Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: anyone used these G3 tail clips?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 am 

Powder_Rider wrote:
First, take the G3 clip and put over your splitboard tail. Aligned the G3 clip straight with the board. Note or mark the center of the G3 clip, Next cut the notch for the tail off-center,about 1/3 off-center from the inside "straight" edge of the splitboard, which should align with the mark you made in the previous step.

See: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30371&id=100001424661822&l=2e4a09a523

Assemble the tail for the skin as normal and attach the G3 clip as per instructions.

Also, try facing the rivets away from the base for a cleaner skin contact with with the board. The rivet-dimples pull the skin away from base a little. but it is only a minor issue.

Just wanted to reiterate that this works very well, just got mine setup last night. I used the orange black diamond straps and they lock into the G3 twin tip connector perfectly. Thanks!

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/sts-kit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 am 

I set mine at more of an angle so that you dont get the slight kink that you have in your rubber tail. but works fantastic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 am 

Seems to work great, very easy modification

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:42 pm 

did my tail clips today, used pop rivets instead of the ones provided, turned out pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 pm 

I said it worked great, let me rephrase that. I am completely sold, I do not think I would own a pair of skins without these now. Its crazy that this is not standard, if your think about doing this do it, its easy and well worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm 

I am going to sound pretty stupid for asking this but my rivets do not have backs to fasten it. I am assuming I just do not know what to do. My G3 tail kit did not come with instructions just in a plastic bag. Any tips or anything for attaching rivets?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:56 am 

the rivets that come with the BD STS kit is just hammer rivets, I used pop rivets on my setup though

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:00 pm 

What might not be clear is that you have to cut a slot in the skin. So that the rivets provided will fit into the other plate provided, Where the tail is placed in the slot, sandwiched into the slot with the to plates that rivet into the skin. It helps to mark the slot and holes from the plate, cut the slot and drill out the holes.

Black Diamond has better instructions at http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/uploads/black-diamond/files/MM5828_E_Skin_Accessories%20IS%20WEB.pdf.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 am 

Ok, to clarify, buy the BD STS tail kit as well as the G3 Twin tip connectors in order to mod the Voile Tractor skins? Thanks

Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 am 

I bought the G3 tail kit, but yes you will need to buy the twin tip connector and a tail kit for the setup to work.

VT Rider wrote:
Ok, to clarify, buy the BD STS tail kit as well as the G3 Twin tip connectors in order to mod the Voile Tractor skins? Thanks

Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 pm 

Just sharing my process of using the G3 tail clips and the twin tip connectors.

This is how I mounted the G3 tail clips and twin tip connectors to my Voile Tractor Skins.

You'll have to purchase both the:
- G3 Tail Clip kit (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Snowsport ... or-kit.jsp)
- G3 Twin tip connector (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Snowsport ... ectors.jsp)

I first had my Voile Tractor skins cut to the length of the board.
Then I set up the tail strap (without the tail clip) with the twin tip connector. I allowed 3 holes of wiggle room on the strap so that I can shorten the strap should the skins stretch over time.

I then used a bowl to draw out an arc for the end of the skin. I'm abit OCD with this and would rather have a nice radius than a blunt straight cut.

I then placed the skin/strap plate on the skin to determine where to place holes into the skin for the rivets

Once I figured out the placement of the skin/strap plate, I mark the holes.

Then I cut the skin to length and drill out the holes where the rivets will be going through.

I then place the skin/strap plate on the skin to trace out the cut out for the strap. If you don't do this and try to sandwich the strap with the plate and the skin it won't hold the strap securely.

Next I trace out the strap so I can cut out the unnecessary piece that will get in the way of sandwiching the plates and strap together. Note that I placed the rivets in to see what gets in the way and how close I'm cutting to them.

Cut out the traced area.

Double checking the plate location.

Double checking how the strap fits to the cutout on the skin
[url=http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/drysuit1/?action=view&current=IMG_20120303_110744.jpg]
Image[/url]

Double checking strap, rivet, and plate on skin. I've placed the head of the rivet on the backside of the skin to contact the surface of the splitboard because it's smoother.

Next, find a metal surface to back up against the heads of the rivets. I tried a wooden block but it wasn't hard enough to keep the rivet head from sinking into the wood. I ended up using a cast iron frying pan.

Sandwich the strap with the plates and insert the rivets into the holes if you haven't done so.
Hammer the non-head end of the the rivet till it's flat.

Clean everything up and now you're good to go!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 am 

^^^Excellent first post. Voile straps can be modified to work with this setup if you need longer tail straps. My skins are trimmed for a 163 but I needed the straps to fit longer decks and the stock straps from BD didn't reach. Yet another use for Voile straps: