Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winterstick ST pics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:56 pm 

Sorry, couldn't get great pics of the camber cuz I have no camera skillz.
Have a couple slight issues mounting the K clips still left to hash out, but everything's good to go. As is now, there's a very slight offset when I put the clips on.
Board isn't light, but I knew it wouldn't be. Imo, it looks like just the right amount of early rise in the nose. Construction is bomber and it's actually a tad less stiff than I was expecting which isn't a bad thing cuz most ST's are usually super stiff.

My initials 8)

They used nuts and phillips for both the tip clips and chinese hooks. Super tight and snappy. Might have to replace these with lighter nuts:

There was a gap, but it's gone now with the K clips. I was arguing w/ rughty about gaps. I could care less and believe there is absolutely no noticeable affect on riding, but a lot of you think there is. But I'm right so that's all that matters.

Post subject: Re: Winterstick ST pics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:53 pm 

That board is LAME!!!! Now go ride it and tell us all how much it sucks. :mrgreen: you're also full of shit and wrong!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:39 pm 

Kick ass, mine is here on Wed. :disco: I asked for a little extra stiffness, so we'll see how it turns out. My Karakoram's are waiting for me at my office. Now we just need this ridge to break down. It was damn near 50 deg at 9k feet today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:27 pm 

tilted, you're gonna have to replace two of the screws to use karakoram clips as two of the screws from original chinese hooks that screw directly into the clips are different sizes. I just used two off an old board.
This board is still stiffer than the Jones, Ventures, NS's and probably every other split out there except maybe mojos. And yes mojos were super fucking stiff (I've had monkeys try to tell me they were soft. my voile mojo was the stiffest split ive ever felt. too stiff imo) I'm sure yours will be stiff enough :thumpsup: Mine feels like perfect stiffness and dampness hand flexing.

Suuuper pleased with the graphics. Crazy how thick the sidewalls are in the nose too. Not a kiddie board! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:42 am 

Ok, I'll PM you if I have questions, perhaps the screw was a mishap? The graphics do look stellar, I like you initials on the lower. I had my signon put between the bindings on each half.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 am 

No, they just probably weren't aware of the need to be compatible with Karakoram clips

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:18 am 

Serious sickness :headbang:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:25 pm 

BG, that board looks tight and should be a steep couloir killer!
Have you hand flexed the 2011 Venture Storms? I am just curious as the 2011s are noticeably stiffer than the 2010s.
In any case, please let us know your riding impressions at your earliest convenience.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm 

Thanks a lot for posting the pics. It looks really nice and like they did a great job.

I'm sort of in the market at the moment for a new split and this is at the top of the list, so count me in as also looking forward to hearing your impressions after you get it on snow.

It is funny that you mention that you thought that the mojo was stiff since I've always thought of it being kinda soft, but I went upstairs and hand-flexed it alongside a solid Prior Khyber (which I find rides pretty stiff) and a solid Rossi Jeremy Jones (which I find rides super stiff, maybe a little too stiff for my taste for bottomless snow), and sure enough, the mojo felt the stiffest. Weird. I know they're all different boards with different shapes, tapers, etc., but I see what you're saying. Anywho, I think stiff is good in a split, as long as it still feels surfy enough in powder.

Also I'd love to hear what you think of the biggish sidecut (10.5 I think) and the boards weight on a winter tour.

Looks like an awesome all-around split that will last a long time. Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:28 pm 

Wel upgraded, I basically have been riding the same winterstick split for 5 years. It's almost the same design and sidecut and I love it. I just wanted it in rockered nose and my old one is finally losing life. I've always dug big radiuses. I rode a 166 ST solid for a few seasons and the best thing about these boards is the dampness. What they lacked for feel in powder I think I'm getting back w/ the early rise nose now. Everything else they crush.

Barrows, haven't flexed any new Ventures. I mean, it's not as stiff as my old 166 solid. Feels stiff but not super snappy and tight like the mojo was, so I think it's a better flex for pow.

Be warned, when you pick it up the word "tank" comes into mind, but imo I think the benefits from the beef cancel out a few extra ounces.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm 

"Be warned, when you pick it up the word "tank" comes into mind, but imo I think the benefits from the beef cancel out a few extra ounces."

I agree with the above-a stable, damp, board is nice, and is hard (if not impossible) to achieve with really lightweight construction.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:53 pm 

The touring mounts are also moved up about an inche or so more than my old 62 winterstick too. I guess that seems to be the new trend. I think I woulda preferred rivets in the tail clips just cuz the board is already has some weight to it, but the simplicity of the nut/phillips screw is really strong and not a bad idea. Snappiest/tightest clips I've seen. Meh. That can be changed if it bugs me.
The base is DURAJET HIGH-CARBON RACE BASE. Hardest base I've ridden. My old one has zero core shots and I've ridden the piss out of it. I finally rode over a sharks tooth at high speed (resulting in a tomahawk over the bars) this fall and took out a foot long strip of ptex and it still didn't come close to hitting the core.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 am 

That is a sexy ride there BG.