Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile mojo RX vs Burton Freebird vs Prior Khyber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 am 

Hi. I am planning to go for a rockered board this year. Beeing 78 kg Voile recommend 166 cm board for me. But when I look at the measures on RX 161 vs Freebird 162 vs Khyber 160 I can't see why the 161 isn't right for me? Its got the rockered nose and tapered tail. Is 166 just old school looong board? or what I need?

Orjan

Post subject: Re: Voile mojo RX vs Burton Freebird vs Prior Khyber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 am 

Burton :thumbsdown: Prior-never ridden one, the Mojo Rx we kind of discussed this in the Voile thread. Really depends on riding style.166=Pow killer 161= more all around board.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 pm 

Burton - Haven't ridden the Freebird, can't comment.

Voile Mojo - I wasn't impressed. Nothing negative to say, just nothing about it that's best in class. I think they cost less though.

Prior Khyber - I added a Khyber to the quiver this year, love it. However, it's a very powder-specific directional shape. It's perfect for steep chutes or trees in soft snow and mine is getting a lot of use here in the Wasatch. If you plan to frequently ride snow that isn't soft, I would look at either the Backcountry Split or AMF from Prior.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 am 

Khyber 160 vs Mojo rx 161
Nose 30.9 / 30.7
Waist 25.5 / 25.5
Tail 28.7 / 28.7
Taper 2.2 / 2.0
Radius 8m / 8m
Eff. le. 1118 / 1115

They look pretty simular to me. Why is the rx 161 "too short" for powder? I am asking because I need to convince my self to buy the rx. Prior is to expensive in Norway.

Orjan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:42 am 

I don't think the Mojo is "too short" for powder, I just don't like the board as much as other options. In my opinion, the Khyber has more snap and responsiveness to it. I bought it specifically for steep chutes and trees, it is very fast edge to edge and floats well enough.

I have the 170 Khyber and I weigh 97kg. I typically run longer boards than this but I do like the Khyber at this length for me.

My point in my previous post was that if you're riding mostly powder, the Khyber is great. If you're riding mostly firm snow, you should take a look at the other two Priors I mentioned.

Is Venture too expensive where you are? I haven't ridden this years Storm but it didn't change much over last year and I would strongly recommend that over a Mojo as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:25 am 

The Rx is nothing like the mojo of old. It's SUPER light. Rockered nose (could be rockered more) helps keep the nose up and sits down well on landings. High quality construction, I have 3 splitties, two capped one side-walled. The two I prefer most are my capped although it makes no sense why they capped the inner edge except to shed a little more weight. I would go 161 but I'm a little lighter. I've putzed around with Priors and nothing about them makes me think there better in any way, more expensive for sure. Never ridden one though so I couldn't comment on pop compared to the Rx but I like the pop on the Rx. It's a super poppy board but that's my style so I would probably say that about a lot of boards. That said the RX is defenitely a pow board.

I would post up a full review but I'm old school and feel you need to ride a board at least a season in multiple conditions and multiple features (e.g. steep coolies, hardpack, pow cliff days, etc.) before you can make real opinion. So far so good though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 pm 

Wasatch_Don wrote:
Prior Khyber - I added a Khyber to the quiver this year, love it. However, it's a very powder-specific directional shape. It's perfect for steep chutes or trees in soft snow and mine is getting a lot of use here in the Wasatch. If you plan to frequently ride snow that isn't soft, I would look at either the Backcountry Split or AMF from Prior.

I bought a Khyber a year ago and it's become my board of choice 90% of the time. Awesome in the powder, it's also excellent on the hardpack or groomers. I will say that I choose traditional camber for my rides; I like the feel of a full edge, and that may make a difference on the harder snow. I was about to order a split Khyber, but found a killer deal on a primo used Backcountry Split in the same size, so I went with that for the time being. It's basically an MFR on steroids, and having owned two MFRs, I know the board and it's a good one, too.

Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:55 am 

UTAH wrote:
I would post up a full review but I'm old school and feel you need to ride a board at least a season in multiple conditions and multiple features (e.g. steep coolies, hardpack, pow cliff days, etc.) before you can make real opinion. So far so good though.

While maybe not a full year I strongly agree with this.

I personally like shorter boards for skinning and technical lines.

If you are looking for a great all around board I would consider both the Voile and the Freebird. Both are playful and light. The freebird being more of a freestyle feel and the Voile being a all mountain feel.

Without a doubt Prior makes quality board but I would go down this road if you wanted a powder specific ride. From my experience these boards are great for wide open alpine areas but are limited in less then marginal conditions.

I think its been mentioned before but the Venture Zepher is a great ride in powder conditions. It seems lately whenever we have gotten a huge storm it has been my go to board.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 am 

Some Mojo RX thoughts...I find it fun and light. I agree that it could use more of a rockered nose or at least a higher nose. When breaking trail in deep pow while skinning the nose doesn't stay on top as much as I would like. Overall it's a good board and Voile's are definitely a solid value.