Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: woops, nylon taffeta
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:26 pm 

so a few weeks back i got the voile mojo rx (my first splitboard, i was like a little school girl) and i love it but in all of my excitement (and lack of splitboard knowledge) i threw away the black nylon taffeta strips that go with the skins, and i now im having a hell of a time separating my skins.... by no means am i small guy not that size has to do with anything, but ive always been an athlete in something and these skins make me feel like a bitch.... my real concern is for safety, at times just taking my skins apart takes easily over 5 minutes
so im wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i can do to help take my skins apart a bit easier.....

thanks.

Post subject: Re: woops, nylon taffeta
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 am 

I think you might have thrown away the cheat sheets(black mesh stuff). No loss. Go to the fabric store and get a couple strips of actual nylon taffeta(1.5" wide) and place that down the center of your skins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 am 

In time the skins will be easier to get apart. The skin saver just adds one more thing to deal with IMO. The best is to not get caught up trying to separate these monster wide skins by arms alone... use your lower body to help. My skins have been used enough to pull apart fairly easy but if they have been warmed up in my jacket they can still be a bear once and a while. I will generally always opt to use my knees/legs to help with skin separation, speed in transition is KEY! Especially if you ride with telly or AT skiers.

Here is a vid that shows the knee/leg trick!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mayZW1sz2cU

And never pull the skins apart when hooked to the tip of the board :banghead:

Have tried the 1/3 fold method too but still go back to the standard fold in half and go mode.

One thing that really helped me quicken my transition speed is watching online videos of rondenee ski racing. You can pick up some simple tricks from these guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 am 

ive been using the cheat sheets but they rip apart every time i take them off, so ive decided to stop using them, i guess ill try some fabric stores for the taffeta strips.....

ive even tried using my lower body, once i had someone help me because it was taking so long and they couldnt believe they were so tough to take apart... well ill be looking forward to the day they dont stick as well.

appreciate the info guys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 am 

petersami wrote:
...they were so tough to take apart...
I posted this in another thread -- it might be helpful so I'm pasting it here as well:

I'm using this thing called Skinny to protect my skins' glue, to ease transitions and to lower the force needed to tear the folded skins apart:

http://www.splitboardshop.eu/shop/artic ... id%3D14%26

http://www.splitboardshop.eu/.media/972248410402.png

A similar thing is available from Colltex:
Colltex ProSkin

http://www.baechli-bergsport.ch/Protect ... 00x512.jpg