Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakoram?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 pm 

wow that mellowed out quickly. thank god there is a new shit talk thread. :)

Quote:
My recent posts were motivated by irritation at some of the personal attacks on them and their company.

Russman(rughty,BGnight) this is the exact reason from the beginning UTAH, Snurfer, and me got heated at the stabs at voile. All of us have agreed that they could do more in the way of introducing new products and upgrades to the system, but most of your post seemed to take personal stabs at voile and the creators of the system. Just like the guys behind karakoram are close friends of yours, the guys at Voile are close friends of ours. When personal attacks and false accusations are made on your friends, tempers flare. in real life I have seen people get the living fuck beat out of them for a lot less than has been said on here.
That being said me, snurfer, and UTAH have all gone to voile saying hey there are a lot of riders out there that are not too happy with voile, you need to get your shit together now. They have been receptive to it and I have had promises made that a larger focus will be put on the splitboard part of their industry. Time will tell if that is true or not, likewise time will tell if K bindings are worth a shit in a few years. Karakoram and Jones will both have major issues at one point or another, it happens to every company at some point, it's how they handle it that defines the character of the company and I guess that is why i have always stood by Voile. My snowboard rides just fine so for me its more about durability and simplicity. Like i have said in every post regarding karakoram i wish them the best and respect them for taking a risk, the jury is still out how durable they will be and what issues will arise with the system.

In the end non of it matters i will probably never buy a karakoram set up and i'm sure you will never buy a new voile set up. I just hope in the future when it comes to gear reviews of jones, karakoram, etc... I can actually see a review of the intended product and not just a half assed crying fit about how much voile sucks.

Like snurfer said a long time ago the internet is a really bad place to judge someones character, it's hard to get a read on them and and how serious they are about what they are saying.

happy touring

~WS~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:32 pm 

Soooooo, anybody try those karakorams and have reviews or input?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
Soooooo, anybody try those karakorams and have reviews or input?

I really like mine.. but I'm a total newb with nothing else to compare them to, hence my review is worthless :lol:

They don't ride significantly different than my Rome Targas from what I can tell. I also had the great pleasure of having to side hill a regularly in Roger's Pass, and they do that really well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 pm 

I don't even know if I want to chime in now...

I've known the Klosters most of their lives and probably helped build the bindings the lucky 100 have been riding. So, I'm jaded. I admit it. I put in a few years at Ride during the Preston years in the binding department, Level 3 alpine, level 2 snowboard, tele, snowskate, etc and have been associated with the "industry" since the early '90s, blah, blah, blah... I'm no splitty expert since I just started last year but I will say that I started on a Burton with Voile stuff and swapping over to a DIY with the K system was like an epiphany. Weighed way less and was nearly as responsive as the ride prior to cutting the board. Huge difference would be an understatement. Sure there are "issues" with initial release even though they have been in work for a long time now. I personally really like a lot of aspects about them and have voiced some concerns too. Do I have personal comments about the other players in the game? Sure. Do you all care? Probably not. But, here you go. I met Will 2 years ago at SIA and he seems like a real great guy. Lots of respect there. Voile? I agree that they have sat on their "laurels" for some time and this is a good wake up call for them. I hope they do step up. Cautiously optimistic there.

It's a good thing though that there is some friendly competition. For all of us. And...

...yeah, Russ's comments makes me cringe every now and then too... :)

Maybe I'll see ya'll at Sketchy T's slope side party. IF he finds some beer sluts. :bananas:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:54 pm 

I didn't wade through every page of this thread, but I read enough to be able to follow along. And it's funny, because I have the Voile stuff and while I would never say it's as trick or tech as the R&D or Karakoram offerings, I'm pretty happy with what I do have...really happy actually! Sure, it's the same pucks and plates that have been around for a long time but this is my first splitboard and I'm just stoked to be able to ditch the snowshoes and enjoy a ski touring-like ascent and a snowboarding-like descent. :)

I've never been one to automatically gravitate towards the latest and greatest, yet at the same time I'm excited to see the direction this sport is going as it seems like I'm getting into it at the right time and in a few years there could be a ton of options to choose from. The fact is that Voile (board and binding interface) has provided me with an affordable option to get into splitboarding with their Mojo package so I'm tickled pink. I only have a couple days on my setup but it's a blast. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:18 am 

BGnight wrote:
WhitePine wrote:
BGnight wrote:
Blazes are really nice in pow, but they're just too flimsy for hard pack although they will get you by and there really isn't a better alternative. I won't even get into light rails :wink:

How exactly are Sparks too flimsy? They are solid airplane grade aluminum. Sure, everything flexes to some degree but several times when I ride my split inbounds and I hit hard pack I've noticed how much more solid they feel than a traditional binding. Aren't Karakorams aluminum as well?

