Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:42 pm 

Hike this bad boy. You'll get into shape really fast, and you'll realize that you're out of shape real fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:36 am 

road biking and running. can't stand to put the mtn bike on the car and drive. agree running can be brutal, but it's so simple.

no matter how fit i've been, gravity sure seems awfully active that first trip (or 4) of the year.

wondering if anyone (flatlanders unite) has ever seen/used a small air intake device, you keep in your mouth while exercising to replicate (the joy) of working out at elevation. $20, or so.

i think i should combine LikeLink and PJ's workouts 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:17 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
Hike this bad boy. You'll get into shape really fast, and you'll realize that you're out of shape real fast.

What's with all the switchbacks? :roll: :twisted:

de prisa de prisa rumbo perdido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:22 am 

powderjunkie wrote:

What's with all the switchbacks? :roll: :twisted:

de prisa de prisa rumbo perdido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:27 am 

Digdug, I have seen this device but they cost a little more. The "walkers" model is 60 bucks and the "pro" model is about 90 bucks. It puts resistance against your lungs and a serious runner friend of mine swears by it. He says it is just like running ( not on your legs of course) on your lungs. Although you wont build up leg strenght you can really add to you lung capacity. That means a bigger "HIT"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:27 am 

Last season I hiked this small mtn 2x/week pre-season which is only 5700' to the top - but 1600' vert from my front door. Would wear 5 lb ankle weights & later backpack w/weight to mimic BC. Helped a ton last season vs. 1st season. Lots of deer, turkeys, grouse, & other wildlife that helps the trip be unboring. So far this year - damn - I better start something soon. Snowed last night!! : :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:31 pm 

While running is hard on the body, it gets results much faster. I can get a better work out running up hills for an hour then I do on my bike riding for three.

I prefer to work out in blocks of three days and rest for two. I don't follow any specific plans, just to get out alot and keep things interesting. I find that 2 week breaks of doing nothing every few months keeps things from growing stale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:35 pm 

Hey Digdug,

I've never used any device like that, but I'm skeptical that it would help you much at altitude. I've always heard that you should 'sleep high' (not that kind of high, p420) and 'train low'.

The body responds to the low air pressure of high altitudes by increasing hematocrit levels, which is the density of red blood cells in a sample of blood. Your body can only create new red blood cells so fast, so it takes a few days to aclimatize to higher elevation. That's why some bike racers sleep in hypobaric (low oxygen) environments.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,49085,00.html

My guess is that if you trained while sucking through a straw, you would have to run lighter workouts and you would actually end up with your musculature in worse shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:48 pm 

Hey Digdug,

I've never used any device like that, but I'm skeptical that it would help you much at altitude. I've always heard that you should 'sleep high' (not that kind of high, p420) and 'train low'.

The body responds to the low air pressure of high altitudes by increasing hematocrit levels, which is the density of red blood cells in a sample of blood. Your body can only create new red blood cells so fast, so it takes a few days to aclimatize to higher elevation. That's why some bike racers sleep in hypobaric (low oxygen) environments.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,49085,00.html

My guess is that if you trained while sucking through a straw, you would have to run lighter workouts and you would actually end up with your musculature in worse shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:48 pm 

This time of year I like a 3 day cycle followed by a rest day or two Thursdays I do a hard run 10-16k or an attempt at running the Grouse grind, Fridays I climb or boulder all day, and I top if off with a long hike or bike ride. The rest of the week I am active doing easy trips with the woman which for me end up like active recovery days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:49 pm 

This time of year I like a 3 day cycle followed by a rest day or two Thursdays I do a hard run 10-16k or an attempt at running the Grouse grind, Fridays I climb or boulder all day, and I top if off with a long hike or bike ride. The rest of the week I am active doing easy trips with the woman which for me end up like active recovery days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:49 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:26 am 

Regarding running vs. cycling, I'd rather wreck my knees than hurt 'little SanFrantastico'...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/243253_seats04.html