Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big mountain chargers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:22 am 

Ive got good and bad news for you: I found the Apo Apocalypse, but not in the US, which means you will have to pay for the customs to get it in to the US. Here it is http://www.blue-tomato.com/en/Freestyle ... =300260146

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 pm 

The best big mountain board I have ever ridden is the Venture Zephyr, hands down,Kills everything else! Get on one, and let your legs limit your line choice, not your board!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:05 pm 

I have to say I think it is crazy that people still ride these super long boards. With the rocker and tapered sidecut technology out there it pretty much eliminates the need for these long heavy boards even for big lines. I remember the days of riding a 168 and am happy to see those days gone. I guess I should add that I'm riding the NS Premier 161 on my big mountain days and loving it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm 

parmport wrote:
I have to say I think it is crazy that people still ride these super long boards. With the rocker and tapered sidecut technology out there it pretty much eliminates the need for these long heavy boards even for big lines. I remember the days of riding a 168 and am happy to see those days gone. I guess I should add that I'm riding the NS Premier 161 on my big mountain days and loving it.
Gee thanks for the diagnosis doc. How did I ever stray so wrong, 168=long hahahahahahahaha :lol:
http://shop.boheme.fr/snowboards/19-swallow.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 am 

more crazy than a cafeteria tray, completely crazy, wouldn't have it any other way :thumpsup: . . . and in the Wasatch too :scratch:

a 168 is so not a big board

http://blog.flowandsoul.be/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/curren_slabbert.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm 

parmport wrote:

I guess this depends on how tall/heavy you are. Some of these shorter board are too soft for taller/bigger riders. But its all personal preference. I prefer a bit longer. I've even gone over the handlebars on my 168 cause the nose is too soft. (6'3" 185 lbf)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 am 

I remember back when I first started snowboarding I didn't think a 168 was a big board. Things have just changed. Rusty and Scooby, you guys should check out some of the new technology. It is kind of like the big wave surfers used to use those monster boards to paddle into the big waves, but with the tow-in surfing they were able to shorten up their boards quite a bit. By your posts on this thread, I could see how your attitude and stubbornness might keep you from doing so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 am 

Pamport,
I think that you should check out some of the new longboards available today as they incorporate all of the same things the shorter boards do. I have ridden many of the new shapes from Jones, Rossi, Prior, Lib Tech and Never Summer and while the new tech has made them better at riding deep powder and given increased performance, there is simply no replacement for displacement as I have yet to find a 160-175 from any manufacturer that performes like my Tanker 200s or like a winterstick swallowtail.
With that said, longboarding (much like swallowtails) is a very niche market with a cult like following and those that ride them swear by them, but it is such a small segment of the overall market and the industry ultimately is about making a profit so you do not see many longboards out there. Also, many of these "new" technologies (i.e. rocker and tapered shapes) are not new at all and have been around the industry since the beginning of snowboarding but are just being applied differently now. Case in point is camrock/c2 style rocker was pushed by Inca snowboards throughout the 90's but was called dual camber. So if you want to ride a shorter board, that is fine, but don't criticize others for enjoying a different style of riding. In the end you have to find what works best for you and screw what anybody else thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am 

Good to see the boheme name around again.

I'm ambivalent about long/short, and I don't know which way I'll go with my next board, but I would LOVE a go on that 225 swallow on a good day somewhere alpine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:19 pm 

All other arguments aside, one word... SPEED!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:51 pm 

Did someone say SPEED????
Palmer Boarder-X 164 Titanium w/ Graphite base 11m sidecut
This 164 (measures more like a 166, but you know the marketing folks) has more effective edge than most 175cm+ boards and with the graphite race base (scratches very easy) this board simply cooks on smooth slopes. Kind of a canoe in pow, and a tuning fork in the chop, but if you have it on the right day on the right hill... look the f**k out!!!!
And of course you know I'm riding it in soft boots & low-backs....

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm 

Big swally riding, aka Winterstick's swally 184, which takes the ideas of taper and rocker to the extreme (cause its where they both started) is almost another sport. If you haven't ridden one in deep stuff, its, just, :bow: Ok, to try to get the point across...

Take a 155 with traditional camber, make the nose 30cm longer and rockered, imagine a surfboard nose. then add ~5cm to the nose width at the contact point (anything else with a nose that wide? not even close.) and give the tail almost 10cm 10 CENTIMETERS of taper and also slice out the middle third.

All this for, wait for it... Imagine not having to be in the back seat for pow anymore? getting sore in BOTH legs on a blower day. Leaning on the downhill leg to start the biggest roostered turn ya eva laid eyes on! :drool: and popping out and diving into the next one with as much punch as you can muster cause you KNOW its not gonna sink and send you over the top.

"ooh, but the suck in trees /tight turns though" BS. if your nose isn't sinking, your weight is off your back foot and actually more centered in the board, letting you swivel the back foot to a level impossible to get with traditional shapes, rocker or no. And plus you don't have to worry half as much about burying the nose under a log. Add to this the vastly diminished prospect of submarineing to a stop on the tweener flatter sections...

"ooh but it won't do icy steep crappy snow" Nevermind that its wrong... Why do you wanna ride there? Besides it eats death biscuits for breakfast.

Sorry, im not trying to sell them, really, but... really. :shock:

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 pm 

Dendro: I am with ya on big swallowtails for the real blower pow days, and agree that a board like this (and many longer boards) can be turned quickly in the trees. What some people fail to understand is that a board with more surface area keeps one closer to the surface when it is really deep; when the board is closer to the surface, it is much easier to turn quickly.
In any case, a big swallow is still a specialized ride, which, depending on location and season, may only see a few days of action a year. Of course those days will often be the best days of the year as well!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/