe more if I'm not worrying about the thinnest blade possible. Thanks for the enlightenment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:45 pm 

Yeah I think it was 3.5 mms worth of width that I lost...perfect.