Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Advice on a board to split...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 pm 

Hello,

I have to opportunity to score a new board for very cheap (better than Pro Deal) that I would get a split kit for. Never heard of the brand but it would be this model...

http://www.rampsports.com/store/snowboa ... train.html

So two questions...

Is this board worth it?

And also, I normally ride a Wide 162 but I've heard from people that due to the risers when doing a DIY Split, big feet won't drag (I'm a size 13)

Whadaya think?

thanks,

-B

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on a board to split...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 pm 

Never heard of it, and I wouldn't trust it to split. Its MSRP is $299, chances are its not that stiff or solid build construction, and when you split it, it will be more like a noodle. Unless you get it for like 20 bucks, then go for it, but my thought is it will be money thrown away.

Bnice wrote:
And also, I normally ride a Wide 162 but I've heard from people that due to the risers when doing a DIY Split, big feet won't drag (I'm a size 13)
Once you decide to get a new bindings (which you will), this statment will be negated.

My thought is wait for something better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 pm 

cool beans, thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 am 

Bnice,

Chris Taylor here, Product Manager for RAMP Sports.

I wanted to take a second to respond to your question as we are a new company to the market and for sure there are a lot of people wondering who we are and if our products are actually good riding or good quality.

Right now there are for sure a lot of "Garage" brands out there as well as reputable brands out there not building quality product which are designed by people who have no clue what they are really doing.

I want to first address the "Deals" we are giving. Basically, we have cut out many middle men within our business model and are able to sell top quality gear while offering "BRO" deals and industry deals to those who qualify. Actually everybody qualifies for our "Bro" deal. Our business model is one where we are inviting our customers to become involved with our brand.

As far as our product is concerned, I personally have been involved with ski and snowboard construction, building and development for over 15 years. I have worked directly for 4 major brands and have consulted for a few brands on their product development. Our president has worked for 30 years for a major brand, and actually started as a factory worker and has a ton of experience with product development. Our Engineer also has an amazing amount of experience and has been an engineer and top tester for a top manufacturer. So as far as our level of experience that we all bring to the table, I am confident that our team is quite capable of delivering quality product.

As for our production of product, we spent a lot of time deciding where to "press" our products. We took the time to visit a ton of factories to make our choice. Our decision on which factory to use was not only based on the quality of materials used, but also the quality of the finished product and the level of technology offered. With many of the factories we visited I was surprised that they did not have access to good base material, edges or finishing equipment. On top of that the style of molds they used opened up the potential of poor quality finished products. On top of that there was limited ability for us to prototype properly to ensure the best product.

The factory we chose allowed us to use a variety of core materials as well as the best top sheets and bases available. For our cores we of course chose wood. In particular we opted to use poplar due to the feel, durability and flex characteristics. All of our boards are a vertical laminate construction using an ABS sidewall. Sidewall material was also a key component for us as we did look at UMHV (P-Tex) sidewalls as well.

For our prototyping process we spent numerous days on snow and numerous revisions to ensure our product rode well and was at a quality that surpassed many of the choices available on the market. We also had a variety of ability of riders testing, from gapers to Olyimpic medalists.

I am sorry for being long winded on this, but as a new company I feel it is important for people to actually know that we are not some bogus brand that doesn't have a clue. If there are any further questions you may have, please feel free to contact me directly at chris.taylor@rampsports.com

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 am 

Chris,

You do realize that we are talking about taking a saw to rip one of your boards in half, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 pm 

Chris,

I seem to have possibly offended you, so as the one skeptical, let me clarify a little bit what I was thinking on my previous comment. I was not meaning to say the company or board was bad, but I meant to say that it won't be good suited to split in half. Here is what lead me to this:

Your site is minimal for materials used on the board. You have a "speed rating", that can be 3-8, 4-9, or some random number in a wide range. This board in question was on the lower end of your "speed rating" so I figured it wasn't a freeride board. But this rating system I feel is hard to interpret. Things such as board flex, dampness help to determine if a board will make a good freeride board for a particular person. I think your company would benefit greatly by posting details on each board, and materials used. At 299, it makes me skeptical what went into it.

Most of your boards are short at <161. Your boards seem to be taylored to the park rider. This is great for your company, as they make up about 90% of the market, and a smart business move. But on this site, we are looking for freeride boards to cut in half. I was not trying to knock your company, but I still don't think they will be well suited to ride backcountry once a saw cuts them in half.

I personally do not care the name of the company that makes a board, if you are cutting it in half, it needs to be stiff first and foremost, and a board suited for freeriding. We are not talking about riding your boards on resorts, thats a whole new story. I'm sure your boards are nice for that, but on this site, we don't care about resorts.

I apologize if I offended you with my comment, and I hope that helps clarify what I meant. Good luck to your company in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:49 pm 

Hey Chris,

Looks like you guys make snowboards and skis. Seems like making splitboards should be a doable thing. Not sure where you actually manufacture your gear at (would be nice to know too). Might be a small market, but if you have a small flexible company, why not? Might sell a few extra boards and you will get lots of great technical feedback from people who will put your boards to test.

I agree with Summersgone. Need more relevant information on your website about the boards.

Give us the nuts and bolts: base material, core material and layup, shape with dimensions (sidecut, tip/waist/tail/setback etc). I'd say the more hard numbers you put down, the better. Also, give us more information on the camber/rocker profile your boards have. Since you guys are not putting these boards in shops, I would think that this means you need to go overboard on posting as much information on-line as you can. Post videos of the engineers talking about why they did what they did...you know...get us stoked to buy your gear for good reasons.

For us non-park riders, you may want to consider putting out a powder board? Capita (a long with countless other manufactures) did/do this and my friend loves his Charlie Slasher. He now sees why a powder specific board is so nice.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

-Kef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:49 pm 

Hey all....For sure didn't think you were trying to knock our gear. Just wanted to make sure to drop some insight for those on this forum as we are new and offer some insight onto construction and quality.

I appreciate all of the comments put on this forum as we are always trying to make sure we offer the information people want on our site.

One of our initial goals was to make things simple not to confuse some. Hence my offer to personally answer any questions people have.

We do have product tech sheets under each product that are very simple. I agree that for most the 160 will be short for a pow/splitboard. At this early stage for our company we did not want to offer longer boards, but do have the ability to as well as build splitboards.

Please feel free to contact us with any suggestions, questions or comments other than what has been posted.

Chris