Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bozeman Montana Jan 14th-17th - Bridgers, Crazies, TRoots...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm 

Howdy Bozemanites-

I live in Missoula and a buddy and I are taking a trip that way this weekend (Jan 14th,15th,16th,17th). We are dragging along the snowmachines to make things more efficient and we're looking to head up to Fairy/Frazier area. The guy I'm heading with was there just before Christmas, so we are somewhat familiar with the area..

Anyone care to give us some heads up on conditions and/or want to team up for an outing? It would be cool to link up with some fellow MT splitters! We are both "seasoned" and are ready to get after it if you know what I mean...

Any tips/pointers/not-so-secret-stashes that can be accessed by snowmobile or leg power that we should consider would be much appreciated if you feel inclined to share.. :bow:

We are also looking to go hit the Crazies or Tobacco Roots if anyone with a sled/willpower wants to get out with some Zootown folk..

Would be great to meet some of you, even if its down at the bar! :guinness:

Thanks ya'll!!

-Brett

Post subject: Re: Bozeman Montana Jan 14th-17th - Bridgers, Crazies, TRoots...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:08 am 

Ridgetop wind slabs are to be watched out for right now in the Northern Bridgers. It would be highly suggested to not only dig snow pits on an aspect similar to what you expect to ride while you're down low but also to do a cross-slope ski cut atop your chosen line.

I have no beta on the Crazies or the Tobaccos other than that I've been salivating over them every time I'm out for a bike ride looking off into the distance. I have some friends who rented the Ibex Cabin in the Crazies over Xmas but haven't heard back from them regarding conditions unfortunately.

Post subject: Re: Bozeman Montana Jan 14th-17th - Bridgers, Crazies, TRoots...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:10 am 

Glad to see some other MT splitters swinging this way.

Unfortunately (though I won't complain!) I'll be down in Jackson this weekend, so won't be available to ride with y'all. If the weather doesn't seem that great I would avoid the N Bridgers since it's not the best riding unless you can get on the ridgelines, which will be super buffeted and probably in a whiteout. If you want to get into the Crazies with the sleds I'd check out the cottonwood drainage - otherwise come in from the east via wormser road and you can leave the sleds behind (slightly longer approach). Another spot that might have okay weather if it isn't really windy is up Mission Creek in the Absarokas. In the tobacco roots you could sled in via the S boulder road to the Mt Jefferson area, but I would avoid Bell lake since the yurt brings in additional traffic.

You'll probably be mostly limited by weather and how far you want to slog this weekend, but if you want more details feel free to pm me and I can give you more detailed info on access/the best spots.