Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for T-Nuts but I can't find
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:56 pm 

Hi,

Quick question

I seriously scoured google and can only find some t-nuts made by some company called peternuts or peterbolt or some crap. they look brass. Even Fastenal doesn't have any metric t-nuts.

Could someone help and point me a link to get some snowboard t-nuts?

Thanks
David

Post subject: Re: Looking for T-Nuts but I can't find
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:19 pm 

You should be able to get them from anyone who stocks Voile hardware, or direct from Voile at <http://thurly.net/0rbq>.

Allan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:28 pm 

Quote:
You should be able to get them from anyone who stocks Voile hardware, or direct from Voile at <http://thurly.net/0rbq>.

ahh sorry I should have been more specific.

I actually have some of the voile type - the kind they supply with the split kit to mount your binding to the aluminum slider track. The problem is the base of the voile type is oblong, not a round shape.

I'm looking for T-Nuts to install into the board after I saw her in half so I can have adjustable pucks. I just can't find the T-nuts! This way I can have a few splits around but avoid the expense of buying hardware for each board. I could transfer the ski mount and the pucks from board to board. I would make the chinese hooks myself from some aluminum angle.

The oblong voile t-nuts won't work really well for this because
1) they're oblong and the forstener bit will make a round inset
2) they don't have any little spikes on them to dig into the base

thanks guys/gals :thumpsup:

[The closest I've gotten is an offer from someone in Canada to buy some at their local hardware shop and mail to me. Would be nice to find a source stateside.]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:48 pm 

Did you try Google? Lots of sources...

http://tinyurl.com/4jzvkrp

Allan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 pm 

^^L333tist pos

http://boardcrafter.com/component/page, ... /Itemid,1/

Those come in various heights but the dont have the little prongs. Should i worry about them spinning?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:33 pm 

Well, you certainly don't want them spinning. The ones that guy sells can't spin because of the hex base. You can still get in touch with Voile and get them there. If you order them from somewhere else, definitely make sure they're the right height.

Allan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am 

The thing is I don't have a milling machine to cut a hex shape into the board, I just have a forstener (sp?) bit on a drill press, so I can only cut round holes. I.E. pretty sure the hex would eventually spin around, or at best held down by some epoxy - which I wouldn't trust.

Those would be perfect if they had the little prongs. Nice to be able to order in various heights, and stainless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 am 

It sounds like your best bet in that case is just to call Voile and order a handful. I'm sure they will oblige.

Allan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm 

I got some from a friend that have the little prongs. He says the hexstyle doesnt spin out either. Ill do one boarrd with hex and another prong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53 pm 

www.mcmaster.com has everything you could possibly image. I hunted and hunted for local shops but they were all either too long or non-metric. Mcmaster has many variations to choose from. I used them and they work great. I even turned my DIY into a Universal stance by adding extra t-nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 pm 

Check Ace Hardware. I use M6 hardware for mine. That way if I am in a fix for bolts, I am not looking for an obscure size. I can go to any snowboard shop and buy standard hardware, which is M6.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:54 pm 

dimension4 wrote:
Quote:

ahh sorry I should have been more specific.

I actually have some of the voile type - the kind they supply with the split kit to mount your binding to the aluminum slider track. The problem is the base of the voile type is oblong, not a round shape.]

There's a badass hardware store in Bellingham that had them. But if you have no such hardware store, I'd get them from Voile direct. They have the oblong ones you're talking about, but they should have regular toothed round t-nuts with a 3/4" backwasher because the new kits come with these now. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 pm 

Quote:
www.mcmaster.com has everything you could possibly image. I hunted and hunted for local shops but they were all either too long or non-metric. Mcmaster has many variations to choose from. I used them and they work great. I even turned my DIY into a Universal stance by adding extra t-nuts.

ahhh mcmaster why didn't I think of that? I have 2 dozen on order to my local ace hardware, think I'll get the 50 pack from mcmaster too.