Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any OTHER reviews / experience with the Burton Freebird?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm 

I have read Kyle Miller's review of the new Burton split, but have seen very little other real world info on the board...seems like it doesn't even exist (on the interwebs anyway), anybody got any ideas / photos / experience with The Freebird ?

Thanks,

GW.

Post subject: Re: Any OTHER reviews / experience with the Burton Freebird?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:21 pm 

I will bring the board up to the Canuck Splitfest for peeps to try out if anyone is interested.

Post subject: Burton Freebird is shipping, and can be found in shops....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 pm 

OK. Just received the 158 Freebird. Had it on BO over at Mountain Gear (they have like 12 on order, and I was #3 on placing an order in early Jan). Anways they pushed their date out 1 wk, then another, then another. Just to check, I googled it yesterday, and Shoreline of Tahoe had listed it on google products. Since I have been incessantly monitoring vendors online to find one, I called.

http://www.shorelineoftahoe.com/store/p ... uctid=7404

Oh yeah. Just got em, in-stock. I'm in mount shasta, 1 day ups ground, free shipping. They have a 162 as well - at least yesterday they did.

Will mount bindings, and post pic l8r.

Edit: Bummer. On attaching Voile hardware an insert blew out... Was not torquing on it much at all. It's 1 of the 3 inserts on the ascent mode toe/pin interface bracket. It's in there, but spinning. I can't even get my hardware off now. Unless I drilled the screw out or something drastic. Any suggestions?

Going to take it for some groomers tmrw anyways to see how it rides...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi.

Please post pictures.. I have been waiting for mine since october and probably wont get it for at least a week...

What does the build quality seem like? Should I be worried about the insert on mine as well?

I talked to the european sales rep (headquarters in Austria) and they told me they have had quite a lot of difficulties with the manufacturer in China. Which explains the 3 months delay.....

Guess im just tired of waiting while all of my friends go out to play.

Cant wait to mount the karakorams on it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi.

Please post pictures.. I have been waiting for mine since october and probably wont get it for at least a week...

What does the build quality seem like? Should I be worried about the insert on mine as well?

I talked to the european sales rep (headquarters in Austria) and they told me they have had quite a lot of difficulties with the manufacturer in China. Which explains the 3 months delay.....

Guess im just tired of waiting while all of my friends go out to play.

Cant wait to mount the karakorams on it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 pm 

Just picked mine up on Tues. Snagged a 158 via our local Burton rep. Haven't put 'er on snow yet, still waiting for the last few pieces of mounting hardware from Voile. I'm stoked on the design, camber profile and weight so far (for what that's worth considering I haven't actually ridden it). I have a few days off next week so if the avy conditions improve a bit around here I'm hoping to get out for a rip or two. I'll post a full review when I do...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:17 pm 

I haven't ridden one, but there's a few in the LA burton store. I was pretty surprised- the build quality looks pretty low. I had been planning on getting one since september but decided against it- I hope it works out for you guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 am 

Took the bird for a tour yesterday, 5 miles rnd trip including the downs. Performed great. What a sweet ride. Conditions here in Shasta are less than ideal, minor sun cupping, with 3-4 inches of slush freeze on top with crust in areas. Snow conditions aside - I can only say that the Mojo 166 I was riding last season is a DOG compared to this board. Fun, Fun, Fun. It felt so solid underfoot, carvy, turning, and when going mach across the grain on the crusty runnels it powered through. The centered stance is fantastic - at least that is how I had it setup riding yesterday. The nose and tail are very shallow - concerned about the nose. While skinning I was having to adjust my stride/leg-lift when traveling through uneven crusty terrain because the tips were just begging to catch in the snow. Once I adjusted though it really skinned well - never noticed the rockered setup affecting skiining.

As for build quality, I would say it looks pretty good. The first question I asked the sales rep at Shoreline was "how's the build quality?" He concurred it looked solid. That being said, I would think future production runs would look even better.

