Post subject: Re: Help with new splitboard purchase
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:11 pm 

BUILD YOUR OWN SPLITBOARD!

But if not...

Unity
Winterstick
Venture

In that order...
Be safe out there and worry more about staying alive in the BC than what board your gonna ride!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Be safe out there and worry more about staying alive in the BC than what board your gonna ride!

And especially what it looks like. If I was you I'd buy a season pass and learn to ride better before buying all the bc gear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 pm 

pow_hnd wrote:
I have both a Prior Backcountry 165 Hybird Rocker and a Venture Zephyr 164 Rocker

Previous to these boards I had a Prior Backcountry 161 and then a DIY GNU Temple Cummins..

I love both boards, but I like the Venture the most.

The Prior rides great but the Hybird rocker just isn't as good as the tip/tail only rocker of the Venture. It's kinda hard to describe but the Prior almost always feels like it wants to "wheelie" when your in pow, it also can feel like it returns a little too much energy when your popping out of a turn and about to transition into another one... The Venture on the other hand just feels a lot more predictable... You notice the rocker but only in the right way, it doesn't seem to mess with my turns, but you know it's there when your in some bottomless Utah 4%-5% density pow, it defiantly rides like a rocker board though, you can tell it's less effort on your part to ride that board... I love both boards though... I really only bought the Venture because I had plenty of extra $$$... If my $$$ situation had been different I would have been happy as a clam riding my Prior.... It also could be psychological as I like the whole Venture story... Small, employs snowboarders, FSC wood, wind powered factory, hand made in the US and so forth...

YMMV

Thanks for your insight and comparison between the two boards. It really helps understand the differences between products and personal preference as well.

They look like a nice duo!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:23 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
BUILD YOUR OWN SPLITBOARD!

But if not...

Unity
Winterstick
Venture

In that order...

Thanks for your opinion. I'd like to build my own one of these days!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:28 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
PedroDelfuego wrote:

And especially what it looks like. If I was you I'd buy a season pass and learn to ride better before buying all the bc gear.

Definitely good advice! I'm pretty smart when it comes to knowing what I'm getting myself into and won't get in over my head. I know where I need to focus my riding ability before REALLY getting out to the bc.

P.S. I ended up ordering the Prior Kyhber last week. But I ordered it without all the mounting hardware. I'm gonna hold out for the karakoram's and give those a shot. Unless they are on backorder for too long. So it will just be the board and skins coming in a few weeks.