Please explain.

i can roll my foot sideways both ways with ease when strapped in. That's not suppose to happen. Flex is ok, but I shouldn't be able to literally lift my sole completely side to side. I love the feel in powder and they're even fine on chalky snow, but on hard pack at high speeds they feel dangerously unsupportive. I thought russman was full of crap talking about lateral support with the extra material down the side being significant. But he's correct that it makes a huge difference. The sides of the foot need some sort of material to lean against in the binding to keep the foot from lifting

but like i said, i'm happy with them and they get the job done in most situations.

Sparks aren't anywhere near as supportive as regular bindings. Not sure why you would think that. It's not even close. My homemade Ride binders that rughty welded (see DIY thread) and constructed for me were soooo much nicer feeling and supportive than the Blazes. Unfortunately they bent a tad too much or I'd still have my Blazes in the box.

Interesting point about the side material. Hadn't ever really thought about that! I wonder if it would help if you stepped down a baseplate size? So that it's narrower, and the strap ends and heel cup are closer to the sides of your boot. But I can see how the lack of side material might be an issue though. Pretty much all regular bindings have at least a little bit of a ridge around the perimeter. I think in the Karakoram case, it's more of a side effect of the desigh - there are separate front and back pieces to the base, and the heel cup needs to hold them both together. The bonus is you get that extra bit of support on the side. The old Ignitions have a raised piece all the way down the side too, but more like the size of a normal binding as opposed to the Karakorams. Anyway, interesting point.

I got to try out some Karakoram prototypes this past spring, and I was really pleased with them. Always meant to put up a review but got busy with a bunch of stuff and haven't been on the forum as much lately. Had no idea this thread was so out of hand! At the risk of actually dispensing some useful information, I may try to post up an actual review. I'm scared of you guys though... :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:14 am 

jimw wrote:
I got to try out some Karakoram prototypes this past spring, and I was really pleased with them. Always meant to put up a review but got busy with a bunch of stuff and haven't been on the forum as much lately. Had no idea this thread was so out of hand! At the risk of actually dispensing some useful information, I may try to post up an actual review. I'm scared of you guys though... :)

Be afraid. Be very afraid...:lol: Good to see you posting again Jim!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm 

I will throw in my 2cents. I have been riding my Karakorams every weekend since mid october.
Other than breaking a toe strap and having mounting screws loosen up on me a few times I not had any issues. I have even been resort riding a few times with my split when we got totally dumped on and conditions were sketchy.
In fact every time I switch them from one mode to another I am still saying "fuck yeah". I spend more time messing with my skins than I do with bindings. I try to hose them up. They really take a lot of ice and snow build up to not clip in easily. And it has never once been an issue like it was with voile pucks and sliders. For me this is the new way. It is fast and easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm 

zerodog wrote:
...I spend more time messing with my skins than I do with bindings...

I thought this was normal :scratch:

Goes to show... this is my first set-up, and I find skins to be a pain in the butt. The rest of the transition is pretty easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm 

Zee wrote:
zerodog wrote:
...I spend more time messing with my skins than I do with bindings...

I thought this was normal :scratch:

Goes to show... this is my first set-up, and I find skins to be a pain in the butt. The rest of the transition is pretty easy.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:35 pm 

Soooo, has anyone been to the Jones or Mervin SIA booths yet??? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 pm 

They have some pics up on their Facebook page. They've lightened up the bindings, and the highback is different. Looks like they will be a lot nicer than the this years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 pm 

Show went really well.

The new version I believe is still called the Superlight and has a carbon fiber highback along with other weight reducing features. It's going to be an option along with the "standard" Split30 version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next