New blaze bindings, plus some fresh stiff K2 boots - very refreshing riding experience in the BC. The Blaze bindings + stiffer boot makes for a solid side hill experience. Like the blaze pin interface for sure, but their little plastic hole inserts need to be rethought. Also, on the way out across the lake I was able to full-on skate ski without my skins across the whole lake! That was a first, which I attribute to the Freebird+Blaze+new-super-supportive-K2 Thraxis boots.

Had the Blaze Mr.Chomps on the whole time - they really are easy to put in/take out. The Mr Chomps don't fully lock down like the voiles which in some bomber ice situations can be really nice, but they held their own. The climbing assist on the chomps works well. Drove straight up steep crust no problem. The depth and size of the chomp's teeth are small (and lighter) than the voile cramp-ons. Scraped the crap out of both skis will adjusting to skinning with the chomps+new boots... twice caught the deck on the cramp on while skinning. I hope to scrape the crap out of the rest of the deck too - I like to use my gear!

The K2 Thraxis boots are really nice as well. Light, triple boa's (aka Triple-Screw-You-$$$). I have skinny bone/muscle structure - and the triple boa really lets me cinch down the system well. The great benefit of the boa in the BC is you can just reach down pop the boa's, flex the ankles and the whole system loosens up for the ascent.

A few things:
1. Is the Freebird designed to ride with a centered stance?
2. Why such a shallow/low nose? Right out of the gate today I noticed it digging into things a bit more than I'm used to - I am adjusting, but a bit worried about plowing through trenches, etc... and endo-ing.
3. Another issue that was prevalent today: The nose clip pops off under stress while riding. Granted I was going mach across runnels in crust, but the nose should not separate in those conditions. In fact, just placing the board on the carpet with bindings on, and stepping down on the lower part of the nose will pop the nose clip.

l8r/chad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:44 am 

Pics taken via phone:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:43 am 

Looks nice!

Is that "faux touring distress chic" I see on the topsheet?

Not a bad idea!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm 

Chadical wrote:
A few things:
1. Is the Freebird designed to ride with a centered stance?
2. Why such a shallow/low nose? Right out of the gate today I noticed it digging into things a bit more than I'm used to - I am adjusting, but a bit worried about plowing through trenches, etc... and endo-ing.
3. Another issue that was prevalent today: The nose clip pops off under stress while riding. Granted I was going mach across runnels in crust, but the nose should not separate in those conditions. In fact, just placing the board on the carpet with bindings on, and stepping down on the lower part of the nose will pop the nose clip.

l8r/chad

Thanks for the review and pics!

As for your issues:
1. Pretty sure this board isn't meant to be ridden truly centered. Although it's rockered, it takes activating the camber in the rear 2/3 of the board to make the nose rocker come alive. So I'd say back it up a bit. That's probably why it felt divey when skinning as well--compress that rear camber and it makes the nose rocker pop up, keeping 'er afloat while skinning too.

2. The low/shallow nose are part of the Burton "Side Effects". That's the elongated contact points at the tip and tail--makes for better flotation as well as more surface area at the tip and tail to keep you floating when it's deep.

3. Stumped on this one...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:01 pm 

Thanks for the insight Dangerous E - will back er up a bit.

Waiting to hear back from Burton on the nose clip before I send board in for warranty on the spinning insert.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:16 am 

Quote:
The nose clip pops off under stress while riding.

You've got to be kidding me, Burton still hasn't fixed this issue! There's a bunch of chatter on this site about this issue dating back a few years. JimW moved his hooks closer to the tip, this obviously involves putting more holes in your board. I use duct tape. Yes, before every drop I duct tape the freakin clip shut. Tex doesn't give a shit and let's it fly. Unless you love coffee, weed and mumble some funny shit, you don't wanna be like Tex.

I can tell you from experience, it sucks to be in a 50 degree chute and see your board halves pointed in opposite directions.

It blows my mind that Burton didn't fix this well known problem. :nononno: :nononno:

Can big manufacturers like Burton, Nidedecker, or K2 consistently make quality splits without the personal love of a shop shredder?